User Tag List

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree723Likes

Thread: [Rant] Ontario Hydro-you used less energy so you have to pay more. Huh?

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I switched all of my light bulbs to LED and will use solar lights for my Christmas decorating. I feel badly for people up north. The good news is for once our rates haven't increased with time of use. I guess politicians make too much money to be concerned about utility costs.
    One of the issues though is that so many people were conserving energy like this. That hydro sold less power than thy thought they would and rasied prices because of it. It's ridiculious really, hey everyone needs to conserve and buy efficent light bulbs etc. Oops people are conserving too much so we have to raise rates.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I live in Timmins and my rent includes hydro, cable and internet. Wondering how long it is before landlord decides to end that or at the very least charge a portion for hydro. I Have been in this building for about 2 years and have no idea what my landlord pays in hydro for 15 units.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    I live in Timmins and my rent includes hydro, cable and internet. Wondering how long it is before landlord decides to end that or at the very least charge a portion for hydro. I Have been in this building for about 2 years and have no idea what my landlord pays in hydro for 15 units.
    The Ontario landlord & tenant board frowns on that, if they take away a service (free hydro in your case), they have to give you a rent reduction. They can go to the board for an increase above the max allowed, but they usually only approve them if major work will be done, not just 'costs increased'
    I know a landlord who took away free parking for people who didn't use their spots. He ended up being in trouble and the tenants got a $50/month rebate on rent even though they didn't have a car (which is why he rented the spots to other tenants for $25/m for 2nd cars). There was visitor parking, but he took away the right to something they previously had, even if unused. They said that nearby parking was $50/m at public parking so they got it, for the 6 months it dragged through the tenant board
    barbis9, cabmonk, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Thanks for the info. It's always good to know what's allowed.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Come January 1st the Ontario government wants to bury the new cap and trade tax in the delivery charge so you won't be able to tell exactly what this new tax is costing you. The auditor general and most Ontarians (89%)want to see it clearly shown as a separate line charge.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...itor-says.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://canadafreepress.com/article/w...birds-and-bats

In Spain wind turbines kill 6 to 18 million birds and bats a year and in the US up to 39 million. In southern Ontario wind projects surround lake shores where millions of birds flock to during migration. This could lead to extinction of many species.
    barbis9, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Not exactly clean energy if the environment (nature) takes a loss of birds.
    barbis9 and Shwa Girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

DH is finished doing the annual " how much did Hydro One charge us for the past year" audit and surprise!, we used 2200 kw LESS this past year and it ended up costing us $200 MORE!!! Thanks a bunch Kathleen!!!
    Last edited by Tweets77; Wed, Jan 4th, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweets77 View Post
    DH is finished doing the annual " how much did Hydro One charge us for the past year" audit and surprise!, we used 2200 kw LESS this past year and it ended up costing us $20 MORE!!! Thanks a bunch Kathleen!!!
    My mother recently moved up north from the Durham region to just outside of Boncaygeon and is now stuck with Hydro One, she'll probably struggle with the cost of power up there now
    barbis9, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    My mother recently moved up north from the Durham region to just outside of Boncaygeon and is now stuck with Hydro One, she'll probably struggle with the cost of power up there now
    hope she qualifies for some discounts
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Hydro One seems to charge quite a bit more that local companies. Of course if you ask them, they have multiple reasons to throw at you.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    hope she qualifies for some discounts
    She does have a fairly low income and her wife (my step mother) is currently in school with no income, it's just a matter if she actually applies for the discounts she could be getting

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Ontario gov't's claim that "we didn't understand the impact" just doesn't fly. You don't need a PhD to get it. How does making electricity so costly make you want to use cleaner energy. Now they are also making fossil fuels more costly too with cap and trade. The oil companies won't be paying they'll pass the costs on to us as will the grocery stores etc. It is going to impact the lower income people the most. I need to buy a new dryer and actually considering a gas dryer as running an electric one is 3xs as much.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    The Ontario gov't's claim that "we didn't understand the impact" just doesn't fly. You don't need a PhD to get it. How does making electricity so costly make you want to use cleaner energy. Now they are also making fossil fuels more costly too with cap and trade. The oil companies won't be paying they'll pass the costs on to us as will the grocery stores etc. It is going to impact the lower income people the most. I need to buy a new dryer and actually considering a gas dryer as running an electric one is 3xs as much.
    we have a gas dryer and while it costs more to purchase the saving are significant in my opinion. I also put a clothes line up last year for the 1st time ever and used that 100% of the summer months.
    Tweets77, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^thnx for the info on the gas dryer! I too am drying outside in the summer months when I can! (Towels are bit scratchy so finish them off in the dryer for 10 minutes or so.) Can't justify a new gas stove right now as my electric one still has some life left in it.
    barbis9, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information