User Tag List

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree2563Likes

Thread: October 2016 Frugal Chatter Thread All Welcome!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Found LO's lost mitten!

Currently, I'm sitting in my dining room freezing and waiting for the furnace guy to come. Brrr!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hey ladies -just did a bit more on-line shopping (the bay has free shipping today)a bought a lovely camisole in blush colour for me for the sheer blouse I bought for 6.70 last month at the bay -I only have 2 black camisoles oh and 3 pairs of tommy Hilfiger socks 7.20 clearance for me a lot of my socks are getting holey and old -so spent 33.00 on me feels great shopping for me
    -relaxing today as gonna go to Toronto to babysit Sebastian from 5.30 til around 9.00 so daughter and her hubby can go for a nice little meal out -their first time since they had him

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Enjoy the baby snuggles Coupon Girl!!
    Well it is treacherous out there this morning, I don't think I have seen freezing rain come down so hard, it actually woke me up at 6 this morning.It is supposed to turn to 5-10 centimeters of snow later this morning. The snow we had from last week just melted, it is going to be a very long winter here in Alberta.
    Having a kitchen day today, I already have pots boiling on the stove, doing up some black beans in the pressure cooker to make some burritos for the freezer and I have everything ready to assemble taquitos in a bit.
    Will have to do a really good vacuum today, our Lab is 14 years old and shedding like crazy, poor thing is getting stiff and having a few mobility issues, we will have to face facts that we will have to let her go at some point. We had a family discussion and we decided if she can't navigate the icy sidewalks this winter it was time. I'm rooting for her to have more time with us but I can't see her suffer, her daily walks are so slow I have to walk her separately from our little dog otherwise I feel like a wishbone being pulled by the little one and waiting for the old one.
    After the house is tidied I will be waiting impatiently for the Jays game, can't wait!!
    Enjoy the weekend everyone and if you're in Alberta be careful on the roads!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Still waiting for Mr. Furnace. I also ordered a new filter from them (as it is a special size not carried by Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, Rona, etc.

I'm thinking about placing an online order from Toys R Us for the birthday gift for the party, one from Amazon to replace some housewares, and Old Navy for some clothes.

Somehow, it seems cost more while I am home, though they are all things I've been planning to order for some time - with the exception of the birthday gift.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Thrifty Granny: I think winter will be tough for all this year. We got off easy in Ontario last winter. DH & I have decided that we are putting snow tires on my SUV as it is what we use to drive any distance (boys are too tall for long rides in his car) he works at home so we are going to just wait and see if we need to put them on as he does not drive much.
    Our attempt to get the fireplace started was a failure, and its over 2 weeks for a technician to be free. DH is going to try a few more things to see if he can correct it but looking at the long range forecast I suspect the furnace will be on sooner than I had hoped.
    We have been moving our investments around as we were not at all happy with the lack of interest from our current adviser. So much so the guy did not even call to see why we just pulled a boat load of money out and closed the accounts. I am feeling quite excited to see what happens now as I feel much better about this new relationship. We both only plan to work another 10 years so the money needs to get growing.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Lilo, my husband is a financial adviser, it is unbelievable how many of them don't give a damn about their clients. My husband has yearly meetings with all clients, some a lot more if need be. I scour the papers for birth announcements, deaths, accomplishments etc and always touch base with them via a card and a note, the same with clients that are ill. It is a lot of extra work but this is one of the most important decisions a person will make. When were were young and before my husband switched to this career we thought we chose an adviser we were happy with, oh boy we were uneducated, we heard nothing after he got our business and almost lost everything for us.Lesson learned the hard way.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Lilo, my husband is a financial adviser, it is unbelievable how many of them don't give a damn about their clients. My husband has yearly meetings with all clients, some a lot more if need be. I scour the papers for birth announcements, deaths, accomplishments etc and always touch base with them via a card and a note, the same with clients that are ill. It is a lot of extra work but this is one of the most important decisions a person will make. When were were young and before my husband switched to this career we thought we chose an adviser we were happy with, oh boy we were uneducated, we heard nothing after he got our business and almost lost everything for us.Lesson learned the hard way.
    wow, that's son nice of you to go the extra mile. Its scary to think they hold our financial future.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Feverish baby. Happy it's the weekend. Two birthdays tomorrow 6 and 60!!!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger hope the baby feels better soon
    @thriftygranny going the extra mile means a lot to your clients. And sorry to hear about your aging pet, they are so much part of the family, it's heartbreaking as we see them decline in health.
    @avoncallingu wishing your dh good luck with his treatments, if they don't offer parking pass, just ask I'm sure they will come up with something even if it's discounted price it all helps out
    @coupon girl enjoy Sabastien and hope all goes well
    @Frugalbigmama great price on the turkeys
    @sweet sparrow there is a mail in rebate in the Wm magazine that expire late December buy a turkey and mustard and get mustard free after rebate, something to consider when you purchase for Christmas as it's too late for the one already purchased.

FIL came back this am, he will clean my chimney on Sunday before his work, thankfully it was so cold this am, I had the oven going.

Going to conquer the last of the tomatoes as I have no way to get them to the food bank, they were closed on Wednesday when MIL took me out AND I hate wasting food. I gave the neighbour a grocery bag of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers he was very happy as he is on a fixed income so it all helps.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekened.

I've started my Christmas list for everyone we purchase for, everytime I hear someone say I would like that or I should buy that, I write it down for Christmas, I've got quite the list so I'm excited to start my shopping at the end of the month.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

SIL and BIL are staying over and two doggies are trying to establish whose the boss of who(m). Plus our dog goes viral whenever someone stands up or approaches the door. BIL got a demonstration of how she can go from nice pooch to maniac in 1/2 a second when he got up to go to the bathroom. We made the promise to dog-sit and everything will be fine when it's just dogs and us. Something has to happen to curb this behaviour. But with DH starting chemo on Tuesday with more visits from the nurse and a new cleaning helper and a wedding out of town for me next weekend and Sadie needing to be spayed in the next couple of weeks, it's all I can do to keep everyone calm- me included!

Will HAVE to get out to the pharmacy tomorrow to pick up meds. Maybe I will take one dog with me.

I have more things to post on kijiji but I doubt that will get done tomorrow. I think I am going to write out a "weekly plan" like I used to do at school to make sure everything gets done on time next week.

Got to mail U S Halloween cards by Oct. 20 or they won't get there on time. Several things to do in Chatham while I am there next week. Whew! That's tomorrow's thinking- not tonight's!

Take care and good-night!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

morning all. up early on a sat am. DH took oldest to work, then we need to take my mom to costco. I have a very small, but needed list.
    new curtains will go up. and I will be spending the day doing housework.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Cold this morning - turned up the furnace to 68 degrees. Glad I bought new slippers from Avon - feet are warm and toasty. Today I'm returning light bulbs to Home Depot as I got a much better deal at Canadian Tire. Almost finished changing my light bulbs over - can't believe how much brighter LED's are. I hope it makes a difference in my next hydro bill. Just got notification that our hydro bill will now be monthly starting in Jan but the water bill will be every two months.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    We have been moving our investments around as we were not at all happy with the lack of interest from our current adviser. So much so the guy did not even call to see why we just pulled a boat load of money out and closed the accounts. I am feeling quite excited to see what happens now as I feel much better about this new relationship. We both only plan to work another 10 years so the money needs to get growing.
    I am thinking about doing the same - my financial person is MIL. I have been with a major bank but now is the time to switch to an adviser that my friends are speaking highly of. I have retired early due to health reasons and need my money to last.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Attachment 320660

Happy Caturday! Quincy cat thinks everyone should grab a dog pillow and nap in the sun.

So, one little goldfish was still going strong, and, me being me, I finally named him. Unfortunately, BC (cause he reminded me of a border collie going after sheep when he chased his tankmates around) joined his fellow goldfish yesterday.

Murray fish, the betta, has been looking for him ever since (I had the two tanks in such a way that they could sort of see each other but be able to avoid each other if either felt threatened - they used to swim around then stare at each other, sort of like fish tv). Murray fish is still not quite himself (I think he's depressed ).

Still hanging in there. Going to spend the weekend downtown & drink a tankard or two of rootbeer to toast the little goldfish.

Now, for a bit of good news. I don't want to say too much and jinx it (the way life's been going this year....), but I had 2 lengthy interviews (one on the phone, the other in person out in the country a couple of hours' drive away) and if all goes well the brats & I will have a little blonde roommate early in the new year. Very impressed with the humans (they take incredible care of their critters) and even more impressed with the daddy-to-be (incredibly smart and oh-so-charming).

I had been debating whether or not it's a good idea, but bff (who took me on the day trip to the country) insisted that I needed more happiness in my life (D also was the one who bought Murray and the goldfish). Brats are still keeping a close eye on me, being just naughty enough to keep me on my toes.

Better get going. Have to make turkey soup for the brats before we leave this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Wow, baby girl cut 4 more teeth this week. 3 of them were molars. She now has 11 teeth. Her twin brother still only has 4 teeth.

I've had a shower and bathed all three of our kids this morning. My mom contacted me on Thursday. She is coming to visit along with her fiancé and my two you get brothers. They'll be arriving this afternoon. I'll get some help digging my potatoes and carrots. They're staying in a hotel tonight and will head home again tomorrow. We plan on attending the model engendering show tomorrow, $2/adult.

I've folded and put away 2 loads of laundry. Still need to clean house more before these last minute guests arrive.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Oct 15th, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information