User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: General social media rant thread (Facebook,Twitter...)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Facebook was designed for young adult crowd but that was 15 years ago. You are right about the crowd growing older, but a huge number of people on FB are seniors and baby boomers actually. Half of all seniors in one major study used Facebook. Since seniors make up the bulk of the population, I'd argue there's actually more seniors on FB. Anecdotally, a lot of the commenters I see on pages I moderate bring up seniors issues, and we rarely see comments on youth issues. This could be either reflective of the population or the page itself. Teens know their mom/grandma is on Facebook and don't actually post things they don't want people knowing about.

If anyone is interested, here's some Social media user research http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/08/1...l-media-users/

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Facebook was created and designed for a young adult crowd (late teens, early 20s) in university. I think the demographic is increasing because the people that started with it at those ages are also getting older... and it's like crack. They can't let it go.

While I realize and appreciate that younger people (kids) do use it, it's not designed for them. Even though FB's age requirement is 13 and older (are they even enforcing it?)... I even wonder if 13 is old enough. I say if it's a communal environment where you're able to commune with people of "legal majority" then you should be of legal majority as well. If nothing more than legal obligation as well as safety and security.

This is not a critique of anyone's parenting skills who DO let their kids use it... it's just my two cents on the matter.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Teens know their mom/grandma is on Facebook and don't actually post things they don't want people knowing about.

Ohohoho not on my FB! I have seen photos of cousins heading off to raves in their underwear meanwhile Mom, Grandma and Aunts on their list! No shame, apparently.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Any meme that asks (general) reader to share

If you survived
    Being spanked
    eating lead paint
    riding on the parcel shelf of your father's car
    not wearing a bike helmet
    being thrown into Lake Ontario with cement boots
    being repeatedly dropped from the top of the CN Tower

Say Amen and share...
    Yup...I was one of those poor suckers who died so sadly I am unable to share...Just because(general) you survived doesn't mean no-one else didn't suffer or die um-necesarily from simple things we know realise there's a problem with..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

People who share photos of abused cats, war torn kids, children with disabilities and ask " can I get a amen! Or you have no heart! "

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    People who share photos of abused cats, war torn kids, children with disabilities and ask " can I get a amen! Or you have no heart! "
    I'm a proud member of the 97% who happily and heartlessly scroll past without re-posting.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

How old are your kids? Depending on the age, Facebook may not be the place for it (it's increasingly for getting for older and older people now). Teens use Snapchat and Vine. Men in 30s use Reddit. There's anonymous apps too
    Thanks, this was when they were younger, now they are 24,23,21, they don't really need me checking on them..but I do, Instagram, Snapchat!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

People post way too much info on Facebook - especially personal things. Once it's out there you can't take it back.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

^ True

I had a relative who blasted her husband on facebook status, about how he screwed around on her (All which turned out to be BS) and all of her friends and family were bashing him openly, saying they were going to kill him?

*delete!* he's family, she's not. Don`t want to listen to your baby mama drama I just came to watch cat videos.
    Newfiescreech, Ciel, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Embedded videos that auto-play..

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

And people that keep inviting you to play games. My feed keeps getting overloaded with people posting their scores in these games. Pfff, like I care. And getting friend requests! People if I don't know you, it's not happening. My SIL made her kid a FB account......he's only in GRADE1!!!
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Embedded videos that auto-play..
    YES!! This!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    And people that keep inviting you to play games. My feed keeps getting overloaded with people posting their scores in these games. Pfff, like I care.
    I play Farmville only and make sure that feed is switched to my friends who play that game.

And getting friend requests! People if I don't know you, it's not happening.
    I have lots of mutual friends for various forums so I check that I have more than one before I accept them. There's a couple of people who try to friend me every 2/3 months but they are not the kind of people I want to associate with at all.Their views are totally diametrically opposed to mine that even though we were on the same fora and have many mutual friends..I really don't want their hate spilling into my life

My SIL made her kid a FB account......he's only in GRADE1!!!
    P1(18)and P2(15) have FB accounts. P2 needs hers for school, it's part of the rules and regs so she can keep in touch with her various learning groups..she doesn't like it much.She prefers the schools interactive website.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Facebook was designed for young adult crowd but that was 15 years ago. You are right about the crowd growing older, but a huge number of people on FB are seniors and baby boomers actually. Half of all seniors in one major study used Facebook. Since seniors make up the bulk of the population, I'd argue there's actually more seniors on FB. Anecdotally, a lot of the commenters I see on pages I moderate bring up seniors issues, and we rarely see comments on youth issues. This could be either reflective of the population or the page itself. Teens know their mom/grandma is on Facebook and don't actually post things they don't want people knowing about.

If anyone is interested, here's some Social media user research http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/08/1...l-media-users/
    Ya except how many people really put their real age on FB...according to my now-closed profile, I am born in 1920. I wanted 1800 but that did not work.

I wonder how they got their data. Hope its not 'self-reported'
    Last edited by Arvilish; Thu, Oct 6th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I HEREBY GIVE MY PERMISSION to the Police, CSIS, the FBI and CIA, the RCMP, the Swiss Guard, the Priory of Scion,UNIT, the inhabitants of Middle Earth, Agents Mulder and Scully, the Goonies, ALL the Storm Troopers and Darth Vader, the Mad Hatter, Chuck Norris, S.H.I.E.L.D, The Avengers, The Illuminati, The Men in Black, X-Men, Ghost Busters, The Justice League, Gandalf and Dumbledore, Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Great Pumpkin, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Tooth Fairy, The Krampus, and all the members of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Black Sabbath, Voltron, The Groovy Ghoulies, the Thunder Cats, Dr. Who, Hart to Hart, Mystery inc. (Scooby Doo), James Garner, Angela Landsbury, the WWF, the EPA, and even Magnum P.I., He-Man, Jay and Silent Bob, Cheech & Chong, Neo, Blade, and the Boondock Saints to view all the amazing and interesting things I publish on Facebook.
    I'm aware that my privacy ended the very day that I created a profile on Facebook, I know that whatever I post can (and usually does) get shared, tagged, copied, and posted elsewhere because I'm THAT fascinating. If I don't want anyone else to have it, then I don't post it!

one of my favourite FB status..

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My rant today with social media-stores that promote events then don't post at least one photo of featured guest at the store for the event on the same social media accounts used to advertise the events. Maybe it's connected to the short promotion period given in advance of the event.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information