User Tag List

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree1854Likes

Thread: November 2016 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just got in at 9.30 from watching Sebastian -ohh just love seeing him grow (haven't seen him in 2 weeks )he is 14 pounds now almost 10 weeks on Tuesday -we watched him from 5.00 til 8.30 -daughter and her hubby went to play ping pong and then out for pizza -they also bought us a pizza for watching him -he is so sweet -ahhh loved it -got home in less than an hour too from Toronto -gonna go to bed now pretty tired

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    I managed to make a stir fry yesterday, I know it doesn't sound like a lot but standing yesterday was a challenge. Managed to use up a bunch veggies from the fridge that needed to go Mushrooms, Peppers, Cabbage, Celery. I did not feel like Stir Fry last night so I used half the Chicken I had out in the Stir Fry which is now in the fridge for lunches/dinners this week and the half I put Dry Rub BBQ Spice on and make some potatoes.

I am feeling better today then I was yesterday still going to take it easy but still want to try to get a few things done. I have to get some laundry done as now that High Peak is between 5 pm & 7 pm there is no getting laundry done during the week. Also think I am going to put on a Pot of Lasagna Soup to use up some Tomato Paste and Pasta we have in the fridge. That is about all I have planned for today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Good Morning!
    I arrived home from Ottawa yesterday and I am still tired. It was a very emotional and stressful time. My brother in law's memorial service was one of the nicest and meaningful funeral services I have been to. I don't know how my sister managed it in all her grief. He was such a wonderful man. My sister will have a lot of adjusting to do but was holding up well.
    I took the train from Ottawa to Waterloo and visited my Aunt and had a wonderful time reminiscing about my mother and getting some family history since I was orphaned at 14 I didn't have a lot to go on for memories.
    I went to shoppers and got my granddaughter a PS4, more than I would normally spend but it was a great buy. The price was 389.00 but you got a 100.00 gift card with purchase and I used 170.00 in points and had an offer for 20x on anything so I received about 90.00 back in points. So in the end the price was 29.00 if I include all the promos I used. Can't beat that and I will have one happy granddaughter.
    I wrapped a ton of gifts last night and made a list of the few things I need to pick up. I vowed last year that I wouldn't buy any more Christmas wrap until i used up all my odds and ends and I still have lots left!!It is going up to zero today so I am going to make some outdoor Christmas planters with the trimmings from one of our spruce tress and some nice branches I sprayed with out door snow.I may wrap our birch tree with lights but we will see how far I get!!
    The hunters are coming home today and our freezer will be full, so that is a comforting feeling for the winter, we have deer, moose, grouse, ducks and geese and pheasant. I bought my husband a beautiful book on preparing game birds and I know he will love it!! the work begins making sausage and cured meats soon and it is a big job!!
    Enjoy the day everyone!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We are unexpectedly caring for my brother's 21 month old twins, in addition to our own 16 month old twins, 4yr old, plus Dh, and I. So I think tonight's revised supper plans are home made waffles, Johnsonville breakfast sausages, canned fruit, and a glass of milk.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela _273 -waffles rep! Wow, a really full house plus your brother will be visiting. Does he know how make pizza or help you with casseroles or hot sandwiches? If he does and your DS helps with any prep work he can, you'll be able to get meals on. But it's fair to see if there are shortcuts (frozen items, cereals) that can give you some extra time for self or with the kids.
    @SassyAshley -you may want to try buttered toast tonight sprinkled with 1/4 tsp of nutmeg-a sleep remedy read about in First for Women magazine (I am now such a fan of this magazine that I feel all medical clinic waiting rooms should carry it rather than celebrity magazines-so many ideas for health and tips to make life easier). Was there any food that was out of the ordinary for you or a room or place that seemed off to you this week? Could be key to what is causing your body to rebel. Glad you are taking it easier this weekend.

Yesterday I did bake two things-obviously the chocolate lentil cakes from the March Alive magazine really does need semi sweet chocolate (out of stock at home) as the result tasted more like cocoa flavoured rice pudding in fudge form. Rather cool to see the lentils looking pale but I did not wait for them to cool to room temp as recipe indicated nor did I have the maple syrup or particular sugar. The standby apple coffee cake-did add the Triple Fruit apricot passionfruit jam to the apples along with lemon & lime zests and juices (1 cube each) and instead of using cinnamon, used some allspice and cloves (from new containers-intense aromas) plus some nutmeg for a spicier cake. Oh yes it was more peppery but good-perfect with Earl Grey tea this morning! OK the cake did not rise much (out of baking soda-I see a grocery list to compile) but it was golden on top and even cracked a little at the edges. Got my sweet fixes for the weekend.

Since the gas meter will be changed tomorrow, I cleaned around the dryer and stove yesterday (appliances will have to be relit afterwards). Leaving the hot water heater and furnace to brother if he deigns to assume Dad won't bother (as he has not) moving his items away, as contact letter indicates 1m clearance all around is needed (even for the gas meter outside, but I trimmed plants already two weeks ago, so it should be fine outside).

Rather upset to see all the oak leaves dance in today's winds and travel off property. Mulchfest remains on my mind.

Boots are still warm in today's conditions-good test day. Glad I tucked a cotton scarf around my neck in the sweater v-neck to provide some more draft protection. Did not think the day deserved a bulkier scarf but if I had not kept to 30min from home, I would have soon realized I needed that scarf. Gratitude rep for winter hoods that come with elasticized cords to adjust hood for weather-could not have walked far without that feature!

Products that got used up despite not being used by others-last of quinoa got cooked today with some chicken bouillon, green pepper bits and more lemon and lime zests plus that last of the apricot jam-zesty, oh yes! The tube of bamboo shampoo bought at end of March thinking Mom would like it-finished it today. Have eyes on some frozen cowboy steaks that have been in freezer since March-want that space freed up stat. Took out Dad's sandwich loaf out last night to thaw in fridge when I realized there was no sliced bread or English muffins in pantry. Good call-he made toast this morning.

If it was possible to take existing items I consider junk, pulverize them and turn them into source materials to make 3D printings of things I'd like to have, it might solve what to do with the two plastic shelving units still taking space in basement (there are more units I'd like to see gone). Would not mind some 3D printed fabric, for starters!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Angela-I think by now you must know how it feels to be a mother of quads-at least for a short time-I can imagine your household is very busy before adding extra children! Sounds like a kid friendly dinner.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@ Ciel My brother, his MIL, and the twins are doing a day trip down in order to pack up more stuff from their house. So we have the twins while the two adults work. Unfortunately this is not a social visit. My sick SIL stayed in Regina with their nearly 7yr old son. I spoke with her this morning. She has received 42 units of blood since May long weekend. She is on 8 different medications, 7 are completely covered by the province. Her alternative form of dialysis didn't work properly, so she has been receiving traditional dialysis at a hospital. She is still very tired and is unable to pick up their twins when she is standing.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

While waiting for water to boil to make Lipton's chicken noodle soup, I looked through the cupboards and noticed a bag of large flake oatmeal which I had forgotten about. This week, I'll use it with the unsweetened coconut to make some cookies. I put two boxes' worth of white tea bags into one box to free up shelf room and I still have some green tea with ginger bags to use up. I put some green tea into my soup bowl to get the benefits in one meal. Had 4 ice cream cups left-2 were broken up to add bulk to soup.

Baking supplies are hit and miss so started a new grocery list as flour is also in low stock. Too bad Mom and I missed the $7.47 for 10kg bag sale over a week ago. Even she expressed some sadness over that lost opportunity. I try not to push too much on sale items as she shops when she wants and I do the same but she goes more often to the same stores. The bigger grocery items require the cart or Mom arranging a ride with someone (her preference). When snow lands to stay, I will find it hard to want to tote anything heavy except for laundry detergent unless the cart can be used on icy sidewalks.

The Green Giant booklet on the Coupon Zone board has a $1 off wub 2 GG frozen products (Apr.30, 2017 expiry) coupon and three recipes.
    The Coke Life mini cans coupon (50 cents off; Loblaw banner stores only) expires on Dec. 16. The Simply Beverages coupons (save $1 on any one 1.75L or 2.63L product)expire on Feb. 28, 2017.

The Longos 2017 calendar bagged with their Holiday Experience magazine has some dates on the pages for ordering turkey kits (Dec.20 by 5pm), Longos events or Loft cooking classes (Holy Cannoli event is on Dec.10-11). Calendar goes from Dec. 2016 to Dec.2017. A different vendor product is featured in each month's recipe.

That reminds me-time to set up the December budget and to jot some January 2017 purchases into my new planner. Have my eyes set on another pair of walking shoes (tried on last week). Hope they are still in stock come HST day in Jan!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hi!

New to the thread, glad to see that others are on a clean out the pantry and freezer kick too. I plan to empty out my cupboard of dry items and try to use everything up by the end of December so i can start fresh in the new year. The freezer is a bit of a longer term goal but it is still on the to do list.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hortgirl View Post
    Hi!

New to the thread, glad to see that others are on a clean out the pantry and freezer kick too. I plan to empty out my cupboard of dry items and try to use everything up by the end of December so i can start fresh in the new year. The freezer is a bit of a longer term goal but it is still on the to do list.
    Welcome to the thread.

I'm trying not to buy stuff for the freezer. I would like to thaw it out before Christmas. I won't have to get rid of everything, but it's best if we eat it down a lot to make the process easier. We have decided to travel up to Saskstoon for Christmas and my dad will likely send up home with a cooler full of meat either for free, or cheaper than you can get it from a store. My dad hunts and also buys meat directly from farmers in his area, which is 7hrs away from where I live with my young family.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have absolutely no freezer room! The chest and the fridge freezer are full. Plus have 5 turkeys and perogies and bacon in my mom's freezer.

Saturday night my honey made an amazing homemade pasta sauce with 1/2 club back of lean beef. (he picked up 5 at $1 LB and each package is approx. 4lbs.) Then after dinner we cooked 1.5 packages of the beef into taco meat. Have 3 nice big containers in the freezer to pull out for quick dinner both kids love.

Yesterday was an "us" day. Nothing got done in the house. We had brunch and dinner on free comps. Tonight he works late so I plan to tidy kitchen/fridge and do laundry.

We are off to Great Wolf Lodge on Wednesday till Friday so not much time to get stuff done around the house so I will have to use my time wisely tonight and tomorrow night.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

For the third time, I've chipped a tooth on a certain hard cereal. I have banned myself for life from this brand and will only eat the other cereals in our cabinet from now on. Argh! Three times a chipped tooth??! My dentist was able to book me in on Saturday for an emergency appointment. The cost of whatever this work is going to entail, plus the two hour drive there and back with LO is going to be quite the hassle!

On my maternity leave, I have the option of cancelling my benefits at work. It only costs me a few hundred dollars each year to have the same package as DH, although it costs him nearly $900. We will have to look into alternate life insurance, but not sure about providers.

I've given some thought to buying an upright freezer with our growing family of four, but do not want to deal with the hassle of letting meat go bad in two freezers instead of one.

What a crazy week last week! I've never had to train three people for my position before, plus try to be responsible for my own work. Nothing got done at work or at home. I barely had time to breathe. Not long before baby comes now.... I'm a little nervous about the doctor on call. My friend told me she had the same doctor as I had at the hospital the first time. She's a little too fast and will only give you a few pushes before she breaks out the scissors. I thought there was a complication with my situation, but I really didn't feel like I got more than a few minutes to push (given that I hadn't slept or eaten in the past day, I don't think that's too much to ask for!!).

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Just filled out my 2nd rebate form for Finish dishwasher product. I hadn't done any over the years since I was stocked up from the promo when PC PTS had just started. (free just paid tax) But am finally out. I can't believe how expensive it is so happy to have the rebate (and used $4 coupon) so it will be total free. I also received 1000 PC pts for buying it on Saturday (personal offer). I am going to try and stay on top of these now since they seem to offer them all the time!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Just filled out my 2nd rebate form for Finish dishwasher product. I hadn't done any over the years since I was stocked up from the promo when PC PTS had just started. (free just paid tax) But am finally out. I can't believe how expensive it is so happy to have the rebate (and used $4 coupon) so it will be total free. I also received 1000 PC pts for buying it on Saturday (personal offer). I am going to try and stay on top of these now since they seem to offer them all the time!
    Our Superstore carries the no name yellow box of dishwasher detergent for $3. I've tried all kinds of brands and this brand washes just as well as any other. So happy I found this - it is on the bottom shelf where one can't easily see it. Of course all the expensive brands are at eye level.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information