User Tag List

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We got a sous-vide machine for Christmas this year too. it is amazing! Chicken breasts and pork chops so far have been the best we have ever had, and it definitely makes cheap cuts of meat much nicer. For a treat, you will always get a perfectly cooked steak in it too. The problem for us is now finding deals on bags/rolls for our vacuum sealer. (we use it a lot more since it makes great sous-vide packs)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    I had my Sous-vide cooking lesson today and I am excited to start trying some recipes. the meat my sister cooked was like butter and it was a cheap bottom round cut. It will definitely take some trial and error but I love trying new recipes and methods. I feel blessed to have received the appliance!
    I spent 15.35 on 3 kg of frozen chicken breasts today and picked up a few camping food items for my son, he is taking an outdoor winter survival course next weekend and he needs a few things, I hope that is it for me for the next week, we are well stocked!
    Have a wonderful evening.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

took my older brother to freshco this morning -I spent 65.51 but saved 38.73 in specials 10.00 from coupons and 2.02 from price matching so 50.74 saved in total -nice way to start the year off,plus saved a 1.00 off my 30.00 half a tank fill up from caddle
    -we sat and talked I gave my brother some homemade xmas cookies as the Belgium cookies my mom use to make
    -supper half of a roast from Costco $12.00 and will give us 2 meals -is in the oven with potatoes and carrots -yummm comfort food on this cold day
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I think I am going to keep my grocery receipts and keep a detailed total. Then I can see the prices I paid over the year. I really haven't grocery shopped yet this year . And I don't see many deals in flyers for this weekend- Really just thinking Almond milk, cucumbers and mini carrots (.88 at GT)

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have a Food Saver and buy our bags from Uline much cheaper then buying from Food Saver or anyone selling the Food Saver Brand

Quote Originally Posted by teegansmom View Post
    We got a sous-vide machine for Christmas this year too. it is amazing! Chicken breasts and pork chops so far have been the best we have ever had, and it definitely makes cheap cuts of meat much nicer. For a treat, you will always get a perfectly cooked steak in it too. The problem for us is now finding deals on bags/rolls for our vacuum sealer. (we use it a lot more since it makes great sous-vide packs)
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Thanks all for your suggestions regarding support in the shower for my elderly in laws. I'll go to a Home Care support place for suggestions. I really don't want to drill into the tile. We were thinking of the suction type grip handle but our tile has a wee bit of texture so I would think the suction wouldn't hold.
    Cannot recall which store has them but there are tub handles that clamp onto a tub edge. I know Sears carries home support items but given their ordering difficulties, suggest instead you look at Home Hardware (can order items free by phone or instore, or do online order) or Shoppers Home Healthcare for options.
    A non-slip bath mat would be lovely but you'd have the same issue I don't want to have-finding a place to dry said mal after each and every bath/shower. Snuggle Bugz carries peel and stick petal type non slip bath stickers for kids-might be worth trying in your tub? I like the tub chair mention however if it folds too, bonus.
    http://homehardware.ca/en/cat/search...%26+Aids&Num=0
    There are about 3-4 clamp style grab bars on the two pages.

Shoppers Home Healthcare shows about two Aqua Sense bath tub handles that clamp on.
    http://www.shoppershomehealthcare.ca...-safety&page=3
    barbis9 and jasperandchar like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by teegansmom View Post
    I know you can get reusable ones for sous vide but I don't know how I feel about reusing bags that the meat were in. On the other hand most everything you sous vide is pasteurized so maybe it isn't a big deal.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Yes they love gravy BUT hate roats, I've tried cooking beef & pork so many different ways to Sunday and nada they just hate them.
    My brother is not keen on pork roast and neither am I. My parents were talking about what they want to eat on Saturday for Xmas. Think Dad is for pork roast; Mom is on team turkey. I don't want either but will see what is in-store that may appeal. @jasperandchar -I hear you about back to routine when you have the house to yourself. Check off each day left until that happy day! I could not wait for brother to return from his week away by the third day. I was getting very stressed being in the house with parents and as soon as library opened up after long weekend, I was there!

While looking at flyers today, I noticed that Fortinos and No Frills have switched to Thursday flyers! Competition. Are all Loblaws banners on Thursday start dates? My PC Plus offers expire today but happily one points offer lines up with a new special in today's flyer (Manitoba Harvest hemp seeds-1000pts for every $5 spent; item is on sale for $5.99-sweet) so I will get one. I will see if the Traditional Medicinals teas on sale include raspberry leaf, otherwise I have the berry zinger teas to enjoy.

The $60 I had allocated to food ($20; spent $18.50), hosiery ($20-spent $19.20 on new umbrella) and personal care ($20; spent $26.50) meant I spent $64.20 from my grocery money that Mom provided. So I have taken out $60 of my HST to put back into groceries. Will still pop into McDonald's for a treat because there has to be a reason to enjoy something for all the money watching. Yes, even adults need rewards!

No Frills has two specials I want ($1.88 50' foil and $1.88 Palmolive detergent) and Rexall's flyer shows Vim cleanser on sale. I won't hike out today but may try my luck tomorrow where both stores are in the same plaza. I know my walk may be in vain-if so, consolation prize will be the 98cents seaweed snacks at Sobeys Extra (Friday flyer) on my walk back.

I have purchased fabric and lining to make a dress for Mom-it's not going to start this week beyond washing and ironing. Too many little steps need to happen before I even make a cut. I could not pass up on a wool blend that was on sale-one fabric store is closing at month's end and it was busy when I went in on Monday. Also bought new scissors (not using the bent ones on good fabric) and some other notions. Made a trip yesterday for fusible knit interfacing. This effort will be my way of giving Mom something new to wear that will fit better than anything she can see in stores (so is the goal) and it's my way of thanking her for her support. I did find two home décor fabrics that appealed for tablecloths, so I made them up on Tuesday. Always wanted a yellow and white checked cloth for daily use!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Value Village started its 50% off cold weather accessories and new winter boots sale today. It runs until Jan.12. I may pop into the store to have a look. I did not see much in marked down gloves at Sears or Bentley this week so I would like to find something at VV.
    But I will definitely put Velcro squares on my current fleece gloves to keep them together-they've had two drop and leave adventures two months in a row and I'd like to nip that trend!
    barbis9 and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I've been eyeing the gummy bear thumbprint cookies, given that I bought a generous bag of the treats too. Need to buy the butter!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I think I am going to keep my grocery receipts and keep a detailed total. Then I can see the prices I paid over the year. I really haven't grocery shopped yet this year . And I don't see many deals in flyers for this weekend- Really just thinking Almond milk, cucumbers and mini carrots (.88 at GT)
    I am tracking mine too!!
    barbis9, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Food basics has some deals on starting today - stocked up on salad, blueberries, oatmeal, etc. things that I need. Unfortunately have dental expenses to start the year and may put in a gold crown versus porcelain. Dentist said there wasn't much of a price difference with the gold being more durable. Anyone from this forum have gold crowns?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I took baby girl to the doctor this morning because she has a rash on her chest and tummy that is continuing to spread. We are trying a new treatment. We'll know in a week if it is working or not. Our twins were up again last night (teething...I guess), and all three kids were up at 6am. I took the kids with me to run some errands. Our son has skating tonight. I am interviewing a potential daycare Dad this evening. I have a $5 pickup tomorrow afternoon.

I had our son help clean his bedroom, I vacuumed and took out a box of small clothes. I cleared off the dressers in the nursery and vacuumed. I vacuumed the hallway, then washed the outside of the washing machine and dryer. The few kitchen dishes are done, I was completely caught up before last night's supper. I'm just having a little rest before getting back at it again. I need to completely clear off the kitchen table, organize the craft supplies, sweep and wash the kitchen floor, vacuum the living room again, and clear off more of my desk. I'll get Dh to take out the garbage and recycling when he gets home from work. I'm tired and feel even more tired talking about it. I'll need to cook supper soon so that they can eat before skating class.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Jan 5th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hi ladies -my I have one code left from the toy offer(would love to trade it for a pampers diaper code) -I was able to get 2 cpns for the free 10.00 value toy -ordered my second one today thye still have the first offer too (free toy or game 10.00(50,000 available)did any of you ladies need just one ??? angela or sweet sparrow are you doing the toy offer ??

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    hi ladies -my I have one code left from the toy offer(would love to trade it for a pampers diaper code) -I was able to get 2 cpns for the free 10.00 value toy -ordered my second one today thye still have the first offer too (free toy or game 10.00(50,000 available)did any of you ladies need just one ??? angela or sweet sparrow are you doing the toy offer ??
    I ordered my 3 already. I have 2 codes available for trade. Thanks for checking.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Had to look up sous vide. I am now in the know.

I have a Doctor's appt. booked for tomorrow. I am actually feeling better though. I am telling myself that not being able to talk without pain and being on pain meds for 2 weeks does not constitute health and I am going. I have a fear of wasting the Doctor's valued time.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information