User Tag List

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Don't worry about wasting his time Granger, I think being sick for two plus weeks is good enough reason!!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    My brother is not keen on pork roast and neither am I. My parents were talking about what they want to eat on Saturday for Xmas. Think Dad is for pork roast; Mom is on team turkey. I don't want either but will see what is in-store that may appeal. @jasperandchar -I hear you about back to routine when you have the house to yourself. Check off each day left until that happy day! I could not wait for brother to return from his week away by the third day. I was getting very stressed being in the house with parents and as soon as library opened up after long weekend, I was there!

While looking at flyers today, I noticed that Fortinos and No Frills have switched to Thursday flyers! Competition. Are all Loblaws banners on Thursday start dates? My PC Plus offers expire today but happily one points offer lines up with a new special in today's flyer (Manitoba Harvest hemp seeds-1000pts for every $5 spent; item is on sale for $5.99-sweet) so I will get one. I will see if the Traditional Medicinals teas on sale include raspberry leaf, otherwise I have the berry zinger teas to enjoy.

The $60 I had allocated to food ($20; spent $18.50), hosiery ($20-spent $19.20 on new umbrella) and personal care ($20; spent $26.50) meant I spent $64.20 from my grocery money that Mom provided. So I have taken out $60 of my HST to put back into groceries. Will still pop into McDonald's for a treat because there has to be a reason to enjoy something for all the money watching. Yes, even adults need rewards!

No Frills has two specials I want ($1.88 50' foil and $1.88 Palmolive detergent) and Rexall's flyer shows Vim cleanser on sale. I won't hike out today but may try my luck tomorrow where both stores are in the same plaza. I know my walk may be in vain-if so, consolation prize will be the 98cents seaweed snacks at Sobeys Extra (Friday flyer) on my walk back.

I have purchased fabric and lining to make a dress for Mom-it's not going to start this week beyond washing and ironing. Too many little steps need to happen before I even make a cut. I could not pass up on a wool blend that was on sale-one fabric store is closing at month's end and it was busy when I went in on Monday. Also bought new scissors (not using the bent ones on good fabric) and some other notions. Made a trip yesterday for fusible knit interfacing. This effort will be my way of giving Mom something new to wear that will fit better than anything she can see in stores (so is the goal) and it's my way of thanking her for her support. I did find two home décor fabrics that appealed for tablecloths, so I made them up on Tuesday. Always wanted a yellow and white checked cloth for daily use!
    You're always so helpful to others AND I agree adults need a treat as well.

Sounds like your mom will have a lovely new piece of clothing made with love
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Had to look up sous vide. I am now in the know.

I have a Doctor's appt. booked for tomorrow. I am actually feeling better though. I am telling myself that not being able to talk without pain and being on pain meds for 2 weeks does not constitute health and I am going. I have a fear of wasting the Doctor's valued time.
    @Granger definitely keep your appointment, you can never waste a doctors time, you have to advocate for yourselves

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Evening everyone,

What a day, I went to my appointment then we drove to see the Nissan JUKE, dh looked like stuffed tuckey in it, his shoulders were rubbing and there was no room at all trunk wise or back seat leg room, so that was wrote off.

I then mentioned the Dodge Charger so we went back to the town where I had my appointment to check it out, I think it was love at First sight for dh and I will admit it's a sweet looking car and so spacious. So anyways, we signed the paperwork and they will call once it's ready for pickup. So we are paying cash....phew....feels great but we officially need to rebuild savings accounts to replenish the money borrowed from them to buy the car.

Wishing everyone a great evening.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Congrats on the new car!!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes congrats jasper on the new car
    -well sold my puzzles all 27 of them for 16.00-i lowered the price down from 20.00 about a week ago -so here starts 2017 kijiji sales -and the woman who bought them was so happy -I told her its better than watching t.v sometimes and she said "I don't own a t.v" she was about 35-37 years old too -wow you don't hear of that too often
    -supper was the lovely roast
    -gee my daughter called when I was preparing supper and my new cordless phones have speakerphone -such a nice feature -I used it plus she was making pizza dough and she had her speakerphone on too

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Fortinos did have the raspberry leaf tea in the Traditional Medicinals line! Happy me (hoping for some joint relief because it's been acting up during this fine cold snap). Bought the butter for the cookie recipe and a few other things.

Popped into Dollar Tree for mac & cheese boxes and caramels and had a look at Value Village's cold weather items-I almost went for a pair of tights but having purchased a brown pair for Mom, I did not want one more in that colour. Noticed the sign by entrance-Monday Jan. 9 is the 50% off clothing, accessories and shoes day! Club Cardholders, expect an e-mail to tell you that Sunday is the day to get your 50% off one day early. I looked through various clothing categories for possibilities-sweaters both pullover and cardigan, long sleeve tops/blouses, coats, dresses (for the fabric) and men's shirts. Noticed 5 short sleeve shirts, all have silk tags and look like summer casual tops in men's medium-too small to alter but 4 of them have same brand label and a couple of them are textured (like the orange shirt I bought in the spring at a rummage sale)-I am seriously debating a Sunday trip to try one of them on with plan to wear it with sweaters during winter. I looked at the men's dress shirts-did not see a pattern or colour worthy of my alteration efforts. Perhaps more stock will be on the racks by Sunday and I'll find something.
    Pants-the navy ones look worn. Saw an old brand of wool pants in good condition but in black-not keen to have a 2nd pair. Might have to check out Talize when the weather warms up after Monday.

McDonald's is a very cozy/smaller location-liked the sloped bolster seat to lean on while waiting for my order to be made. Flooring has a curved plank floor in the dining areas looking like it's from a boat, plus large floor tiles near the entrance/order area. Love the long button tufted booth seat and the red wooden chairs. Angus meal was worth the time-was surprised that I managed to drink the entire medium size beverage. I'm impressed by the youth staff working at the location too. I had not realized all the combination possibilities for building an Angus burger as the kiosk screen showed. One day I'll try the kiosk to test the options.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I found out on Facebook today that two local businesses are closing. Ricki's in our mall will likely have a good sale before closing at the end of the month. Staples will close suddenly this Saturday. I bought my brand new computer tower and had them try to copy over from my old sYates and instal Windows on it. I bought my new computer system lass than a year ago.

Estevan had snowiest December in 200 years, I guess the 3 blizzards might have contributed tho that record, 52cm or 20.5" haha. That's when you exclude any showering piles, etc. There is so much snow that our son is sometimes concerned that there is too much snow when he tried to play in our yard. We had a very wet fall, so there is some concern about potential flooding if the snow melts too quickly in the spring.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Jan 6th, 2017 at 03:22 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well off I fly today for a vacation with my sis-I am sure we will have a great time. Back Feb 1. Have a good month all. LB

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Well off I fly today for a vacation with my sis-I am sure we will have a great time. Back Feb 1. Have a good month all. LB
    Enjoy! I have been looking online and trying to plan something too

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Congrats on the new car jasperandchar

Have a wonderful time Lizzie
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!!! Nice clear drive to work today. With Sunshine!!

Last night we went with our hockey team to see a hockey game. Then home to catch a bit of the last period and so on of the JR game. Good game!

Weekend plans- Hope painting is still on tomorrow. Hoping Rona is open this evening so we can pick colour and get paint tinted. Then home to prep room. Was a busier week then I thought.
    Laundry- Lots to do.
    Prep/plan meals for the week.
    DS has 2 hockey games as well.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Laundry seems to be a never ending chore for many Mum's-particularly those with kids. I must say I am looking forward to no grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning or laundry for the rest of the month-unless I choose to wash my own on the ship-which I might as it will be cheaper- I feel the need to be frugal somewhere!

I realize I am fortunate to have the health, time and $ to travel so will appreciate it while it lasts. Anyway, I best do my third and final packing check, get ready and head to the airport. I grocery shopped for the family earlier this week( and circled good deals in the flyers that came yesterday as DH might not recognize a good price if he fell over it-lol) and there are leftovers in the fridge for today muffins, black bean soup and cabbage roll casserole-of course they are perfectly capable of looking after themselves but I have been in a cooking mood this last couple of days.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Congrats on the new car!!
    Thank you, it's used but super low mileage and well within our set budget so we are excited. Feels like we are getting back on track, it takes a while sometimes.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    yes congrats jasper on the new car
    -well sold my puzzles all 27 of them for 16.00-i lowered the price down from 20.00 about a week ago -so here starts 2017 kijiji sales -and the woman who bought them was so happy -I told her its better than watching t.v sometimes and she said "I don't own a t.v" she was about 35-37 years old too -wow you don't hear of that too often
    -supper was the lovely roast
    -gee my daughter called when I was preparing supper and my new cordless phones have speakerphone -such a nice feature -I used it plus she was making pizza dough and she had her speakerphone on too
    Great start to kijiji sales this year, my mom loves the speaker function on her phone, enjoy

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information