User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: General social media rant thread (Facebook,Twitter...)

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

@salady had the idea to start a social media rant thread but didn't do it so here it is... The idea was posted here http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/357329-...0/#post6681081

i don't have a rant for here right now but post away people.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Last edited by samm07; Fri, Sep 16th, 2016 at 04:21 PM.
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I really hate that people will send you invites for things on Facebook and then get annoyed if you don't go to their thing because you didn't log into Facebook every moment to check for an invite you didn't know was coming

And then you tell them to call/email/text message you next time and then this stupid circle continues. With everyone.

Why do you let a website filled with high school people you probably don't even care about anymore control your scheduling?
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

The instagram contests that want you to follow, like and comment 50 accounts just to enter. And none of these "contests" ever announce a winner. Posting these giveaways to promote your blog or small business is not going to make me follow you or buy whatever you're selling, you just come across as desperate and shady and someone I want to avoid at all costs. If you're that desperate for Instagram followers maybe you need to get a life.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sadly for a lot of those people who are desperate for followers, it's about business. Some of them have shady "partner" posts and don't bother saying that it's all ads. People with a lot of instagram followers can get a lot of freebies

I remember reading this article of how the business works https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/03...-business.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    The instagram contests that want you to follow, like and comment 50 accounts just to enter. And none of these "contests" ever announce a winner. Posting these giveaways to promote your blog or small business is not going to make me follow you or buy whatever you're selling, you just come across as desperate and shady and someone I want to avoid at all costs. If you're that desperate for Instagram followers maybe you need to get a life.
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not on Facebook. Not officially anyway... Allow me to briefly explain: I have what I refer to as a "Fakebook account" which I drummed up for the sole purpose of collecting coupons and deals exclusive to FB. But I don't have any actual friends or followers (nor do I follow) anyone on it. So, no I'm not on Facebook, and that's an active choice.

I personally don't like to feed into the common attitude nor like to perpetuate the 'emotional' investment some people pour into it. "She 'unfriended' me!?!?" they take it so personally and offensive when people unfriend them... it's laughable - but also kind of sad at the same time that people have such an invested interest who how many virtual 'friends' they have -- even if they have little to no clue who most of these people are. AND they get so upset when any of these perfect strangers stops following them. I havent seen this kind of 'popularity' ratings race since I was in the 7th grade. And this is how grown adults behave now.

"But it's how I share my life's events" argument doesnt wash with me.

I've always been of the belief that if you're a REAL friend -- in REAL LIFE... then I'll share whatever news, info, important event that happened with you directly. You know, because I'm your FRIEND. You wouldn't exclude me because just because I'm not on FB would you? Sadly, some of my so-called friends would. If that's the only way you tell people what important things going on in your life then to me, that's just lazy. you should be willing to communicate with everyone you know if they (and the event) is important enough to you.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

Why do you let a website filled with high school people you probably don't even care....

Speaking of High School..

When friends/ex's/random guys add/message you (FIVE YEARS+ after you left school)

Why? To snoop around? See what I`m up to and what I`m doing/not doing?

I have zero intrigue in you and your life and would prefer if the feeling was mutual...

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

If I wasn't friends with you then what makes you think I want to be now?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I'm not on Facebook. Not officially anyway... Allow me to briefly explain: I have what I refer to as a "Fakebook account" which I drummed up for the sole purpose of collecting coupons and deals exclusive to FB. But I don't have any actual friends or followers (nor do I follow) anyone on it. So, no I'm not on Facebook, and that's an active choice.
    I've been doing this for years.... I can't get into my fakebook account. Long story short, I got logged out and now when I want to get back in I have to change my password. No big deal.... however, they also want me to upload a photo ID. Sorry, I don't have a fake ID to go with my fake account so I haven't been on in a few months now. I hate facebook.
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I set up Facebook to see what my kids were up to, and I set up a fake one like some people, for coupons, and that's what I use it for. Like some of you mentioned, I had a cousin that mentioned she was going to be in town for a certain week, I only saw it 6 month later. If it's that important call or e-mail me...
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and DaveP like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I set up Facebook to see what my kids were up to, and I set up a fake one like some people, for coupons, and that's what I use it for. Like some of you mentioned, I had a cousin that mentioned she was going to be in town for a certain week, I only saw it 6 month later. If it's that important call or e-mail me...

How old are your kids? Depending on the age, Facebook may not be the place for it (it's increasingly for getting for older and older people now). Teens use Snapchat and Vine. Men in 30s use Reddit. There's anonymous apps too
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    How old are your kids? Depending on the age, Facebook may not be the place for it (it's increasingly for getting for older and older people now). Teens use Snapchat and Vine. Men in 30s use Reddit. There's anonymous apps too
    Facebook was created and designed for a young adult crowd (late teens, early 20s) in university. I think the demographic is increasing because the people that started with it at those ages are also getting older... and it's like crack. They can't let it go.

While I realize and appreciate that younger people (kids) do use it, it's not designed for them. Even though FB's age requirement is 13 and older (are they even enforcing it?)... I even wonder if 13 is old enough. I say if it's a communal environment where you're able to commune with people of "legal majority" then you should be of legal majority as well. If nothing more than legal obligation as well as safety and security.

This is not a critique of anyone's parenting skills who DO let their kids use it... it's just my two cents on the matter.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Sep 25th, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and dededi like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information