User Tag List

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

No gender updates on the baby as the technician said it was inconclusive. I think I'm the only person I know who's ever had 2/2 pregnancies with gender unknown and tried to know before the date. The technician kept writing "breech" over and over again on all the photos, so I hope that part of it isn't final. Third trimester will be approaching in a few weeks.

With all the bad news this summer, I suppose it was our turn for some of it soon. DH's mother was rushed to the hospital last week for vomiting blood. His dad couldn't resist and asked the technician who said it looked like cancer. She will be getting her treatment plan on Tuesday and everyone is trying not to worry until then. I'm a bit annoyed that the technician said that. If I can't be told the gender of a baby at an ultrasound, I don't think technicians should be able to go about handing out a cancer diagnosis and worry the family.

Last night, DH and I watched an episode of House where the patient said goodbye to her mother. I think we will stay away from medical shows for awhile.....

Sometimes I forget that this thread is supposed to be about finances. DH delivered the solid wood crib and sheet set for his co-worker and she "forgot" to give us any money until a week afterwards. I had pretty well written it off at that point. My first used item sale is exciting though!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hung a load out
    went to bulk barn got a 5.00 gift card(no expiry) for handing in my receipt from last week and spending over 15.00 and then to rexall for a prescription and I spent 31.00 so they had a promo spend over 30.00 get a 10.00 promo card good til sept 15
    -gonna pick up ashlyn at daycare today at 3.30 as my son is in a wedding party -will treat her to mcdonalds as we wish to take her to see family after picking her up -my daughter-in-law said she must have went thru a growth spurt as all her size 2 pants are too short -lol
    -nana (me ) got her her favorite cereal at the bulk barn multi-grain cherrios ,gotta give her a bath tonight too -ahhh just love having her sleep over -reminds me of the times my daughter slept over at my mom's and had fun watching Shirley temple movies with her mind you she was 5 then -ashlyn cant really sit thru a full length movie but likes certain kiddie shows -paw patrol , peppa pig
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -gonna pick up ashlyn at daycare today at 3.30 as my son is in a wedding party -will treat her to mcdonalds as we wish to take her to see family after picking her up -my daughter-in-law said she must have went thru a growth spurt as all her size 2 pants are too short -lol
    Lucky you. I remember Ashlyn being a few months behind LO and mine is growing out of size 4 already! All the people who said I would never need to buy a thing because I could borrow it are running out of clothes to give her. She was wearing some size 5s while she was two years old!

Definitely DH's contribution as my side of the family are all vertically challenged. Except perhaps my grandfather who was over 6 ft.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

That lady came for dill, but she also bought Swiss chard and zucchinis for a grand total of $10. I picked a red rhubarb, dozen ripe medium sized tomatoes, a dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, 6 zucchinis, and one cucumber today.

My sister and her boyfriend are coming to visit from Saskatoon. They will be arriving early tomorrow morning and they will be heading back Sunday afternoon. They are both attending the UofS and classes start on Tuesday. She wants to babysit for us Saturday night because we are celebrating our 5yr wedding anniversary on Sunday. Dh and I have been together for 14yrs. Our son is turning 4yrs old on September 9. This weekend is the annual rodeo in town. I'm taking our kids to the rodeo parade later this afternoon. My daycare boys will be picked up by then because they will also be going to the parade.

Im trying something new today. I have 2 pans of fruit leather in my convection oven at 170. It is a strawberry rhubarb mixture with a little sugar and cinnamon. I simmered it on the stove which helped to thicken it up some before I put it on parchment lined cookie sheets. If it turns out pretty good then I'll try some other varieties. I bought a lot of strawberries earlier this week.

edit: I earned $30 from selling extra produce this week: rhubarb, zucchinis, tomatoes, Swiss chard, and dill.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Sep 2nd, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Air Miles-I'm glad that I am on three stores' weekly flyer newsletters because usually one store has an Air Miles offer worth loading or printing out. I could not get more than 5 bonus AM at Rexall today but did notice Sobeys has a 12AM offer for a case of ginger ale. Since I want a second $10 e gift card, I'll consider getting that pop tonight. Sobeys is expediting my points posting to about 1 week after a shop thought the points are dated one day after the shop date (cannot figure out why). Small win in my shopping adventures.

August-two coupons used. September-one coupon used.

I'd love to have access to a similar free community clothing swap that @Angela273 posted about in her community recently. I also like the idea of bringing clothing in to add to the offerings while taking suitable items for oneself. That's is true community spirit!
    Randomly discovered that the Thursday Dundas Farmer's Market (per article in local paper) does a free cookbook swap-you bring in a cookbook to add to the table and take one cookbook. I've not ventured there yet but this sounds like a great idea!

How are parents dealing with their scholastic offspring changing from their summer routines to schooltime bedtime routine schedules? Any arguments or has the switch gone smoothly? I know we'll have 13h of daylight through the weekend but Monday and Tuesday might be 6h only (with humidity to boot).
    @coupongirl I saw your August post that you find Talize tends to have nicer clothing than Value Village. I find that it depends (Mississauga's two stores in same plaza at Dundas St. E/Dixie shared same tags and pricing and similar attire). I've noticed a certain grey plaid pant with light blue lines in womenswear shows up at both stores in Hamilton but a work pant in navy poly/rayon blend is like receiving the Park Place property card in Monopoly-hard to get. Same plaid pant has turned up at the Ancaster Value Village too but not in my size.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow thoughts and prayers for your DH's family
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Went shopping tonight after work, only got a few things as our stores lately have been bad for Price Matching, they keep changing the rules every time you go in. Pretty sure an email to Head Office will be in my near future but today I did not have the ambition to attempt it so I just went to Food Basics.

I got
    6 x Blocks of Cheese
    2 x 10lb Potatoes
    2 x 5lb Onions (Cheaper at our local Chinese market but Food Basics is 15 min drive, Chinese Market is 45)
    1 x Bunch of Bananas

I spent $30 so I am happy.

Mom will go to RCSS this weekend to get everything else we need as it is easier to Price Match there.

My plan for this weekend is to have no plan. I am hoping to find some time to relax but if I do get a burst of energy I do have a list of things I would like to get done but do not really want to write a to do list and put pressure on myself so we will see what the weekend brings.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@ Ciel There is one church in town that has a free clothing program that is run completely by donations and volunteers. Half of the clothing is very old style but I don't complain about free. They have two evenings a month to access the resources, but I called while pregnant with the twins and the pastor lets me come during the day when he is in his office. It is better stocked just before the evening that it is open to the public, but it is very busy. I appreciate being down there in the quiet with the kids when I have the opportunity. I've made sure to bring in some clothes particularly men's clothing, which is always needed. I'll bring back more baby clothes as our twins grow.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

put ashlyn to bed at 8.00 p.m heard her talking -fell aslee at 8. am gonna go to bed soon as may have an early morning

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Checking in. Busy week back to work. Looking forward to getting back into routine though. Talk soon.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Ah have to enjoy this long weekend! Beautiful sunny day here. We plan to go for a bike ride soon. Will see which jobs on the never ending list I tackle. I took out lean ground beef to make burger for the BBQ. My mom sent me home with amazing homemade veggie dip so will be having that with veggies. Roast for tomorrow night is defrosting. Enjoy the day everyone!
    Giseledta and Angela273 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

hi all. Loving this weather . windows open, and laundry on the line. very nice

did a shop this am with my mom... we went to independent. I picked up pasta- sale 2 /3.00 900 g pkgs. plus I had 200 points per pkg. ... I go t alot .....lol
    also noname bbq sauce was 1.49 .
    and I got dried beans, as I like them better in soups and chilis ect.

what the freak is going on with grocery prices. it is insane. I am seriously dreading the winter.

I am off to finish off the ceiling in the family room. the last of the popcorn is coming down. I am very pleased. and we will be painting the walls. the dreaded orange paint will go.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    hi all. Loving this weather . windows open, and laundry on the line. very nice

did a shop this am with my mom... we went to independent. I picked up pasta- sale 2 /3.00 900 g pkgs. plus I had 200 points per pkg. ... I go t alot .....lol
    also noname bbq sauce was 1.49 .
    and I got dried beans, as I like them better in soups and chilis ect.

what the freak is going on with grocery prices. it is insane. I am seriously dreading the winter.

I am off to finish off the ceiling in the family room. the last of the popcorn is coming down. I am very pleased. and we will be painting the walls. the dreaded orange paint will go.
    We just have to keep shopping smart!! Somedays I shop and think OMG who is paying that. I have been shocked at others grocery orders! Lady in front of me the other day spent $250 on nothing!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I agree FBM, when I watch others drop 200.00 on a few bags of food I think I am not doing so bad. I plan to spend my 40.00 in AM at metro. J&C pointed out a deal on steak and we are all out. But eating from the freezer and pantry last month resulted in spending about 60% of what we normally spend on groceries. This is good thing as we are having a 50th Anniversary party for my parents next weekend and I have put quite a bit out for that.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful long weekend, the weather here in Ontario is amazing.

My plan to have no plan did not really work today. Since it was such a nice day I opened up all of the windows and got to work.

I have scrubbed the bathroom down, scrubbed the baseboards and floors. I gathered up the bath mats shook them out and washed them all including the spares and they are hanging in the basement drying.

I also cleaned up the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher, turned it on, emptied and reloaded. We had a bunch of pans I decided I was not going to scrub so I tossed them in the dishwasher instead. Wash any little odd and ends that could not go in the dishwasher so the dishes are now all done.

As well just tidied up brought the recycling down from upstairs to go out. Broke down the boxes to go out to recycling so I can fit more in the box and just picked up odd and random things that were laying around.

I am going to make Bruchetta Pasta for dinner, quick and simple but packs a punch in the flavour department. Also well I was cleaning today I made a pan of baked rice and a pot of pasta to use this week for dinners. I wanted to make mashed potatoes but discovered we need milk, hoping Mom will grab some on the way home from work and I can do mashed potatoes tomorrow. I hope to do more cooking tomorrow but we will see what tomorrow brings.

Think it is time to relax now maybe find a nice crochet project to work on and go from there.

Have a wonderful night everyone.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information