User Tag List

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I always thought CIBC had the Run for the Cure event. Run for Our Lives sounds like a special zombie marathon I've read about in the running magazines.

Three more months and that may be me! Although I don't think my mother would ever say that about me. I think until I had LO, she'd always tell me I wasn't holding babies correctly. I must have loads of practice with LO, although she still wants me to pick her up and she's getting so heavy with the pregnancy tummy and her 35+ pounds.

Wedding is over. Thank goodness. No more unexpected expenses. No more mandatory obligations. No more fittings! I've always dreaded whenever DH has to spend money for anything because he somehow always gets the short end of the stick. After that crazy expensive tailored suit, the jacket won't fit and the store insists that it's the proper width and length. DH swears that it's too tight and too short in the sleeves. For the price, I think they could afford to remake it several times but they just don't want to bother.

I've just seen the costs for the bachelor party. Since the booking was done in DH's name and they took the money at the time of booking, DH had to pay for the entire event (higher price on Saturdays, of course) and he paid for the groom's ticket. Then, he paid for all the food, and only half the guys gave him money to cover the cost. He didn't say if the guys gave him enough to cover the cost, but they gave him something more than nothing. So that also cost several hundred dollars. I think he spent probably 10% of the cost that we spent on our entire wedding just to be a guest, definitely well over four figures. If there was a fainting smiley, I'd use it here.

To keep costs low, I borrowed a steamer from our friend so he wouldn't be drycleaning anything. I steamed LO's dress and DH's shirt. Then I wrapped a gift from our wedding that we never used. It was a beautiful set of crystal toasting glasses, still wrapped in the gold box from William Ashley. I remember going in to do our registry years ago and just in awe of all the ladies with their 2+ carat diamond rings picking out tableware. I was too embarrassed to send out the gift registry cards, but I really, really wanted them for our wedding scrapbook. I bought our entire dish set at their warehouse sale for twelve settings for the price it would have cost us for two in-store. Same boxes, minus the gold paper wrapping. Eventually, the company did get our money and I didn't waste much of their time during the registry process. I used to buy small gifts there quite often when I lived in the neighbourhood.

I found a wide brown fabric ribbon from a gift from Birks (the Canadian jeweler) years ago and tied it around the sturdy gold box. Then, I rooted around in our basement until I found a swanky invitation to my friend's wedding (she married the heir of a family who owned some pricey patents). It made me a bit sad to do it, but I took off the front and inner decoration to use the heavy shimmery bronze cardstock as the backing for my card. I cut some light grey and white Michael's cardstock (which is quite obviously cheaper weight), used a bit of glue, and embossed two diagonal prints of some Japanese flowers on the front in a golden bronze tone. I tucked the card on an angle behind the wide looping ribbon, and I have to say, even for someone who is not used to design or layout, the result was visually very pretty! I even ran back to the car to get DH's phone for a photo because I was so pleased that my last minute effort didn't look so last minute. I did stay up until three AM, but I don't think I could have done much better had I spent actual money.
    Ive never seen them run here. Tons of little fundraising events with hotdogs and face painting abd dog nails though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Sc is being crazy today and notifying me of quoted posts from last month!

Off to a dentist appointment this morning

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

DH would probably think it amusing, but I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever did a zombie run, from both the speed and the startle factor!

Oh goodness! Hot dogs sound so good right now. I must be good for the rest of my pregnancy though. And my upcoming tests.

Mom has been really amazing with mine and LO's sewing repairs. Now that I only see her a few times a year, I really appreciate her expertise. I'm amazed at her ability in her mid-80's to do such amazing work in a quality you can't find anywhere nowadays. I think she could make quite an income doing alterations for people if she lived in a city. I really wish she was closer. I think it would also give her such a boost that she could still earn money and is still a contributing member of society. She's never had a title other than housewife for all her life, but she's raised four children, one grandchild, and also in the family business. Unfortunately, it always went to the family pot and she never had her own money.

I should try to sell her knitting creations somewhere and thought of Etsy. She's floored that scarves she could make easily sell for $40 or more, but the colours and yarns are pricey. She has the ability, but she just practices with the free donated yarn in the knitting club.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

And to add to my previous post on DH always getting the short end of the stick, his co-worker asked him to pay for half of a $200 coffeemaker. Well, DH paid for half in cash and the boss gave the co-worker the full amount. The co-worker handed DH a WM GC and said it had about $100 on it, minus about $30 because he bought something. I checked the card at a WM returns desk and it had never been activated, so it had $0 on it. If it were anyone else, I would be inclined to think it an accident and we were given the wrong card, but we've known this person for years and it's just the sort of thing he'd do.

Now he's pocketed an extra $113 and DH has $0.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

When I go with my friend to Costco I pick up:

Allergy medication - Loratadine (generic Claritin) 72 pack for under $15 (a real bargain)
    Yogurt
    Cheese - cheddar and feta
    Mary's organic crackers (addictive)

And the food samples make it worth the visit.....as well as the fries with gravy.

I can't use my credit card because I am not a member so I pay cash which helps keep my purchases down otherwise I would be racking up my mastercard as they now except that. My concern is if I became a member I would buy everything.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

And to add to my previous post on DH always getting the short end of the stick, his co-worker asked him to pay for half of a $200 coffeemaker. Well, DH paid for half in cash and the boss gave the co-worker the full amount. The co-worker handed DH a WM GC and said it had about $100 on it, minus about $30 because he bought something. I checked the card at a WM returns desk and it had never been activated, so it had $0 on it. If it were anyone else, I would be inclined to think it an accident and we were given the wrong card, but we've known this person for years and it's just the sort of thing he'd do.

Wow - I would certainly confront this person....

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Oh yeah I forgot about allergy pills we buy the Kirkland brand one $18.99 for 200 pills best deal around

Co workers who do not have Costco in their areas are jealous yet never take me up on my offer to grab them some.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Mon, Sep 19th, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I would be getting terribly frustrated with that coworker and when asked to contribute be asking if they are being reimbursed by the company

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about allergy pills we buy the Kirkland brand one $18.99 for 200 pills best deal around

Co workers who do not have Costco in their areas are jealous yet never take me up on my offer to grab them some.
    I love costco for meds. We stock up on bathroom supplies like body wash and deodorant and meds when we go. Unless its winter we dont get perishables

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We went back to a second hand store this morning, same one that we bought the Halloween costumes last week. Baby boy wasn't happy about either trip to the store. I spent $20.50 on 3 nice t-shirts for Dh, a medium weight nice looking black jacket, and a kids DVD. The DVD is supposed to stay in the van, just in case we forget to pack one when we go on a long trip. We spent the next 2hds playing in the back yard and the garden. Harvested more veggies and did a little weeding. Planted some green onion seeds too. The twins got tired out and are now down for their nap. We'd better head to the kitchen for our late lunch.

Tonight's supper is chili with rice, made with some garden veggies.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Sep 19th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you so much girls, your lots of help Shall be looking for coupons. I hope I get those gift cards before my trip! Angela: your mad at some veggies?
    Last edited by juliemadden; Mon, Sep 19th, 2016 at 04:34 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quitting time! Hope my house is still cool like it was at lunchtime. It is hot and muggy out there! Good night to bbq some fish (and no smell in the house!) If I didn't have a meeting tonight it would be a good night for a glass of wine while I watch my man bbq lol. Maybe he will drop me off and pick me up

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Who does that!!!! And how does he look your husband in the eye at work every day?I think your DH is too nice of a guy,

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Wow sweet sparrow. It certainly sounds like some people enjoy taking advantage of your Dh financially.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juliemadden View Post
    Thank you so much girls, your lots of help Shall be looking for coupons. I hope I get those gift cards before my trip! Angela: your mad at some veggies?
    No, it typed "madd" when it was supposed to say "made." I grow an organic vegetable garden in my back yard, I grow extras that I sell locally on a casual basis. I like to use the produce.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information