User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: 2017 Financial Resolutions (post your resolutions & updates) All welcome!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Hi all: My goals are fairly simple but I think simple things sometimes have the most profound effect.

1. I will get over my shyness about SCOPing because there are at least two stores I visit regularly -- yep, Walmart is one -- that are bad at mismatching shelf prices to cashier ones.
    2. I will keep a binder to record every cent that comes in and every one that goes out. In a separate column, I'll record coupon savings and 'loyalty' savings, like SDM.
    3. I will get back on a moderate and livable exercise program because I can't afford -- or I don't want to afford -- getting ill and onto medications. But I'm not going to make the bar too high. Just doable.
    4. I will cadge every Tim Horton's and Starbuck's GC I can because DH's vice is coffee, which he often gets on the road. (Thermos not always feasible.) I don't want him to give up this guilty pleasure so I'll figure out how to get it gratis.
    5. I will pursue what has become an avid interest in "depression cooking" and other means by which people coped in the Great Depression. I'm really enjoying the dive into this stuff...and I'll share it here.
    6. And yard sailing at the crack of dawn (or it feels that way) when the snow is finally gone.
    7. Otherwise...stay the course. Eat at home. Coupon. Buy gently-used goods. Network with my neighbors.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

If you are interested in budget cooking I just ran across this blog and I really enjoy it. She has an eat on 40 cents a day per person segment that is probably not doable for most because she is from the USA but I enjoy her posts and she has some great points for cutting down on food costs.
    http://www.theprudenthomemaker.com/c...40-cents-a-day

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks TG-very interesting!

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Happy New Year Everyone and all the very best to you and yours in 2017
    My Goals for 2017:

1. Look After My Health:
    Walk Everyday except Sunday
    Eat Oatmeal every morning except Sunday when I will make Brunch using a different Menu each week. These Menus will depend on the deals I get with coupons
    Take time for me and my family

2. Look After My Finances:
    Pay bills as soon as they come in
    Do the 52 week challenge to use at Christmas Time
    Start a Summer Fun Jar ( Great Idea )
    Add a little to my savings each month

3. Look After the House Plan :

4. Coupon Plan:

Will keep adding to this but.....a start
    Last edited by Scottishgal; Sun, Jan 1st, 2017 at 02:42 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Thank you, thriftygranny. The site was a good read and I'll be going back to it. I like her goals for the first month of the year http://www.theprudenthomemaker.com/b...th-of-the-year because they are very specific and doable. Part of the doable bit is that she is chunking the resolution into 12 parts so that she wants to lose 2 lbs this month rather than saying "40 lbs this year -- or bust!" The 2 lbs are not as intimidating.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Great goals everyone, all the best in 2017.
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

January will be a "no-spend" month so my points won't be building much but wanted to see where I start for the year.
    As of today:

502 Airmiles ($50 Foodland/Metro)
    550,000 PC Plus #1 ($550.00)
    13,375 PC Plus #2 (13.00)
    219,734 Shoppers Optimum (370.00)
    $21.25 CT $ on the card
    $20.00 Plus Paper CT $

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My most successful financial resolution has been "if you think you are poor, you save more." It sound quirky, but it works because if you get it into your head that you don't have any extra money to spend, you are not tempted to spend what you in fact do have.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    My most successful financial resolution has been "if you think you are poor, you save more." It sound quirky, but it works because if you get it into your head that you don't have any extra money to spend, you are not tempted to spend what you in fact do have.
    I live my life by this moto, when I was a young child 5 my parents went bankrupt, we had to move in with my grandmother on my mother's side. Anyways my parents and my 2 brothers lived on the rental side BUT I lived on my grandma's side. She raised her kids during the depression and a hard life, if she had $1 she would save .50 cents for another day, I was around her so much because I lived with her for 4 years and she inspired me as a child. My dh is more of a spender than I am. I like to budget on the grim side (not much wiggle room) so that we have to be accountable for every cent in the budget/bank. It's served us well BUT at times people think we're cheap BUT we don't do without anything at all, we just choose what is important to us AND we definitely don't keep up with the Jones.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I live my life by this moto, when I was a young child 5 my parents went bankrupt, we had to move in with my grandmother on my mother's side. Anyways my parents and my 2 brothers lived on the rental side BUT I lived on my grandma's side. She raised her kids during the depression and a hard life, if she had $1 she would save .50 cents for another day, I was around her so much because I lived with her for 4 years and she inspired me as a child. My dh is more of a spender than I am. I like to budget on the grim side (not much wiggle room) so that we have to be accountable for every cent in the budget/bank. It's served us well BUT at times people think we're cheap BUT we don't do without anything at all, we just choose what is important to us AND we definitely don't keep up with the Jones.
    Yeah the people that think we are "cheap" will be wishing they were smart like us when they are old and can't work and have no money trying to live on Government. I am cheap where I have to be and we live a good life. It's all about priorities

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Great thread. I really dropped the ball last year, faced some personal issues and I'm really not quite back to feeling like myself but I want to try to get things back on track.

Therefore my financial goals for this year:

1. Coupon and sale planning better. I easily get overwhelmed with coupons because they can get out of hand so fast. I am going to only take and collect what I need so organization won't be a nightmare, but I want to make a solid effort to get better at this again to save our family some money.
    2. Tighten the purse strings. I really stopped tracking our budget in the middle of last year. I have a hope of possible moving to a new house this year (probably a pipe dream, but one can dream nonetheless). Plus there are a bunch of other big changes coming for our family this year so I really want to start saving, paying down our debt and putting money away for things we will need.
    3. Purge the house and sell whatever we can. This money will all go towards debt repayment. I feel like I am drowning in my own house, so this will potentially be a win win situation if I can find the time/energy to achieve this.

I really hope that I can get back on track. Last year was rough and I'm having a hard time getting back to me. Being in control of these things and reaching goals helps me feel better so I'm really going to push for this this year.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

FBM-IMHO I would consider spending your points first-in case any of the programs devalue them- or perhaps if they plan to you will get some warning and can spend them quickly!

I agree with many of you-watching the day to day spending as closely as possible which hopefully leaves more to save or spend on bigger things you may want/need such as travel, house rennovations or whatever.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I enjoy reading everyones goals and don't normally post but wanted to say that ever since DH and I have been actively pursuing the vegan lifestyle I've noticed the drastic savings in our grocery bills. Almost half I'd say. Atleast 1/3 for sure in savings!

So my suggestion is to cut out meat more often in your weekly menu. Its really more easy then one would think. For breakfasts there are pancakes, cereal, smoothies, oatmeal, fruit, toast. For lunch you can make egg salad instead of deli meat. For dinners it is easier then you think - replace meat with beans, rice, pasta, tofu (once you learn to cook it then it tastes good) which is $1/lb. Where can you get meat for a dollar a pound?!

Anyways just some suggestions.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

my financial goal for 2017 is a few points
    -continue to use coupons and price match and do checkout51 and caddle -as I have couponed for 30 some odd years and I will try to beat last years coupon usage -oh and ebates too-oh and I never pay shipping online -I haven't yet -I buy the amount they want like the bay has 45.00 with my credit card or wait til free shipping days
    -buy used as I did today I got 3 ladies lovely tops for 11.97 at value village after 50% off with my saver card -still buy new but always on sale or some kind of discount
    -every month save a $100 or more for that rainy day
    -but still treat ourselves the odd time in life -if its eating out or something new in clothing

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by juliemadden View Post
    Simplify y entire life
    That's a super goal

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information