User Tag List

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree2022Likes

Thread: September 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread - ALL Welcome!!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

@momof5boys: I wasn't sure if you were asking Granger as you used my quote in your post, but I did mean to respond.

It depends on your starting point. I actually only use a hard toothbrush wet down with water and dish detergent. If you take care of your shower daily, you can actually keep in looking new for decades. My sister's bathroom grout was immaculate until the day she sold her house, so it's possible.

If there is black mold that has seeped into the grout and is discolouring it from the inside out, there's no remedy to get it white unless you rip out all the tiles and start again. Bleaching agents cannot soak into the pores because the walls are vertical and everything just runs down. My brother had some luck with spraying with a bleach solution and leaving it on for as long as he could (wiping down the shower as dry as he could, then sprayed on the solution and left it until his next shower, then repeat).

If there is discolouration, the bleach solution will work to some extent as well. You should open the window or turn on the fan for a little while to get the smell out if you have small children or pets.

In these cases, prevention is worth a pound of cure. If it's a new bathroom, you can keep it in pristine condition simply by wiping down the walls with a squeegee, then following up with an absorbent sponge after each shower (but not if people time the showers back to back). If things ever start to get a little brown, scrub with a hard brush and the stains should come out. Rinse well, squeegee, sponge down. DH isn't as thorough as I am, so I time my showers to be right after his.

Our home is a resale, so we have icky mold behind the tile from the last two families. It's one of the next reno projects within the upcoming decade and I'll be picking out some large tiles. Those equal less grout to scrub and clean, which saves a lot of time.
    ----------------
    Thanks sweetsparrow. My hubby and my shower is in pristine condition because I wipe it down often. It is my boys shower that doesn't get wiped down regularly and one of them is a mechanic so that explains why some of the grout is discolored. It doesn't look terrible but I'm a little on the fussy side I will try a toothbrush with Oxyclean but would rather not use a bleach solution because it could weaken the grout.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well surprise, surprise- the high school found the text book that they said DD did not return and tried to charge her $96 and with hold her current text books until we paid up!! I guess they have a little egg on their faces-we were quite sure they were all returned. I am glad we stood our ground.

It has become cooler and rainier here but the weekend should be nice-the fall colours are gorgeous here and I would like to head out to the mountains one day to enjoy them even more.

I will be finishing up one babysitting job in 2 weeks as the Mum orients a new nanny prior to her return to work-they of course asked if I wanted to watch the 4 little ones for 30 hours per week but that is more than I want to work. Anyway I still have 2 families that I help about once per week each and if I get bored in the New Year I can always find another to help out!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Well surprise, surprise- the high school found the text book that they said DD did not return and tried to charge her $96 and with hold her current text books until we paid up!! I guess they have a little egg on their faces-we were quite sure they were all returned. I am glad we stood our ground.

It has become cooler and rainier here but the weekend should be nice-the fall colours are gorgeous here and I would like to head out to the mountains one day to enjoy them even more.

I will be finishing up one babysitting job in 2 weeks as the Mum orients a new nanny prior to her return to work-they of course asked if I wanted to watch the 4 little ones for 30 hours per week but that is more than I want to work. Anyway I still have 2 families that I help about once per week each and if I get bored in the New Year I can always find another to help out!
    You must must have the patience on Angel, the families are lucky to have you.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

RE: Cleaning discolored / moldy grout, our 1 and only bathroom on the main floor has no fan so this is a continual battle with the grout looking awful, however, the bathroom is original to the house.

I found on Pinterest a year ago a solution of baking soda and vinegar, you make a paste and apply with a toothbrush, let sit for 1/2 hour and then scrub with tooth brush, it works amazingly and super frugal . It made my grout white and pristine looking. I only did small sections at a time so I could work before the paste hardened.

Lovely cool and rainy day here after the hot spell this summer I'm imbrasing the cooler weather .

I got my hydro bill which is always so expensive because of the rural delivery fees but I can certainly see the difference since the AC was not on much last month. My inlaws gave us their portable ac unit which they no longer needed because they put in central air. Next year we will be putting in our window ac as it does a much better job cooler the house vs. the portable unit which is made for tiny rooms.

I've been busy canning tomatoes from the garden, I did 1 bushel 2 weeks ago, they look lovely on my shelves in my cold storage. I also home concentrated tomatoe sauce which we love, so they are in the freezer because I cannot process olive oil, great for quick dinners and so tasty. I canned 1/2 a bushel of foraged apples from driving around on country roads.

My folks will be coming for a visit tomorrow, my dad is still not feeling the best, he is having side effects from the anitbiotics they prescribed. DH & ds1 are going to go to the new Cabella's that opened in Kanata tomorrow, I jokingly told dh to leave his credit card behind. I'm sure @thrifygranny can relate these men stores as I call them are dangerous to the outdoor enthuistists.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day & weekend.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Natalka : Where do you find your Roots backpacks? I think I've only seen them at Costco here, and I don't have a membership.

I was disappointed when I saw the Fortinos flyer last night. The one I have delivered to my door advertises MacIntosh apples as $0.99, but on the one in the flyer section of SC, it's $0.69. :-( Nothing too promising in the flyers this weekend, which means we can set up LO's new bed and get ready for some family time in the park. Cooler temperatures too!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!!!!! The teen was ready in record time for school- Of course because his friend was picking him up and they were "cruising" with the tunes lol
    I cleaned up the kitchen and all dishes from breakfast are drying on the counter. I am on my own for dinner tonight since my honey is working the late shift. Kids have plans too. Not sure of my plan yet, so exciting to have total free time without having to make dinner for anyone that I don't know what to do!!!

Yesterday on my day off I did laundry 1st thing in the morning and put all 3 loads away- Including making bed with fresh sheets! Then I joined my friend for lunch, we went shopping then coffee at her house in the afternoon. It was a much needed friend quality time! Crazy to think this time last year she was in chemo! Just thinking about it still tears me up.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Will kick back with my honey tonight when he is off work, hockey games both days this weekend but will work around them. Get house stuff done, maybe his Costco etc on the way to one game.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Fri, Sep 23rd, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think today is going to be one of those days where I just need to laugh to get through it.

On Wednesday our controller took my phone to send it for warranty, he was told by what I said they would probably end up replacing but their techs need to make the call so I have had no phone for 2 days. Today he sends me a spare and I notice as soon as I get the phone my emails are not coming through and see the phone is on phone calls only. So I contact the controller who gives me business technical support. After being on the 45 minutes they determine the spare phone I was given is defective and cannot connect to Data.

Luckily I still have my old phone as I forgot to hand it in so now I am at home trying to set this phone up so I can have a phone for the weekend in case I am needed tomorrow as we are open but I am not in.

Yep going to be one of those days where I think I just need to laugh and hope 4 pm comes soon.

Have a great day everyone.
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

We still have some 2 for 1 coupons from Subway so that is dinner tonight. Hubby and I used a couple of these coupons on a road trip this month and so we had a super cheap end total for meals out

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well we had a lovely meal out at the keg last night with hubby's brother and sister-in-law -our giftcard from xmas was for 100.00 not 50.00 like I thought -such an awesome meal steak ,baked potatoe ,cesar salad ,asparagus-yummm and free cheesecake I shared with my sister-in-law -oh and waitress heard us talking about our anniversary the same day so she said to me pick 2 desserts for free from the menu so hubby and his brother shared a mocha ice cream cake -we had such a great time and my sandal strap broke -so I hobbled out of there -lol

-today son came over with ashlyn -I love my nana is what ashlyn said and sang happy birthday to me -they got me a lovely fall potted mums and gift cards to winners (I can buy another blouse when I see one)

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

to update my previous post I did just have to laugh when all was said and done.

The first tech I spoke to told me the phone was defective and would cost $$ to get fixed. To which I said nope spare phone not fixing it.

Went home and changed to my old phone, did the same thing so called them again.

Business Solutions: Bad SIM card but let me put you though to a tech as do not take my word for it

Tech #2: Gave the great news that if it is a defective SIM card it would corrupt the phone and no SIM card would probably work (great as I have now put this SIM card in 2 different phones) but with that being said he was great, figured out the issue was my plan is set for my normal phone a Samsung but using a BB right now to which he originally told me he Data plans weren't interchangeable until he looked at our plan and said oh no I can make this work and walked me through it.

Tech 2 admitted most people on support hate dealing with BB and try to avoid it which is probably why I was told the phone was defective.

So I have a phone yippee but still cannot wait for mine to come back I miss it
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Happy birthday coupon girl! (Im late!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Went for a massage today....therapist didnt cancel nor did she show up. I sat beside a locked dark door for 15 minutes called her cell....straight to voice mail. Left a message. Waited until half past and walked away. More than a little miffed as I've had this booked for 2 weeks and received a reminder including a policy saying if a client showed it they are still be charged for the hour.

Soooo sadly i retail therapied and bought a jump drive and a desk. Taking the desk back after lunch as it didnt fit where i wanted it to.

Doing laundry and hoping to ship my sisters birthday gift this afternoon.

Today was to be spaghetti squash with meatballs but we havea ton of leftoversto eat up so tomorrow will be tonights plan and tonight is lwftover2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saundyl; Fri, Sep 23rd, 2016 at 01:45 PM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I completely forgot that I had a doctor's appointment last week. Argh. I hope they won't charge me next time I'm in. I'm afraid to ask and the receptionist didn't say anything.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @Natalka : Where do you find your Roots backpacks? I think I've only seen them at Costco here, and I don't have a membership.
    London Drugs - it's where he found a great one when he was in high school, then all these years later when he needed one for mechanics school, it's where he got one - and bonus was that it was 40% off.

There are always more in-store
    http://www.londondrugs.com/on/demand...implesearch=Go
    jasperandchar and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It's miserable, raining and windy. My phone says we have already received 6cm of rain today and it's not expected to stop in the next 24hrs.

I booked a follow-up appointment to get my ultrasound results next Wednesday. The appointment didn't take the full hour, which was good because then I could get back home earlier.

I think tonight's supper might be leftovers. I also have steak thawed in the fridge, but no fresh mushrooms in the house.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information