• 1 Post By SnowFlakey
  • 2 Post By SnowFlakey
  • 2 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By SnowFlakey

Thread: Better Homes and Gardens just sent me: Freezer Friendly Holiday Cookies

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

...so I thought I'd pass it along!!

Just keep scrolling down the page if you're not into clicking through a slide-show..

http://www.bhg.com/christmas/cookies...2916&did=80326
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka and walkonby like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

temptation at every turn!! Many of those are calling out to me now Lynn!!

Today I printed off a recipe that " might " make it to our table on Thanksgiving?? I am seriously thinking of making everyone their own small individual cake ( and I do mean SMALL), but we'll see.

http://canolaeatwell.com/recipe/spic.../#.V-2EW8kzso8

It was the molasses and the ginger snap crumble that caught my eye!!
    Lynn49 and SnowFlakey like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Cool, @walkonby!!

Very similar to this recipe: Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread (it's really the lightest muffin ever, and I use a whole large can of pumpkin puree) on the Allrecipes site that I have to make for our Grandson so often during the winter...honestly it NEVER fails, you just slop everything into your Kitchenaid and let 'er rip! I add golden raisins to it since he's allergic to nuts...

• 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 cup vegetable oil
    • 2/3 cup water
    • 3 cups white sugar
    • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    • Add all ingredients to list

but I DO love that topping on the recipe you posted!! And I actually have molassses here!

Honestly, great minds think alike: I usually make muffins for our Grandson...it makes about 4 dozen, so I give him a dozen at a time and keep the rest in the freezer...sooo, what I was thinking since 'the kids' friends will also be with us and their two kids, I'd make muffins and do a fancy-shmancy orange/yellow rose on each of them! Now I'm thinking molasses...in orange/yellow, of course!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Sep 29th, 2016 at 05:26 PM.
    walkonby and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

AND...omgoodness! On that Canola site: Hummingbird Cake! I haven't had that since the 60s!!!
    Along with...remember Harvey Wallbanger Cake?!! TO DIE FOR!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks, Lynn - always on the lookout for new ideas!

I made Hummingbird cupcakes about a month ago; they were awesome! I had never had them before, but I knew what they were because of watching baking shows.

Once on that site, one can just keep clicking through all sorts of recipes - oy! My son already gives me grief because my bookmarks are so full!
    Lynn49 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Thanks, Lynn - always on the lookout for new ideas!

I made Hummingbird cupcakes about a month ago; they were awesome! I had never had them before, but I knew what they were because of watching baking shows.

Once on that site, one can just keep clicking through all sorts of recipes - oy! My son already gives me grief because my bookmarks are so full!
    @Natalka, would you believe it...I was looking for a recipe from long ago in one of my 2 fully stuff binders, and just flipping through page by page...oh the memories of making some of those dishes when we were first married, then with the kids, and the little notes I scribbled on some of them like, "the kids love this!", etc..; I'm going to have to pull some of them up and re-introduce them into our kitchen! One day our DD is going to get a kick out of the ones TYPED on lined paper, so perfectly on each line...the good ol' days, huh? Maybe she'll cherish my handwritten ones just as I cherish my Mom's. She even wrote one out for our DD with all the instructions...I feel I should frame it and give it to her for Christmas..

Then there are the loose sheets stuffed in folded binders, and the cookbooks! I'm a sucker for cookbooks!! I've picked up some lovely ones at Chapters' sales where they're reduced to $5 or $10!!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Sep 29th, 2016 at 08:37 PM.
    Natalka and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I, too, have recipe books and loose sheets with recipes, folders full, and my two handwritten recipe books - one for sweet, one for savoury. Of course the latter two are falling apart, and I need to redo them.
    Definitely get some together for your daughter - not to wait til after you are gone, as we did with our mom's - after she was gone was when we could go through her recipe binder (mostly handwritten) and cookbooks, as well as clipped recipes - but darnit, so many recipes were still in her head and left with her!

Yeah, she'd be like: "add as much flour to the pyrohy dough til it's soft".... that's one I remember. She didn't measure for recipes like that, but luckily I found one recipe I used while she was still around and she said it was pretty close to hers.

One recipe I did sit down across the counter from her and take notes for was for studenetz (aka headcheese, but we never used head) - as she did it, I wrote amounts and procedure down.

Milan has already asked me for some of my recipes, too - so I have plans to get stuff ready for him.

Treasures from our families, indeed!
    Lynn49, walkonby and SnowFlakey like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

o.k. you two ladies are kind of freaking me out now!! Yes @Lynn49 and @Natalka you are NOT going to believe this but today as I was leafing through some of those " Company's Coming " cookbooks that I snagged at the Thrift store a while ago I see Hummingbird Cake.
    Of course I have never heard of it, so I ask DH and his first question was how many Hummingbirds goes in it? ( because THAT is just how he is....groan! ha ha )

Oh and I too have my disorganized mess of a drawer filled with recipes.
    Pages torn from certain magazines, handwritten ones I begged for from a friend or coworker, typed ones that I did using the 2 finger method on my fancy electric typewriter and more recent printed ones from the web ( including Natalka's Shipwreck Casserole and Lazy Cabbage ).
    I keep meaning to get the whole mess in order to pass along to my kids. At some point that has to happen.
    Natalka, Lynn49 and SnowFlakey like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    o.k. you two ladies are kind of freaking me out now!! Yes @Lynn49 and @Natalka you are NOT going to believe this but today as I was leafing through some of those " Company's Coming " cookbooks that I snagged at the Thrift store a while ago I see Hummingbird Cake.
    Of course I have never heard of it, so I ask DH and his first question was how many Hummingbirds goes in it? ( because THAT is just how he is....groan! ha ha )

Oh and I too have my disorganized mess of a drawer filled with recipes.
    Pages torn from certain magazines, handwritten ones I begged for from a friend or coworker, typed ones that I did using the 2 finger method on my fancy electric typewriter and more recent printed ones from the web ( including Natalka's Shipwreck Casserole and Lazy Cabbage ).
    I keep meaning to get the whole mess in order to pass along to my kids. At some point that has to happen.
    Isn't it weird how a group mentality works?! So in-sync!! I can't just now remember, @walkonby , but you posted something and I mentioned that I was doing the same thing, or similar and when I posted this to Natalka, I thought...geez...no one is going to believe this happened to me twice!! But you know me now, {{{blink, blink}}}, so you probably suspect I wouldn't fake anything like that, but what coincidences!! As to your Hubby's remark...oh, yes!! I can just SEE him saying that!!

You'll have to bake a Hummingbird cake one day just to find out what we've all raved about for years; speaking of which, I haven't baked one in probably a quarter century!!
    SnowFlakey likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

One recipe I did sit down across the counter from her and take notes for was for studenetz (aka headcheese, but we never used head) - as she did it, I wrote amounts and procedure down.
    ![/QUOTE]

I can remember my mother making studenetz! But i never got the recipe from her and now i regret it. I would love to have this recipe if you would care to share it!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

all my mom`s recipe were written in Ukrainian and i dont read Ukrainian. Some i was able to translate with her before she had a stroke and lost her speech. I kept her handwritten cookbook and notes.
    Lynn49 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    all my mom`s recipe were written in Ukrainian and i dont read Ukrainian. Some i was able to translate with her before she had a stroke and lost her speech. I kept her handwritten cookbook and notes.
    Oh, @SnowFlakey , if we only knew back then how precious these would be to us. My Mom's recipes were thankfully written in English so we still use many of them today. Did your Mom also collect recipe books? I have a particular one from a Ukrainian church that, judging by the stains some ingredients left behind, was well-loved by her!

Our DD and her DH host all family get-togethers, and this Thanksgiving she's invited a friend with her two kids whose hubby will be off on a fishing trip...so has NEVER celebrated Thanksgiving before! Seems all the men-folk leave on fishing trips that weekend...can you imagine?! Anyway, she offered to make her special dressing, and our DD said, Ohhhhhnooo!!...you haven't tasted my Mom's dressing!!! Funny, neither my Mom now I ever wrote down her recipe for dressing, but mine tastes exactly as hers always did...funny how things work...
    walkonby and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Yes i have several Ukrainian recipe books that she bought from organizations in Montréal through our Church. I look at them often but i think my mom wrote her favorites in her recipe book. That thing is so old, it is literally falling apart, but i treasure it.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Thread Information