User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Don't discriminate against my bags !

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is there an untold rule where cashiers don't have to bag groceries if the bag isn't a store bag??

So I placed my reusable bag near the bag area by the cashier (I even put the strings on the hooks), and the cashier still kept placing my items beside the bag.... For a second I thought, ok...maybe I will give her a few seconds to realize that my bags are in her face and are ready to be filled. So I placed the items she placed beside my bag inside my lonely and empty reusable bag that was conveniently placed on the metal bag hooks... and she still kept putting items BESIDE my bag.

I told her, do you mind placing the items in my bag ?? She gave me an annoyed look and said ok. Then she started placing the items in my bag. But I could tell that she was annoyed and of course she gave me my receipt without saying anything. I told her "thank you, have a good day".

There have been a few cashiers that have actively taken my bags and have filled them without having to ask them to do this for me... but the majority of them seem to love placing the items on the table, despite seeing my bags and seeing that they have been placed on the bag hooks.

If this is a timing issue, then ok..scan everything quickly so you meet your targets but then you should really help the customer bag stuff instead of waiting for them to bag everything and pay.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

The only place around here that don't bag items for me is Maxi. If I pay extra for my groceries, I expect the store to bag for me with my reusable bags. If I were you, go back and buy again. If they insist on not bagging, just stand there and don't pay. See how long this takes and just wait until there is a long line after you. Cashier can't take another customer until your items are clear and bagged, and you are out of the way. Let the waiting games begin.
    sampler, barbis9, Poirot and 5 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My guess....
    • some customers may have certain ways of loading items into their bags. Having them placed next to your bags means you can load the bags in your preference. Does your bags already have fragile things in there? The cashier may be trying to avoid breakage issues.
    • speed is mentioned, especially if there is a long line waiting behind
    • hygiene.... the cashier won't know how clean your bags are in touching them. And then touching the next customer's purchases.

I have a slightly different problem. When I go to Superstore, I have those green bins that I pre-purchased. I no longer get/pay for plastic bags. My issue is the cashier often puts my purchases on the far belt that I can't reach and the customer before me has the cashier exit blocked with their buggy as they SLOWLY load their stuff.

Today.....
    • I put my buggy BEHIND me when I enter the cashier lane. This allows me to grab my stuff right after it's scanned.
    • I put the heavy stuff first and the light stuff at the back. I try to separate the hot and frozen stuff after the scanning.
    • once scanned, I have the items loaded directly to my bin. This prevents her from putting my stuff onto the far belt.
    • By the time I pay..... My green bins are loaded back into my buggy and I'm ready to leave. Sometimes I'm still waiting for the customer ahead of me to finish loading.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The only place that avidly desires to pack my reusable bags here is Zehrs. I walk the 1.5km there though, so 99% of the time I do the self-checkout so I can load and balance my own bags for the walk.

Everywhere else, everywhere, wants nothing to do with my bags. The best I can do is get the stuff back from the cashier and stick it in the cart and load my bags after-the fact. Well, if I do Food Basics or Freshco I can load my own bags firsthand.

I have been using only resusable bags for 10 years and I can say there is still a bias against them. 10 years ago, I was regularly frisked like a criminal because I brought them in store. Now...the stores just ignore the fact that I have them. I consider that a step forward (sadly).

Today I went to Walmart and there were free cart and free bags! lol I have so few plastic bags in my home that each one is a treasure, because often I need one to send someone off home with something...today I made $.20 in bags FREE Yeee Haw!
    sampler, Tweets77, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    The only place around here that don't bag items for me is Maxi. If I pay extra for my groceries, I expect the store to bag for me with my reusable bags. If I were you, go back and buy again. If they insist on not bagging, just stand there and don't pay. See how long this takes and just wait until there is a long line after you. Cashier can't take another customer until your items are clear and bagged, and you are out of the way. Let the waiting games begin.
    Sorry but this is ridiculous. It sounds good in theory to take a stand, but in real life it just makes you look like a big, irrational baby with a superiority complex. You'll end up looking very stupid doing this.

If your cashier doesn't bag your groceries with your reusable bags or there is a policy that a customer must bag their own when they bring in bags, speak to the manager and/or email corporate. Some places tell staff that they may not bag groceries in reusable bags for the customer for one (probably dumb) reason or another, likely due to a complaint by someone else at some point. This is not the cashier's fault.

Unless you have just one specific cashier who doesn't *want* to touch your bags, it is probably out of their control. And if that is the situation, speak to a manager.

Just, basically, speak to a manager in this situation.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I guess I shouldn't be making a comment on Christmas, but this happened to me at RCSS, the cashier asked if I needed help bagging my groceries, I asked her if they had recently switched to having people bag their own groceries, she said no, I said then I would like you to do it. I felt a bit awkward being asked, I don't mind when I go to no frills or stores I know I have to bag, but for stores that normally do it, I still expect that service!
    sampler, barbis9, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Honestly, I use the self serve checkout most often and bag myself anyway... but even if I use a staffed checkout (with a larger order) I still bag myself. I dont ask, I just start doing it and they let me.

Grocery baggers here (I find anyway) are poor at it. Seems they dont pay much attention to the items that go in what bags most of the time. With the exception of eggs, and maybe fresh meats, I find none of them care what items share what bags. I would never put cans or a carton of milk in the same bag as bread for example... but that's just me.

Granted, I'm also a bit OCD about it... I put all refrigerated items in the same bag(s) so that when I get home, they go next to the fridge for unpacking. If I have enough freezer items, they get their own bag(s)... I put all the dry good in other bags: usually using the same logic that those bags will be placed in their respective areas of the kitchen/pantry for unpacking.

Also, if I buy 5 packages of Knorr Sidekicks (for example) is it too much to ask that they all go in the same bag? instead, it seems he/she wants to spread them across my entire order so it's like a little surprise in each bag when I get home.

Of course, the bagger/cashier at the store has no clue how my house is arranged, nor my logic for packing, so I just prefer to do it myself.
    barbis9 and Purrceyz like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

As someone that usually shops at No Frills/Food Basics/Freshco, I'm used to bagging my own groceries and don't think anything of it. Maybe before they start ringing items through, instead of putting your bags there and expecting the cashier to do it, pass your bags over to the cashier and ask them to. Because the way you're talking, it does sound a bit condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    I have a slightly different problem. When I go to Superstore, I have those green bins that I pre-purchased. I no longer get/pay for plastic bags. My issue is the cashier often puts my purchases on the far belt that I can't reach and the customer before me has the cashier exit blocked with their buggy as they SLOWLY load their stuff.

Today.....
    • I put my buggy BEHIND me when I enter the cashier lane. This allows me to grab my stuff right after it's scanned.
    • I put the heavy stuff first and the light stuff at the back. I try to separate the hot and frozen stuff after the scanning.
    • once scanned, I have the items loaded directly to my bin. This prevents her from putting my stuff onto the far belt.
    • By the time I pay..... My green bins are loaded back into my buggy and I'm ready to leave. Sometimes I'm still waiting for the customer ahead of me to finish loading.
    That's what my mom always does, it's so incredibly quick to throw them in the crate and not have to deal with bags.
    Colsgirl, barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that if a store is set up like No Frills, or the like, with a conveyor at the end... then yes, of course, bag your own. But if there isn't, I'd expect the cashier to bag them because it's not always handy to pack your own. That's what those checkouts were built for.
    sampler, barbis9, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Depends on the store I guess, but like mentioned, it could be a hygiene rule. Personally I prefer to pack myself since they rarely pack well and squish light stuff
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last time we went grocery shopping (this store gives free plastic bags) a cashier started bagging with their plastic bags. We said no, we have our own bags (I hate plastic bags), and she literally quit bagging mid transaction and left us to do all the rest on our own.

Then the guy behind us rolls his eyes that we're taking too long to bag. I get that it's a hygiene thing. I wouldn't want to touch a customer's ratty, dirty bags that I don't know where they've been. But keep waiting, buddy or tell the cashier to stop standing there and assist
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Dec 25th, 2016 at 01:42 PM.
    sampler, barbis9, macw1960 and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    As someone that usually shops at No Frills/Food Basics/Freshco, I'm used to bagging my own groceries and don't think anything of it. Maybe before they start ringing items through, instead of putting your bags there and expecting the cashier to do it, pass your bags over to the cashier and ask them to. Because the way you're talking, it does sound a bit condescending.
    That's great that you don't mind bagging. I don't mind either when I am at No Frills because it's usually a few items that I buy when I am there. However, when I do big grocery shops at Walmart or Metro, I would like the assistance, especially since it is a service that they offer. I also prefer that they help me bag instead of watching me bag and having customers watch me bag and wait for me to leave. So in other words, I am holding up the line if they don't help me out. There is no excuse not to help the customer in this case.

Please reread what I wrote. I placed my bags on the bag hooks...I made it super easy for the cashier to place my items in my bags. My bag was exactly where the store plastic bags are. She maneuvered past my bag to place my items down on the table, which was taking more of her time in doing so. For me to just give my bags to the cashier and make them open each one up would take more of their time.

I think I make it pretty obvious that I want them to place the items in my bags when I am opening my bags and placing them on the bag hooks that are right beside them. I open up each one and place them on the hooks when each bag fills up. I do this while I watch the scanned prices to ensure that they scan correctly.

What I said could sound condescending if I used a condescending tone.

Believe it or not, there are actually rude cashiers because at the end of the day they are people too. But keep on assuming it was my fault ....there is always that one person who assumes the original poster is at fault.
    Last edited by sampler; Sun, Dec 25th, 2016 at 09:22 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

At the Superstore I automatically bag my own groceries, I don't assume that the cashier will do it for me.
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With Walmart, more and more of the stores are becoming self-bagging.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only place that consistently bags for me when I bring in re-usables is Safeway/Sobeys. RCSS never bags my groceries for me, regardless of whether I'm using the store's bags or not. Wal-mart will do it about half of the time without being asked. I don't mind bagging though; I can keep all my cold stuff together and nothing gets squished.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and dededi like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information