User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Internet with Teksavvy, Start, etc.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I am with Vonage for phone (gives me a UK phone number that makes it free for family to call me) and they contact me every few months to make sure my 911 address is correct. So as long as you ensure the database is up to date, it is actually safer for 911 calls than your cell (as long as all are plugged into a power backup otherwise no internet = no phone line)
    anisa likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Should I go cable or DSL?
    Silk and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    Should I go cable or DSL?
    Did a search and found this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tech-tip...at748301881084

It's kind of old I think, since it talks about dial-up(!) but there's some interesting basic info there. I learned something

Here's another site with more detailed info:

https://www.reference.com/technology...b664b0ec0fb66d

And this one is from TS:

https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/a...Cable-Internet

Basically what I understand is that cable is generally more expensive and faster than DSL but during peak times it can be slower than DSL because it is a shared connection. I know other SCers will correct me if i'm wrong or add to what I said if I missed something

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Wed, Dec 14th, 2016 at 06:17 PM.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

^ I am planning to switch from DSL to Cable when I change providers because i will be doing voip and I don't want to pay for dry loop every month.

Silk
    anisa, ROMEO and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

When I spoke to Teksavvy, the salesperson seemed confident that if I went DSL I could sign up for a connection slower than their Cable connection speed. Teksavvy offers both.

She referred to the fact that Cable would/could choke up during busier times. The final cost for DSL was going to be cheaper than Cable, after factoring in all costs, including dry loop.

I am wondering if techies have a preference of one over the other.
    carlyincanada likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    When I spoke to Teksavvy, the salesperson seemed confident that if I went DSL I could sign up for a connection slower than their Cable connection speed. Teksavvy offers both.

She referred to the fact that Cable would/could choke up during busier times. The final cost for DSL was going to be cheaper than Cable, after factoring in all costs, including dry loop.

I am wondering if techies have a preference of one over the other.
    We had horrible issues with cable (before teksavvy) choking in our area when we had it so went with DSL but it really depends on your area.
    Cable has faster connections when at full potential
    anisa, carlyincanada and intx like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    We had horrible issues with cable (before teksavvy) choking in our area when we had it so went with DSL but it really depends on your area.
    Cable has faster connections when at full potential
    It's very area dependent, yes. You might be in an area with great dsl/terrible cable, great cable/terrible dsl, or they both have issues. Speaking with your neighbours and ask their opinion.

Keep in mind also when people are talking about all the reasons dsl is better then cable, they're also talking about 15 yrs ago. Are you also using a 15yr old computer?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cleacy1972 View Post
    It's very area dependent, yes. You might be in an area with great dsl/terrible cable, great cable/terrible dsl, or they both have issues. Speaking with your neighbours and ask their opinion.

Keep in mind also when people are talking about all the reasons dsl is better then cable, they're also talking about 15 yrs ago. Are you also using a 15yr old computer?
    yes but in many areas the lines are well over 15 yrs old so the issues still exist. I know my parents can not get anything faster than the 15/1 plan with teksavvy because the lines are old in he area.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

So to be a little more specific then, does anyone have experience with internet in St Catharines?
    Last edited by anisa; Wed, Dec 14th, 2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Davetherave likes this.
    R

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anisa have you checked out www.start.ca? Go on their website and plug in your postal code and see what speeds they offer in your area that you're willing to pay. I have been with them for a few years and they have been trouble free.

I'm paying $45/month for 15 mbps cable with a 200 gb cap. I have never gone over the cap despite a lot of tv streaming and the speed is good enough, but I live alone, I don't know whether you'd want something with a bigger cap if multiple people will be using it. I think they offer the option to remove the monthly cap for an extra $15/month.

Another option might be www.vmedia.ca.

As for cable vs dsl I have used both and there is no difference, just get whatever.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    As for cable vs dsl I have used both and there is no difference, just get whatever.
    I would have to 100% disagree with you on that. There's a huge difference in them, in particular in regards to specific locations. That's like saying all restaurants are the same: They provide you with food.
    Last edited by cleacy1972; Wed, Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cleacy1972 View Post
    I would have to 100% disagree with you on that. There's a huge difference in them, in particular in regards to specific locations. That's like saying all restaurants are the same: They provide you with food.
    In 1998, yes, people on cable experienced slowdowns during peak hours. Today that is not an issue. Maybe rural residents on dsl might notice a difference based on how far they are from the central office. If you live in an average subdivision in any town, or in a dense urban area, you will notice no difference in cable vs dsl today.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you live in an average subdivision in any town, or in a dense urban area, you will notice no difference in cable vs dsl today.
    I live in a dense urban area, and the fastest connection available through Bell is 50mb/10mb. I have a 500mbit/20mbit cable connection through Rogers. I see a difference.

That I receive my rated speed at all times however doesn't mean someone in another area/city would. Yes most provider have the backend capactity regardless of the connection type, however, the rated maximum speed (let alone pricing) is going to be different between cable and DSL, as well as being entirely dependent on the physical facilities in your area.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

In 1998, yes, people on cable experienced slowdowns during peak hours. Today that is not an issue. Maybe rural residents on dsl might notice a difference based on how far they are from the central office. If you live in an average subdivision in any town, or in a dense urban area, you will notice no difference in cable vs dsl today.
    I live close to downtown in an urban centre. I had 25mbps cable and at 2-3am would get 22 or so but peak times, 10 if I was lucky and downtime constantly.
    DSL speedtests are generally within my speed range regardless of time.

Anisa, there are various speedtest sites that allow you to check by area. It relies on others having done a speedtest and knowing what connection they actually have but should give you an idea.
    anisa, Silk, carlyincanada and 1 others like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have Wightman Internet? I'm out in rural area. I'm gonna give a call to Wightman tomorrow to see if they can set us up here. I'm with Megawire, absolutely awful service. Internet constantly keeps going in and out. We are so sick of it... 😤😰😥

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    anisa likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information