Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Get your free credit score

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    Go to this site:
    http://www.consumer.equifax.ca/home/en_ca

For the FREE credit report (mailed to you, so not instant), go to the spot where it says "free credit file":
    Attachment 321135

Hope this helps! @Silk

Thanks, Valerey - yes that helps a lot!

I have never requested a credit score or report before - is it safe to do and are there any precautions I should take?

Hmm, just looked at the form and have to include copies of gov-issued ID. Also, if I read it correctly, you have to pay $11.95 to get your credit score:

 YES, I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO PURCHASE MY EQUIFAX CREDIT SCORE* FOR $11.95 (tax included) and I authorize Equifax to charge the payment to my credit card:  VISA  MasterCard  AMEX

So is it a matter of get the score for free or get the report for free, but you can't get both for free?

Silk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Every credit bureau must provide you with a free copy of your report once a year (so that you can monitor your credit and correct inaccuracies). It is just the report not the score. You have to ask for it every time and from my experience they do not make it easy and be VERY careful to read the fine print before finalizing anything as I find that they sneak in extra stuff that make you agree to purchase.
    Silk and mulock like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theexxx View Post
    Every credit bureau must provide you with a free copy of your report once a year (so that you can monitor your credit and correct inaccuracies). It is just the report not the score. You have to ask for it every time and from my experience they do not make it easy and be VERY careful to read the fine print before finalizing anything as I find that they sneak in extra stuff that make you agree to purchase.
    Thanks - good to know! But since some people are able to get their score free, I'm assuming you can ask for one or the other but not both. And it sounds like this can be done once a year. So maybe I could ask for my free score one year and the free report another year or ask for a score from TransUnion and the report from Equifax, or vice versa?

Has anyone actually gotten a copy of their credit report - or just the score?

But if they are going to be sneaky about it, maybe I should just settle for my score...

Silk
    Valerey likes this.

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

@Silk -

My suggestion would be:

1. Go on Borrowell and get your free credit score. If the score is what you expected, or where you need it to be, you can stop there (if you're applying for a loan or mortgage, 650 is as low as you want to be). The cool thing with Borrowell is that it gives you the chart also to tell you how good/bad your score is and you can check again every three months (for free!)
    Name:  borrowell.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  23.6 KB

2. If you want more information on why your score is where it is, you'll have to get the credit report. Mail in to Equifax for the free report mailed to you (and yes you'll need to provide ID - it's for your protection) or pay the $23 to get your report online, which will be emailed to you within minutes. (For me this was worth it to pay the one time)

Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerey View Post
    @Silk -

My suggestion would be:

1. Go on Borrowell and get your free credit score. If the score is what you expected, or where you need it to be, you can stop there (if you're applying for a loan or mortgage, 650 is as low as you want to be). The cool thing with Borrowell is that it gives you the chart also to tell you how good/bad your score is and you can check again every three months (for free!)
    Name:  borrowell.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  23.6 KB

2. If you want more information on why your score is where it is, you'll have to get the credit report. Mail in to Equifax for the free report mailed to you (and yes you'll need to provide ID - it's for your protection) or pay the $23 to get your report online, which will be emailed to you within minutes. (For me this was worth it to pay the one time)

Thanks, Valerey, for the great advice. I will start with the free score and take it from there.

And I appreciate your giving the benchmarks re: credit scores - this is all pretty new to me

Silk
    Valerey likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Received my 'mailed out' credit report from EquiFax last week, but I didn't pay for the "credit score." Unfortunately I am unable to get my credit score from Borrowell, as I keep getting an error:

We're sorry, but we're unable to give you your credit score, as we were not able to verify your identity.This could be because:

• You may have placed an alert on your Equifax account
    • If you were presented questions, the answers you provided did not match Equifax's records
    • Your credit may be too new

You may want to obtain a copy of your credit report by contacting Equifax at 1-800-465-7166 to ensure your information is correct.

We take privacy and data security very seriously. We are working on a backup solution to verify your identity. Once we have that in place, we will get in touch with those who didn't get through the process.

- There's no alert on my Equifax account.
    - Borrowell couldn't even access my questions from Equifax.
    - My credit has existed for 26 years....definitely not what I would consider "new."

Phoning Equifax was fruitless, as they will not discuss credit history, etc over the phone. I submitted (via fax) all the documentation to Equifax, and my report is in mint health.

Not sure what the problem is, but disappointed I couldn't get the free credit score from Borrowell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information