User Tag List

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree2233Likes

Thread: December 2016 Frugal Chatter thread (all welcome)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

When I was still in university and renting a small basement suite, I had some street parking problems. In one instance I took my truck to go grocery shopping in the evening on 10% off Tuesday. When I returned the city had power our side street and intentionally dumped a big pile of snow which covered most of my usual street parking spot, which is where my extension cord would reach. I dug out a good part of that pile so that I could park more easily. Later that week I drove my truck for a short errand and returned to a neighbour's vehicle parked where I had shoveler out the pile. It became quite a mess when the snow melted because that pile of snow blocked the runoff from going down the street, which resulted in a puddle nearly as large as my vehicle, which would still freeze at times. Anyway, I agree that some neighbours can be quite rude, and that is excluding the countless hit and runs on our vehicles in Estevan.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Fixing autocorrect errors
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ever since we moved into complex parking when it snows has been an issue. A number of residence will not come out when the plow is here and move their cars but after the plow leave them come out and move their cars to cleaned spaces.

We have actually had people go door to door saying the plow is here or coming and people won't come out to move their cars but then get mad when they stuck in a space. If they had come out earlier a large number of us were in the parking lot digging out cars and the guys where even pushing cars to get them out of snowed spaces.

Sad to see everyone try to come together and have a few people ruin it.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    We live in a subdivision with street parking - so parking is for anyone and can't be reserved. We've been bombarded with snow the past week and hubby and I have been out shoveling these parking areas. It ticks me off that people will risk sliding into other people's cars trying to get into spots that have not been shoveled out and will do NOTHING to help the situation. There was a car parked beside our home for days and, after we shoveled out the two parking spots in front of that car, the owner nicely got in her car, revved the motor and drove off without lifting a finger to help. So I was back out there again this morning to get that cleared. We are talking two feet of snow here! It seems nowadays it is every man for himself! Most homeowners here won't even shovel the sidewalk beside their homes.
    Very kind of you both to shovel.

People are now so self absorbed and feel entitled which drives me bonkers. People don't respect others they way they should and certainly don't appreciate what sacrifices others make on their behalf, they just expect something like the shoveling to be done.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    A friend dropped off their Christmas presents for our family. They bought a large good quality sled that will fit our 3 young children. We'll open the wrapped presents when we return from Christmas visiting.

Picked our son up from Pre-K and I found a lap dog wandering around by itself. I warned it up in our van while I called the number on the tag and that place gave me the owner's name and cell number. Their sons forgot the gate open and the dad didn't realize when he let the dog out to go pee. It's -35 with the wind chill. We drove across town for my son's 1pm haircut. While waiting, we took the stroller across the street to Salvation Army. I entered their free 12 days of Christmas draw, free with any purchase and a different basket each day. Paid $2 for a metal water bottle, a pre-K teacher activity book, and a different learning book. Our son loves books that ask him to find stuff, etc. I'm hoping to go to the library at 6pm to their free wrapping event. I'll take the kids small gifts and wrap them at the library. It is free and they provide the wrapping paper, tags, ribbons, etc. It should be fun, as long as Dh is home in time. Then I want to stop at No Frills to get bananas, Crispix (-$1 coup - $4 CO51).
    That sounds like fun a wrapping party per say and no worrying about someone walking in when wrapping gifts.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well I didn't have eggs so couldn't make pogos, was going to substitute eggs but then didn't have enough oil....sigh...so that will be a weekend meal, oh well, it takes quite a while to cook them so works better in the end and I will make a super big batch ome extras for the freezer for easy meals.

It's going down to -20 tonight, eeek...

I sent dh to SDM for some Simply OJ and use up some of my $2 HOney bunches of Oats Apple & Cinnamon which are on for 2 for $5. DH's offer was 20x wus $50. So after coupons the out of pocket was $20 and change and 10K points earned....yippee..

Wishing everyone a great evening , ds2 and I are watching the Survivor Finale, stay warm
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post

I made dh a collage of items to purchase at SDM on his way home, yes it's a cut out of the items to get with quantities and coupon match ups (haha), it's the best way for him to visually see what I am talking about as sometimes there are multiple items on various pages and sometimes a list just doesn't cut it. He's been warned not to get anything that is not on the list as we have enough to do a 95K redemption this week or next.
    Very smart idea. I cut out what I need as a reminder otherwise I would spend a fortune on unnecessary things.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Another snow day for the kids here today! DS and his friend were planning on it since the teacher at school told them it was 80% guaranteed! lol The roads were pretty empty on my drive to work! It was really bad then (no visibility) but is just light snow now. Glad I'm not that far.
    Busy day at work today and then I am off tomorrow and heading out of town for our hotel night away No snow will stop us )
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Today I found a recipe for diy's enzyme cleaner. You can use cold water to wash clothes. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
    - Container
    - 5 tbsp brown sugar
    - 1 packet dry active yeast
    - Rinds of 3 oranges
    - 1L tap water

Procedure:
    1. Combine all ingredients, then incubate for two weeks in a dark, cool place. Do not cover your container tightly—it could explode.
    2. After two weeks, filter out particulates using a kitchen funnel and coffee filter paper (the coarser, the better).
    3. Use enzymes immediately, or refrigerate for up to a month.
    Last edited by juliemadden; Thu, Dec 15th, 2016 at 09:59 AM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Morning everyone,

Supper tonight is Italian sausages, easy peasy.

I may do some baking today as my mom got me some Pecans from Costco.
    @thriftygranny would you mind sharing your turtles recipe if it's not too much trouble

Laundry is all washed and hanging to dry.

I'm going to send dh to Loblaws for Christie crackers as I have a pc offer spend $20 get 10K back in points and I saw posted somewhere the crackers are $1.33, I need to check if they have a limit and price of over limit.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Here you go Nancy, these do take some time and I have a couple of hints, been making this recipe since the 80's!! Making the caramel takes about 25 minutes, a candy thermometer is crucial!! I chill my caramel turtle mixture before dipping in the chocolate, it makes the chocolate dry faster. i do not use the wax when melting my chocolate, I usually just melt chocolate bars like a lindt bar or jersey milk bar, we prefer the milk chocolate over the dark baking squares, milk chocolate chips work well too. Be careful when melting the chocolate so it doesn't seize, I use a double boiler with really hot water in it and put it on minimum on the stove, it is a slow melt but worth the wait not to have it seize and ruin the chocolate!!. I usually cover the pans once dipped and put them out on the porch to speed up the setting of the chocolate!! good luck and it is always more fun to get some help with the dipping!!
    http://www.chasingtomatoes.ca/2009/0...e-turtles.html

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

After I pick our son up from Pre-K we are going to mix up a batch of sugar cookies using last year's recipe, which includes a package of cream cheese and no eggs. While it is chilling we will eat lunch. The cooking making will commence early this afternoon, no decorations needed. This is a rare recipe that I will let me kids eat raw. When the babies insist on joining the action, I plan on putting them in their highchairs with their own dough. It will be messy and fun and I plan on taking pictures. I'll have to figure out the best way to freeze them without losing moisture or messing with the flavour. I think most frozen baked goods never taste as good as fresh. Any suggestions?
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well popped over to dollarama-for a few items
    -donated 3 toys to my dentist office(2 dolls and a stuffed animal-one baby doll my mom crochted the outfit it had on )she is taking it all to Martha house after dec20
    -just made some walnut ice box cookies -then my do more wrapping this afternoon (man its cold outside)
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Will be helping DD get organized and packed up tonight after school-her best friend flies in late tonight from Victora and then they have an early flight in the morning to visit the friends family near NYC for the holidays. I am sure they will have a blast and hopefully the weather co-operates tomorrow and on the way home. The idea of going to the airport twice in 8 hrs is more appealing to me than the idea of spending $200 to stay at the airport hotel for 7 hrs! We got a request for Marmite from the British Dad as he can't find it there and a particular brand of soya sauce for the llittle sister adopted from China-so we were happy to send that along. It will be a much quieter Xmas for us but we do have some company on and off over the holidays so I think it will be just fine-we are sending DD's stocking with her as we understand Santa will be paying a visit down there!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I made more ginger crinkles today.....I made some two weeks ago but apparently they were found in the freezer and there was an empty container on the counter this morning!! Made ganache for a cake and will freeze for later icing. made whipped shortbread for my oldest and coconut macaroons for my second oldest.My baking is done and done!!
    I plan on pre making as much of Christmas dinner as possible, turnips are boiled and mashed and in the freezer, will do the sweet potato casserole on the weekend and I have a great spinach and artichoke dip that freezes very well!! I think it is all coming together!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yum TG-did I mention I would be there? It sounds wonderful--a lovely feast to enjoy with your family!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information