User Tag List

Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RCss has 10 lb bags of beets, potatoes, carrots and onions for3$/5. Or $1.67 each great prices for canning or dehydrating

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    for anyone in the area of Westney and Hardwood, Sobeys has 10 lb bags of beets on for a buck! ( not posted in the flyer, but in store sale )
    I did up 7 pint jars of pickled beets yesterday.
    Got to use both of my new appliances, my pressure cooker and my portable induction cook top. Since I cannot water bath my jars on the glass top stove that induction device works amazingly well!
    Can you use any kind of pressure cooker on the induction device or does it have to be one made for an induction cook top?
    Newfiescreech and cheekysaver like this.

elh
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For you jam makers out there, does it matter if you macerate the fruit before or after roasting it? And if you macertate it first, would you include the liquid from macerating with the fruit while roasting? Also, would macerating and roasting have an effect if you are just using the juice to make jelly instead of the while fruit for jam?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

I don't think the dollar stores would give you a can of beets for a $1
    wtg
    thanks @Shwa Girl , that is true AND those canned beets have NO flavour either. I know they are not pickled but cooked but they are nasty tasting compared to cooking up fresh beets.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Can you use any kind of pressure cooker on the induction device or does it have to be one made for an induction cook top?
    oops sorry @thriftygranny just noticed your question.

I did not use the pressure cooker on the induction cooktop, I use it on my glass top stove, there are no issues using my pressure cooker on my stove BUT the large enamel water bath pot cannot be used on a glass cooktop ( it even warns about it on the side of the pot )

SO......I cooked my beets whole till " almost done " in the pressure cooker first, ( on the stove ) then I peeled and sliced them and finished cooking them in the vinegar/sugar/spice mixture ( also on my stove ). Then once the jars are filled and sealed I process in the large enamel pot placed on the induction cook top.
    It really is a neat little device to have, very handy for me, the jars were on the kitchen table immersed and boiling water bubbling around them which gave me the chance to clean the stove and everything else up at the sink.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Thanks for the induction info, I bought a large pressure canner and while it says you can use it on the glass top the weight scares me!!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Thanks for the induction info, I bought a large pressure canner and while it says you can use it on the glass top the weight scares me!!
    I have seen You Tube videos of people that have used their water bath pots on a glass top stove. some were destroyed, some were not. I agree that the weight with your pressure canner on there just may be too much.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    thanks @Shwa Girl , that is true AND those canned beets have NO flavour either. I know they are not pickled but cooked but they are nasty tasting compared to cooking up fresh beets.
    At that price I would have walked out with 100lbs of beets and darn near killed myself canning that many up! Yum!!!
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by elh View Post
    For you jam makers out there, does it matter if you macerate the fruit before or after roasting it? And if you macertate it first, would you include the liquid from macerating with the fruit while roasting? Also, would macerating and roasting have an effect if you are just using the juice to make jelly instead of the while fruit for jam?
    They give great instructions on the pectin packages. If you are looking for more detailed instructions www.bernardin.ca has lots of great recipes and instructions.
    seylz_gurl likes this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For those needing some snaplids all sizes are on sale at Safeway for 2.59 each. That is about the cheapest for large mouth and gem jars. The cheapest for the regular mouth is at dollarama... but make SURE to buy the Bernardin brand. I have heard bad things about the other brand at dollarama.
    DianneS likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Found some wide mouth lids on clearance at rcss today for $.94. Bought 10 boxes. Don't have very many wise mouth jars or I would have purchased more.missed out on regular lids which is what I have been looking for. I am behind on my canning and everything else as my dad was sick in hospital with pneumonia for 2 weeks before passing away on Monday. So it has been a rough 3 weeks and now I am trying to get my energy back and move forward
    Lavender Lady likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Found some wide mouth lids on clearance at rcss today for $.94. Bought 10 boxes. Don't have very many wise mouth jars or I would have purchased more.missed out on regular lids which is what I have been looking for. I am behind on my canning and everything else as my dad was sick in hospital with pneumonia for 2 weeks before passing away on Monday. So it has been a rough 3 weeks and now I am trying to get my energy back and move forward
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad passing. My deepest sympathy to you and your loved ones.
    cheekysaver and scouponer like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you make sure to take whatever time you need to heal. (((HUGS)))
    scouponer and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned 12 lb of clearance apples as applesauce. A little too tart so broke down and added sugar and cinnamon. Made a batch of strawberry freezer jam. Dehydrated 1 and 1/2 celery. Will dehydrate some carrots tomorrow as I have about 15 lbs in my fridge that I need to do something with. Will use a few carrots in my squash soup.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned 6 pints and 1 1/2 pint pickled onions and beets. I had left over brine so I threw it in a jar and canned it. Instead of throwing it out I think at some point I can use it for a quick pickle...beets or onions.. Will give these beets and onions to my mom as part of her Christmas present to go with stewed tomatoes, peaches, pickled cauliflower, and applesauce.

Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast

Thread Information