User Tag List

Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' are for buying secondhand jars? I know to look and feel for chips in the rim and of course look for any visible cracks, but are there any other things to watch for to ensure the jars are good quality and safe? Or how to tell if they're too old to be safe?

Of course I will only buy names I know are quality (Mason, Bernardin, Kerr to name a couple) but my mom is sure that there is a huge chance of older jars exploding. I would love some information to ease her fears.

Any tips on what to look for and what is a giveaway that the jars may be unsafe? If it matters, I was going to do traditional canning and pressure canning once I get more comfortable. I am lucky enough to have inherited an "All American" brand pressure canner from my late grandfather's estate.

If I've posted this here before, forgive me! I've been thinking about it for a long time and can't remember if I asked or not, and search is turning up nothing for me.

Thank you!
    When purchasing second hand jars make sure you check the rims for cracks for sure. They work great. Try for regular mouth and large mouth and avoid the gem jars. Keep it under $5 a case for used. There are crackpots that try and sell them for $5 per jar so watch for those people. New cases of jars are $7.77 for 500ml and 250 ml at walmart. Golden Harvest brand work just as well as Bernardin. If you are buying used jars make SURE they have the rings on them. They often charge more for a new set of rings with lids than it costs to purchase a whole case of jars. Good luck!!!
    dagney, macw1960, Chantel and 2 others like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    Hey Chantel, the All American canner is the best of the best! Hope that you get many good years out of it!

I was going to order one this weekend as well. It was the 21.5 liter. I decided against it once I read it should not be used on a glass cook for several reasons. I almost cried when I read that. Oh, well I guess I have to stick to my pickling instead.
    The lure of the all american canners is strong right? Technically you are not supposed to use ANY pressure canner on a glass cook top... However many have done it. I can't tell you to take the risk, but many who have been canning for over 20 years have done so on these type of stoves. They say the most important thing is to LIFT your canner and to never ever slide the canner.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    When purchasing second hand jars make sure you check the rims for cracks for sure. They work great. Try for regular mouth and large mouth and avoid the gem jars. Keep it under $5 a case for used. There are crackpots that try and sell them for $5 per jar so watch for those people. New cases of jars are $7.77 for 500ml and 250 ml at walmart. Golden Harvest brand work just as well as Bernardin. If you are buying used jars make SURE they have the rings on them. They often charge more for a new set of rings with lids than it costs to purchase a whole case of jars. Good luck!!!
    Thank you! And thank you for the info on pricing, I will use that as a guideline. I almost never see jars with rings but will occasionally see a twist-tie full of rings somewhere.

When you refer to Gem Jars, do you mean the ones with a glass body, glass lid and a metal ring? In my box of spoils from a garage sale I got lots of "Gem" branded metal lids, identical to the Bernardin ones my mom has used for years. Would you caution me against those, or just specifically the old glass-on-glass ones? Or should I stay far away from the whole brand completely?

I have inherited a few glass-on-glass ones and plan to use them like a Ziploc container, but not can with them because I have heard they're not a good idea.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    The lure of the all american canners is strong right? Technically you are not supposed to use ANY pressure canner on a glass cook top... However many have done it. I can't tell you to take the risk, but many who have been canning for over 20 years have done so on these type of stoves. They say the most important thing is to LIFT your canner and to never ever slide the canner.
    The biggest problem with pressure canning on a glass cook top is that most of them cycle the heat down when the temp gets to hot, so pressure canning can be tough with the heat regulating itself. The possibility of the glass top cracking is there too with a full canner full of jars, it can be to much weight for it. A flat bottom canner is better than a concave one, a concave canner can form a suction seal on the flat glass cooktop and that can't be good!! . I use a Presto on my glass cook top and so far so good!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Taa daa! My first attempts at canning. Pear butter (good, but very sweet) and cucumber relish (very tasty).

I'm still looking for a fantastic recipe for zucchini relish! (See the "Food & Recipes Canada" section)

Name:  cuke relish and pear butter aug 2016.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  63.6 KB
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Thank you! And thank you for the info on pricing, I will use that as a guideline. I almost never see jars with rings but will occasionally see a twist-tie full of rings somewhere.

When you refer to Gem Jars, do you mean the ones with a glass body, glass lid and a metal ring? In my box of spoils from a garage sale I got lots of "Gem" branded metal lids, identical to the Bernardin ones my mom has used for years. Would you caution me against those, or just specifically the old glass-on-glass ones? Or should I stay far away from the whole brand completely?

I have inherited a few glass-on-glass ones and plan to use them like a Ziploc container, but not can with them because I have heard they're not a good idea.
    If you can get them for free go for it. The glass lid is not recommended anymore. They sell replacement rings and lids that are snap lids. The cost of them is fairly high though... for that cost you could probably buy a new set of jars.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I've done about 20 half-pint jars of Salsa so far. I'm waiting for a few more tomatoes to ripen, and hopefully I'll get another 10-20 jars.

We just purchased a new glass top oven, so I ended up buying a small portable induction range to do my canning on rather than risk the warranty on the new oven. It seems to work quite well, but I can still only do the pint/half-pint jars.

I was looking at the Ball FreshTech Electric Water Bath Canner, there were lots of positive reviews for the product on amazon.ca/.com but I was scared off by some of the reviews about the product needing warranty work, or not heating after a few uses. Has anyone had any experience with this canner?
    Last edited by beckie.c; Wed, Sep 7th, 2016 at 10:43 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

No I haven't but I would be very interested to know.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    I've done about 20 half-pint jars of Salsa so far. I'm waiting for a few more tomatoes to ripen, and hopefully I'll get another 10-20 jars.

We just purchased a new glass top oven, so I ended up buying a small portable induction range to do my canning on rather than risk the warranty on the new oven. It seems to work quite well, but I can still only do the pint/half-pint jars.

I was looking at the Ball FreshTech Electric Water Bath Canner, there were lots of positive reviews for the product on amazon.ca/.com but I was scared off by some of the reviews about the product needing warranty work, or not heating after a few uses. Has anyone had any experience with this canner?
    Sorry I don't have experience with this canner, but I recommend looking into the victorio steam canner. It is great and very versatile. Apparently they can be used on glass top? It takes a lot less water to do your canning and therefore a lot less time. You use same time as water bath canning. You can also use it as a water bath canner or as a nice big stock pot. Glass lid, with temp gauge, made of stainless. Steam canning was approved as safe last summer. I love love love mine. I have heard that with the ball fresh tech you have to use recipes specifically designed for that canner.
    Not many recipes available yet. Seems like limited use at least for now. Just a thought!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Sorry I don't have experience with this canner, but I recommend looking into the victorio steam canner. It is great and very versatile. Apparently they can be used on glass top? It takes a lot less water to do your canning and therefore a lot less time. You use same time as water bath canning. You can also use it as a water bath canner or as a nice big stock pot. Glass lid, with temp gauge, made of stainless. Steam canning was approved as safe last summer. I love love love mine. I have heard that with the ball fresh tech you have to use recipes specifically designed for that canner.
    Not many recipes available yet. Seems like limited use at least for now. Just a thought!
    Thanks for sharing! I just took a look at that brand and it looks like it would be a great option
    Last edited by beckie.c; Thu, Sep 8th, 2016 at 10:38 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned 7 quarts of chicken broth with chicken pieces to use as soup base. Plus 4 pints of pickled cauliflower for my mom for Christmas.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just canned 9 quarts of beets and beet ketchup went in 3 X 500mls 4 X 250mls and 1 X 125ml plus enough for fries for dinner... tomorrow I will blend up the rest of the cooked beets and make up another 3 liters of it. I also have cukes sliced and salted in the fridge to turn into sliced gherkin pickles tomorrow. The good news is, that means all the prep work is done... the bad news is... imma tired! LOL

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

End results of canning. (Beets were in pints not quarts.)
    Left to right
    Beets, cubed, beet ketchup, sweet gherkin sliced pickles 2 of the jars have some heat, and more beet ketchup.
    Name:  2016-09-16 16.47.56.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  56.8 KB

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That was all made with $7 worth of beets from no frills and free cucumbers from Mom and Dad's greenhouse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Nice preserving, the beet ketchup sounds interesting...may have to do some googling for a recipe!!
    Newfiescreech and cheekysaver like this.

Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information