• 5 Post By Ciel
  • 4 Post By Ciel
  • 4 Post By seylz_gurl
  • 2 Post By barbis9

Thread: Shop like a Canadian

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was watching CHCH Hamilton news yesterday and they discussed how misleading made in Canada food labels were.

http://www.chch.com/misleading-food-labels/

There is a website that helps figure out which products are actually made in Canada:

http://fooddaycanada.ca/featured-art...ke-a-canadian/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Barb, very helpful!
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks for posting - very interesting and informative.

Silk

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Interesting thanks for the links.

KJH
    Male
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

BTW Beemaid honey uses 100% Canadian honey while Billie Bee does NOT

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Food fraud in the news:

http://www.chch.com/food-fraud-protection/

Chances are you’ve been fooled a time or two when shopping at the grocery store. According to a professor at Dalhousie University who is also a committee member on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the food industry is full of fraud and it’s difficult to find all of the offenders. Common products guilty of fraud range from honey, to olive oils and even coffee, the more a food is processed the easier it is to add other ingredients.Professor Sylvain Charlebois says the biggest offenders are fish distributors, with over 50 species of salmon being sold across the country. Charlebois says you might not get the type of fish you’re expecting.
    “Its very easy to replace one species with another that would be cheaper and those cases are called economically motivated adulterations.”
    Charlebois has also seen substitutions of meat where a consumer will buy pork when they think they’re buying beef. When it comes to coffee experts say you should buy the whole bean because you can actually see what you get but when you buy the kind that has already been ground down you can’t see what’s inside and in some cases there have been reports of twigs, roasted corn and barley used as filler.
    “I suspect that most Canadians don’t even think about food fraud but it is happening and it’s happening a lot.”
    Charlebois suggests consumers talk to their butchers, ask questions about their food and buy reputable brands.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

This says to me--shop around the perimeter of the store--buy as little processed as possible--make your own from scratch.
    Thanks for sharing.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Like the list. Quinoa from Canada-really? All the products I've seen from Costco seem to come from other lands. I don't know if M&M Food markets uses Cdn quinoa or imported quinoa in its Ancient Grains & Quinoa frozen side dish.

Speaking of hemp, I had read in an article that there is a Barrie, ON producer of hemp products under the Hempola name. Where do I find it? I know of Manitoba Harvest-love their hemp seeds.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In the fall issue of Longos Experience magazine, there is mention of a Saskatchewan-milled organic all-purpose flour-$6.99 for 2kg. Plus there are flours of other grains too-all Longos brand. Now I have something to look at in the baking section when I check out some products in more detail.

*Update-on my Sept. 19 visit, I found the all-purpose flour on the endcap with other baking items. The bag is a plain kraft one with boldface black lettering but there was not mention of Sask. on the bag. I've clipped out the magazine reference to tape to a page of products to explore at Longos on future visits (especially Italian ones). Had I not read the magazine, I would not have known the flour's Cdn. connection.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Sep 21st, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Educating myself on pet food this week. Even though a company reports they manufacture a dog food completely in a U.S. or Canadian facility, there’s no way to determine the ingredients weren’t sourced from a foreign producer. I'd like to avoid treats and foods sourced from China but it isn't easy. There have been some scary results. Google Waggin train treats. Dog food is heated, sterilized, irradiated to meet standards but this takes out all the nutrients and minerals. A 'premix' from China boosts the protein so you have to rely on their safety standards. The manufacturer doesn't have to list on the pkg where the premix comes from and most come from there and the facilities where it is made are only checked only every 3 years. Apparently 70% of human vitamins are mostly sourced from China too. Do we make anything here anymore? World trade, greed and capitalism gone haywire.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    Educating myself on pet food this week. Even though a company reports they manufacture a dog food completely in a U.S. or Canadian facility, there’s no way to determine the ingredients weren’t sourced from a foreign producer. I'd like to avoid treats and foods sourced from China but it isn't easy. There have been some scary results. Google Waggin train treats. Dog food is heated, sterilized, irradiated to meet standards but this takes out all the nutrients and minerals. A 'premix' from China boosts the protein so you have to rely on their safety standards. The manufacturer doesn't have to list on the pkg where the premix comes from and most come from there and the facilities where it is made are only checked only every 3 years. Apparently 70% of human vitamins are mostly sourced from China too. Do we make anything here anymore? World trade, greed and capitalism gone haywire.
    My vet said if I am feeding my cat canned food and she throws up - to toss the remaining contents of the can out just to be on the safe side. He says as consumers we have no idea where stuff comes from these days. Pet food is apparently not regulated??

The vitamin thing worries me.
    Last edited by barbis9; Wed, Sep 21st, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Thread Information