User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Once again Bank Fees increasing March 1st 2017 Scotiabank

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Changed all my direct deposit info and officially closed my Scotiabank account. I made sure to tell them I was closing my account due their endless greed! I'm free and I feel great
    Ciel and lucy16076 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    For those of you using a credit union for financial services, do you make an effort to attend the annual meetings or send in your votes by proxy via mail? I ask because CUs require a membership to join a CU and your money is pooled with other members to provide loans and such in your community. So you are stakeholders in how the CU fares. Just curious if you all try to follow AGMs and participate in person or via proxy votes.

I am aware that Meridian does or did provide a shuttle service from some of their locations to their AGMs but there was a seat registration protocol.

If anyone banking at Scotiabank also happens to own bank shares too, get involved at the AGM to rally for Canadian call centres. Does SCENE rewards use the same call centres too?
    I didn't realize CU has a membership fee. Is it a one-time fee, or annual?
    Ciel likes this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Meridian and had to pay for a member share to make me part of the credit union. For them, it is a one time fee of $1.00 so you have a stake in the credit union. I was told once you leave (i.e close your accounts), you are given back the $1. But other credit unions may be different from Meridian
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ya mine was a one time fee of $5 and same thing once I leave I get my $5 back.

I was adding my bill payee's last night and I couldn't find BMO Investorline on their list, so I sent my CU an email last night asking if it was possible to have them added to the list. I got an email this morning from my CU saying yes we will have that added to our list in a few days... Wow talk about great service.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    As a credit union is member run, everyone pays a basic member share price. When you leave the CU, you apply to sell your share back to the CU.
    If you are familiar with Mountain Equipment Co-op, that retailer sells shares to customers (who want MEC member prices) and mails them AGM and other information and sends catalogues. When I wanted to give my $5 share back, I had to send my membership card to the Vancouver HQ for redemption. I got a cheque for $8.-- as my share had increased in value. Had to wait some weeks though.
    Make sure you read the member share rules on the CU site so you know how the share return/redemption process works.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

President's Choice Financial & Tangerine....two NO FEE banks (regular everyday banking). Banks to truly consider! I've got both, one for everyday stuff (PCF) & one for savings & investments. Tangerine has top rated portfolio's that are rebalanced yearly according to your risk level, without ever having to lift a finger. The funds are very much equity & follow the theory of the Canadian Couch Potato. (great stuff btw) All in all, PCF for every day banking with no fees & free checks, & Tangerine for long term growth & savings. Voila! Done! IMHO only of course.
    walkonby and dededi like this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information