User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: BMO : Has FREE coin counters - You don't have to be a customer/No commission either

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went into BMO(Oshawa) today with my bucket of coin to use the coin counter and there was a sign saying as of June 2014 they charge 8% if your not a BMO customer. I believe it was free still for BMO customers if you had less than $250 and if it was over that there was 2-3% fee charged. It was too bad because I used BMO last summer and dumped $1400 in the machine and was in and out in less than 5 minutes. Today I Walked back out, goes against my principle to pay someone to take my money.
    super_e and ROMEO like this.
    WAGJAG has great deals at restaurants and stores in your area:
    http://www.wagjag.com/?c=37&w=6711&w...a8603d053651b2

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for letting us know that BMO is charging a fee for the coin counters. It's not posted online-guess it's an in-branch surprise. http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...q=coin+counter
    Wait-I had to look at their fees and found the rates you mentioned:
    Coin Counter23
    Up to $250 Free
    $250 and above (on the entire amount) 3%
    Non-BMO customers using the Coin Counter (on the entire amount) 8%23

23Available at select BMO Bank of Montreal branches.
    http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/ban...-services-fees

Must wonder how charities needing a quick way to count coins are going to handle any fees if the counters are not in their bank brand. The fees would be an expense against income. Don't know if that applies to trust accounts as well when funds raised are to help someone offset medical expenses or rebuild a life after a residence fire.

In comparision, TD Canada Trust has a no-charge policy for its customers and a fee for non-customers. Gasp-thought TD only charged 3% for non-TD customers. The 3% is for Small Business; plebians get the 8% fee.
    http://www.td.com/to-our-customers/tdhelps/#psce%7Ccid=871%7Clid=1%7Ctid=001%7Cvid=d02a2ef19

Wowsers!
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Reading Snap Hamilton Oct 2014 issue and whoa! First Ontario credit union opened a branch inside Lime Ridge Mall (second floor, above food court) and the coin counter is free to everyone (not just members) to use. BMO staff will likely see foot traffic going to their CU competitor!
    http://www.snaphamilton.com/index.ph...m_sngevents&id[]=722624

Is there an SCer with First Ontario that can indicate if the counters are in all locations or only high-traffic ones?

BTW, I did not know First Ontario CU's Personal Assisted Tellers dispensed various denominations and coins! That's handy! https://www.firstontariocu.com/Perso...sistedTellers/

*Update-the website is not showing information to indicate where coin counters are available. Even the mall location does not mention the coin counter. Hmm. https://www.firstontariocu.com/Perso...14_07_18_36818
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Oct 3rd, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
    ROMEO and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Bramalea City Centre at Brampton has a no-fee coin-counting kiosk in which you get your money in BCC gift card to be spent in any store in the mall.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

TD has a few free coin counters as well. Not in all branches, but in a few of the big ones in the Montreal area anyways. Dump your coins, collect a recipt for the value, and go to the wicket to get your bills. My kids loved it!
    super_e and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Seems that TD Canada Trust stopped their coin-counter program. Someone filed a class action lawsuit over the accuracy of their counting machines.

A statement of claim filed against the bank in Ontario by the Toronto law firm Sotos LLP says that the Canadian machines were retired shortly after they were retired in the United States in May 2016.
    The suit was filed as a class action on behalf of everyone who used TD Bank's coin-changing machines in Canada between January 1, 2013 and May 25, 2016.
    http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...ting-machines/
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've noticed a coin-counting machine at the Canadian Tire in Dartmouth Crossing (NS), but they have it near the exit doors past the checkouts. I never remember to use it, and that's a horrible location. I shop there quite a bit and wouldn't have a problem using it if it were in a better location. In the end, it's Dollarama that ends up with handfuls of nickles and dimes from me.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...rns-arise.html

I did not know that Loblaw stores had coin counters-guess I have not been going to the right stores.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Food Basics at Westcliffe Mall (Hamilton ON) has a Coinstar machine tucked in just off the store's exit. Did not know there was one in the store.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I deposited my coins at a CIBC branch because I was annoyed at the space they were taking up on the counter. I knew how much was there and wrote in the exact amount on my deposit slip. When the employee threw them in the coin sorter behind the main counter, it came up short. I asked him to count again as there was no one else waiting in the branch and at least three idle employees behind the counter. It also wasn't that much in change, maybe less than $10. Anyways, he confirmed that the amount that I had written was correct but next time to roll the coins when I come in.

Whenever I roll coins, they always give me the hairy eyeball as DH calls it, and tell me if there are any discrepancies between my amount declared and the amount in the rolled coins, it will be credited from my account. That always annoys me how it's such a hassle to deposit coins....

So....just a little note that the counters in-branch can make errors as well.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Sun, Oct 9th, 2016 at 01:01 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Rolled coins do go to the bank because I've had to deal with a library patron trying to pay a late fine with a roll of pennies and of course one of the coins was not a penny of US/Cdn origin.
    Also the retail sales act in Ontario has something to say about not accepting rolled coins as payment.

I'm surprised the bank staff gave you the "hairy eyeball" in this age of social media. Glad you asked them to confirm the coin tally as otherwise the bank would have had no qualms shorting you via the account!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Forgot to post that Sobeys Extra Ancaster has a coin counter outside of its classroom/eating area now. Wonder if it came over from the closed Metro in Dundas or from the one at Upper James that will be converted to a Food Basics. Anyhow, there's a sign saying that the receipt has to be applied to same-day purchases in the store. YMMV.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Laurentian Bank won't accept coins for deposit. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/change...oins-1.4603790

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information