User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving 2016 plans?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Are you cooking?

Will you be at home, or going elsewhere and taking something to share?

-
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I am cooking for 16ish. We have a few extra mouths this year unexpectedly but it should be fun. Doing it on Monday. I have a 28 pound turkey and will do a turnip puff, sweet potato casserole with a coconut pecan topping, brandied cranberries, broccoli with cheese sauce,stuffing another vegetable and a salad. Will make a few appetizers for the gang before and will have pumpkin pie and I am thinking rhubarb for a second option. I have lots of allergies on the guest list, onions, wheat, milk, and nuts (good thing the nut allergy guest doens't like sweet potatoes!) so I will have to make some adjustments.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

We will be celebrating Grandson #1 birthday (he will be 8 years old) and my daughter`s birthday and Thanksgiving Day this coming Sunday. So obviously dessert will be 2 birthday cakes! She is making a turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, carrots and peas, brussel sprouts and cabbage rolls and a big salad. There will be 12 of us for dinner, maybe more.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I miss those big gatherings! There will only be the three of us.

So far on the menu - baked ham, cabbage rolls. There will be more...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My big brother is coming in from Los Angeles tomorrow, so there will be four of us for dinner on Sunday. I plan a turkey (buying a fresh one since historically I would have had to take a frozen one out of the freezer in July for it to be defrosted on time). I got a farm box from a school fundraiser with squash, turnip, potatoes, cranberries, apples, onions, parsnips, carrots, so those will all be part of dinner. Not sure what is for dessert yet, but we're picking apples on Saturday so I'm thinking a pie might be in order. We're also possibly expecting Hurricane Matthew to visit late in the weekend, so it will be nice to have leftovers we can reheat or eat cold.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I am cooking with the assistance of my DS who is a red seal chef. He is bringing his fiancé and my DD and her family as well. My MIL is hoping to be well enough to come too. Housefull but that is okay. Turkey and all the trimmings. DD is making pumpkin pies for dessert.
    Natalka, Zonny, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am so excited for Thanksgiving. My family usually does a big lamb roast instead of the turkey, and some stuffed cornish hens. There will be stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn and baked sweet potatoes. My sister will be making pumpkin pie for the first time and we already have some apple pie in the freezer. We may pick up pecan pie from the store.

It's only a dinner for 6 but my family loves Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving leftovers are the best part.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashp View Post
    I am so excited for Thanksgiving. My family usually does a big lamb roast instead of the turkey, and some stuffed cornish hens. There will be stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn and baked sweet potatoes. My sister will be making pumpkin pie for the first time and we already have some apple pie in the freezer. We may pick up pecan pie from the store.

It's only a dinner for 6 but my family loves Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving leftovers are the best part.
    Those sandwiches that you put in turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and gravy....

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I am cooking for 16ish. We have a few extra mouths this year unexpectedly but it should be fun. Doing it on Monday. I have a 28 pound turkey and will do a turnip puff, sweet potato casserole with a coconut pecan topping, brandied cranberries, broccoli with cheese sauce,stuffing another vegetable and a salad. Will make a few appetizers for the gang before and will have pumpkin pie and I am thinking rhubarb for a second option. I have lots of allergies on the guest list, onions, wheat, milk, and nuts (good thing the nut allergy guest doens't like sweet potatoes!) so I will have to make some adjustments.
    please adjust your guest list to 17-ish @thriftygranny , I will be joining you!! ha ha

We are just doing dinner for 6. ( I am pleased with that size/number ) Everyone sits easily around the table, matching dinner plates/cutlery etc. and no one gets placed on a odd man out chair....ha ha

Trying out a new recipe ( winging this really ) for a roasted red pepper soup as the first course appy.
    On the side of the long dish next to the soup bowl I am placing various veggies ( fresh green beans from my garden, asparagus spears and zucchini fingers BUT they will all have been carefully dipped in egg/coated in crumbs and gently sauteed till crisp.
    My thought was instead of a boring cracker, pick up a crunchy, yummy veggy as you eat your soup!

main course is normal.....an 18 lb bird roasted ( DH is on gravy duty as always ) BUT I bought these nifty looking stuffing bags that look like a knee high stocking!! The idea is you place the stuffing in them and then push into the cavity of the bird.

I'll be placing 2, one in/under the neck area and one up the regular passageway.....ha ha ha Hope they come out easily as that is the whole point, not to lose precious stuffing in the crevices of the bird.
    Sides include spuds, ( both sweet and white ) butternut squash, veg medley of brussel sprouts/sweetlet green peas/broccoli, fresh cranberry sauce, homemade pickled beets, sweet pickles/cauliflower mixture.

Dessert mini pumpkin pie tartlets, and a spiced Pumpkin Cake with molasses cream cheese frosting and ginger snap crumbles on top.
    Coffee and a long nap afterwards......hopefully.

babies teach us acceptance

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Mr P is traveling that day...American company

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Step Mom isn't cooking as Half Bro is going to his GF's parents and Sis has plans probably with her BF

Mom decided she does not want to cook so we are going out to new Burger place a few towns over which works for me since I am not the biggest lover of Turkey, I think it the German in me coming out would much prefer a Beef dish.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Walks the table is set for 17ish for tomorrow, just don't tell me you have any allergies! I could take another recipe modification!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Great TG-what time? I am only 1.5 hrs away!! Lol. Enjoy your dinner after all your hard work accomodating everyone!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We went to Montreal yesterday to spend a few hours with P1 as she's studying for her mid-terms..We had lunch out.

Today we had our TG meal as a four-some. I did duck, roast potatoes in honey and sesame seeds, Yorkshire puddings and veggies.

Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, though.
    SnowFlakey and SassyAshley like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Did ours today, Sunday. I did my prep work yesterday and so all I had to do was cook everything and prep the sides. That said, it was 5 hours of work yesterday and a solid 5 hours of cooking work today.

VERY tired!
    SnowFlakey and SassyAshley like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information