User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: I am unsure if this was a phone scam or a valid Enbridge offer?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just answered a phone call, the gal said it was Enbridge and I qualified for a " rebate " on my furnace and A/C .
    ( I asked 2 times , " is this actually Enbridge " and NOT some other Company pretending to represent them ? )
    She assured me it was Enbridge, verified my address ( big whoop , that means nothing ) and said they had to set up an appointment to check the serial number on my furnace and A/C to see what amount of rebate I qualified for.....my Spidey senses went off, but I kept listening.

I then asked why was I getting a rebate at all, she said it had to do with the length of time we have been with them, something about not changing the service for 8 yrs?? That seemed odd also, but I let her continue.

We set a date for them to come by, I then asked " am I required to sign any paperwork at all, or a contract when this person comes by " ? She said I did not.
    Then I asked , " so, if I phone Enbridge right now after I hang up and ask them about this supposed rebate offer that you are offering me they will confirm it is legit and not some sales tactic or scam "? She said yes, call them, it is a real offer.

So I phoned the second I hung up and ........bwahahaha!!! The office taking calls literally just closed at 6:00 p.m. and it was 6:02

Guess I'll be calling in the a.m. first thing.

Has anyone here gotten such an offer from Enbridge?? Please post and let me know, OR if you have heard something awful about it.

I NEVER ever talk to anyone coming to my door with a clip board or a laminated name tag claiming they need to see my gas bill. I know they are scams.
    But, this one I have never heard about.

thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Jan 23rd, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 3 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While it could be completely legit, it just seems ODD.

Seems they'd jsut ask you to retrieve the serial # off your unit and report back to them.

And really, what difference does it make? If the rebate is for being a loyal customer, isnt that enough?

It does seem off to me... so your cautionary 'senses' are likely well tuned. BUt I'd be interested to hear how it pans out...

I have a similar story about a cold call that I felt queasy about:

---

Back when there was still Future Shop, I had a FS store credit card.

A few years after I obtained the card, I got an odd cold-call from HSBC (who was now managing FS credit cards) wanting to "confirm my customer information".

They had my name, address, date of birth etc... and they were calling to make sure *I* was giving them information that matched what they had on file.
    He read my address aloud to me, and I confirmed that was my address...
    He (foolishly) read my phone # out to me to confirm, to which I said "I answered it when you called it, didnt I?"

Then he ASKED me my birthdate... and I said "I refuse to answer that. If you tell me what it is, I'll confirm it, but I'm not going to volunteer that information."
    He skipped the question and went right to my Social Insurance Number... he asked me to tell him what it was. To which I said...

ME: "Whoa. Stop right there. You claim to be from a bank... yet the BANKS are who preach to customers REPEATEDLY to NEVER give that information out over the phone when called out of the blue. I have absolutely NO IDEA that you are who you say you are. I have no confirmation that you are actually someone calling from the bank. Furthermore, I can tell you this: Any information I provided at the time I applied for the card is still valid. If you truly are who you say you are, then you already have that info, and it has not changed. My address has not changed... my birthday has not changed... and while I'm convinced that I did not provide my SIN on my credit application, even if I did, it didnt change. I'm not providing you with any personal information until I can solidly confirm YOUR identity first, and why it is that you now require that information."
    HIM: "well I'm (so and so) from HSBC..."
    ME: "yea, you told me that... but that's not proof to me. You'll have to do better"
    HIM" "well, I'm not sure how I can do that."
    ME: "then this conversation is over."

In any case... after the call I cross-referenced the caller ID # displayed on my phone and later confirmed that he WAS calling from the local branch of the HSBC, but I had no confirmation of that when I answered the phone. And I had absolutely NO IDEA why he was calling requesting all that data. Probably wanted to run a credit check on me to see if qualified for a loan or some such, I have no idea. But I never felt good about it and to this day won't deal with HSBC.

I called and closed my FS Credit card a few days after stewing on it for a bit. I explained to them why.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Jan 24th, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

barbis9, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    While it could be completely legit, it just seems ODD.

Seems they'd jsut ask you to retrieve the serial # off your unit and report back to them.

And really, what difference does it make? If the rebate is for being a loyal customer, isnt that enough?

It does seem off to me... so your cautionary 'senses' are likely well tuned. BUt I'd be interested to hear how it pans out...

I have a similar story about a cold call that I felt queasy about:

---

Back when there was still Future Shop, I had a FS store credit card.

A few years after I obtained the card, I got an odd cold-call from HSBC (who was now managing FS credit cards) wanting to "confirm my customer information".

They had my name, address, date of birth etc... and they were calking to make sure *I* was giving them information that matched what they had on file.
    He ready my address aloud to me, and I confirmed that was my address...
    He (foolishly) read my phone # out to me to confirm, to which I said "I answered it when you called it, didnt I?"

Then he ASKED me my birthdate... and I said "I refuse to answer that. If you tell me what it is, I'll confirm it, but I'm not going to volunteer that information."
    He skipped the question and went right to my Social Insurance Number... he asked me to tell him what it was. To which I said...

ME: "Whoa. Stop right there. You claim to be from a bank... yet the BANKS are who preach to customers REPEATEDLY to NEVER give that information out over the phone when called out of the blue. I have absolutely NO IDEA that you are who you say you are. I have no confirmation that you are actually someone calling from the bank. Furthermore, I can tell you this: Any information I provided at the time I applied for the card is still valid. If you truly are who you say you are, then you already have that info, and it has not changed. My address has not changed... my birthday has not changed... and while I'm convinced that I did not provide my SIN on my credit application, even if I did, it didnt change. I'm not providing you with any personal information until I can solidly confirm YOUR identity first, and why it is that you now require that information."
    HIM: "well I'm (so and so) from HSBC..."
    ME: "yea, you told me that... but that's not proof to me. You'll have to do better"
    HIM" "well, I'm not sure how I can do that."
    ME: "then this conversation is over."

In any case... after the call I cross-referenced the caller ID # displayed on my phone and later confirmed that he WAS calling from the local branch of the HSBC, but I had no confirmation of that when I answered the phone. And I had absolutely NO IDEA why he was calling requesting all that data. Probably wanted to run a credit check on me to see if qualified for a loan or some such, I have no idea. But I never felt good about it and to this day won't deal with HSBC.

I called and closed my FS Credit card a few days after stewing on it for a bit. I explained to them why.
    There is a trick people use that allow them to display another caller ID even though its not theirs. Many scammers were able to use CRA phone # as caller id, so few people got scammed. Eventually CRA changed their 1 800 no.

EDIT: ya this one http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra-...ndia-1.3815530

I got the call too! Could not understand a sh#t so I told that guy who the F&*& hired you and hanged up.
    Last edited by Arvilish; Tue, Jan 24th, 2017 at 01:36 AM.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@walkonby , like you, I wouldn't let anyone in the house without more checking with the company..you're smart to be on alert. There's too much nonsense going on out there; be careful, Walks.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am just going to phone Enbridge first thing in the a.m. when their CS line is open and ask for some sort of verification that this offer exists and customers are being contacted by phone about it. If they say " no way, that ain't us, it is a scam " then whoever shows up here for that appt. will have to listen to my barking dogs until they leave, I won't even answer the door.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I am just going to phone Enbridge first thing in the a.m. when their CS line is open and ask for some sort of verification that this offer exists and customers are being contacted by phone about it. If they say " no way, that ain't us, it is a scam " then whoever shows up here for that appt. will have to listen to my barking dogs until they leave, I won't even answer the door.
    yes, it was good that your Spidey senses were tingling

ask them to e-mail or mail the offer, so you can look it over; btw I think it's Direct Energy and not Enbridge (they work together--> see your bill for details)
    don't let anyone into the house until you get verification that he phone call is legit
    if legit, don't sign up for the offer after they come to your home--> take time to look over everything, including the warranty on their service and any WARRANTY costs for annual inspections
    if legit, they will wait for you to decide--> if they can't wait, they can just jump in the lake

since you did not request this, it is not something that is urgent

keep us posted, pls
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    yes, it was good that your Spidey senses were tingling

ask them to e-mail or mail the offer, so you can look it over; btw I think it's Direct Energy and not Enbridge (they work together--> see your bill for details)
    don't let anyone into the house until you get verification that he phone call is legit
    if legit, don't sign up for the offer after they come to your home--> take time to look over everything, including the warranty on their service and any WARRANTY costs for annual inspections
    if legit, they will wait for you to decide--> if they can't wait, they can just jump in the lake

since you did not request this, it is not something that is urgent

keep us posted, pls
    This was NOT Direct Energy calling. They would have said that if they were. They confirmed they were Enbridge when I asked them if they were another company working FOR or on behalf of Enbridge. I am aware Enbridge does not service their own equipment, that is what D.E. does ( home service plans ).
    I got some good info this a.m. from CS rep at Enbridge, I will post details later.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I suspect they want you to change your equipment....sounds very odd to me. My understanding is you qualify for a rebate if you replace your furnace and a/c. Please let us know what you found out.
    ROMEO, Lynn49, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yup, that's what I do if anyone comes to the door uninvited. I let Jenny bark to her heart's content, leaving them shaking in their boots until they run away. Doxie's barks sound like really big dogs...sometimes that's just fine....
    Anxious to hear what you found out.
    barbis9, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

the loser never showed up!! ha ha ha

I sat in my vehicle in the driveway ( 1/2 hr before appt time ) pen and paper in hand to record the vehicle license plate, etc and also to head him off at the pass so he would not walk up the walkway and set the dogs off.

Figured I could question him in the driveway for more info, possibly see if they had a pamphlet or something describing this " rebate " . Anything with a Company name on it would have helped with the Ombudsman report that was sent this morning after I called Enbridge about this call.

They ( CS at Enbridge ) wholeheartedly agreed it was not them and were more than willing to take down any info I could offer to keep on file and compare with any other reports coming in from other customers getting these calls.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That's our Girl!!! Super-sleuth WALKS!!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Figured I could question him in the driveway for more info, possibly see if they had a pamphlet or something describing this " rebate " . Anything with a Company name on it would have helped with the Ombudsman report that was sent this morning after I called Enbridge about this call.

They ( CS at Enbridge ) wholeheartedly agreed it was not them and were more than willing to take down any info I could offer to keep on file and compare with any other reports coming in from other customers getting these calls.
    It's good to see them being pro-active about this kind of crap..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

the loser never showed up!! ha ha ha

I sat in my vehicle in the driveway ( 1/2 hr before appt time ) pen and paper in hand to record the vehicle license plate, etc and also to head him off at the pass so he would not walk up the walkway and set the dogs off.

WTG WOB!!!
    You caught the scamsters. They probably won't come back to your neighbourhood for a while. And you may have saved your neighbourhood from these scamsters.

What a Smart Canuck your are!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Impressed at your pro-activeness. I'm not sure I would have been that forward thinking. *handclap*
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information