User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: More groceries made in China

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You are overreacting.

You might not realized that China is a VERY large country. Three times the population of Europe and 40 times that of Canada. Problems happen more when you have large country. It's just normal belt-curve: every time you double a population, you get 10% more of good (Olympic golds) and bad stuff (poison food).

That one milk company was unfortunate, but why are you making it sound like the government is conspired to add poison to your food? In fact, they execute people who were responsible. Many Chinese still hates Japanese for the Raping of Nanking, once in a while some terrorists deliberately poison food that are exported to Japan. You don't have to worry about those.

How many times have we had food problems this year? I've lost count. China is 40 times larger. If you are completely fair, China's food supply is far safer.

I'm more concern with the jobs we've lost.

If you really care, buy only locals. If there are enough of you. They wouldn't export the jobs. It's a waste of time to write angry letters to the company because they know you are unwilling to pay more for their American workers.
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.cityline.ca/video/plantin...-for-the-fall/

Great video on growing your own garlic from Cityline. I may give it a try. You have to plant it in the fall.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilTofu View Post
    That one milk company was unfortunate, but why are you making it sound like the government is conspired to add poison to your food? In fact, they execute people who were responsible. Many Chinese still hates Japanese for the Raping of Nanking, once in a while some terrorists deliberately poison food that are exported to Japan. You don't have to worry about those.
    Several years ago, there was a huge story about BPA getting into Nestle's baby formula. Nestle knew it was there before, but now has all their suppliers sign forms that they are in compliance with their exclusion lists. They made sure the chemicals were no longer in the new batches, which is the same as what China did, but it's much easier to have a scapegoat to blame our fears on halfway around the world. People still eat Nestle chocolate, buy their baby formulae, etc., and more and more North American companies are changing the way we prepare food. I'm not saying that companies deliberately add certain chemicals to foods, but food packaging is changing greatly, and people are preparing and storing food in ways that are not safe. The FDA (US) and Health Canada do not check the package as it's not considered food or a food additive.

There are many things that I wouldn't buy, only because of the industry where I work and the information I have access to. If the people that make it wouldn't eat it, I try not to as well. I fret about the general public and how far companies are willing to go to cut costs in Canada and the US and it seems to be getting worse. However, I do also agree that certain people and groups overreact to the news. In the Nestle case, the levels were still at safe levels to be consumed by babies.

On wikipedia, Hong Kong (part of China) is listed as one of the countries with one of the highest life expectancies, even though there are high levels of pollution because of China's production levels. I feel only slightly better about living near a highway now. :S

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    http://www.cityline.ca/video/plantin...-for-the-fall/

Great video on growing your own garlic from Cityline. I may give it a try. You have to plant it in the fall.
    According to one of Frank Ferragine's books, spring planting of bulbs is also possible. However, fall planting is what my father usually did (he seems to have given up gardening after he harvested the garlic and last of tomatoes).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Interesting article about how imported "organic" from China is a lie:

http://www.naturalnews.com/055818_ta...bel_China.html

9 foods to avoid from China:

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/cont...oods-2010.html
    Last edited by barbis9; Sun, Oct 30th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

https://bringbackthebees.ca/Contest/Index

If you're concerned about the dwindling bee population and have a garden here is a link to get a wildflower mix attractive to bees free from Veseys and Cheerios.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Mon, Feb 27th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, GoJays and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I believe I'll plant some OSC flower seeds-used to have alyssum but it can spread very easily. The lavender flowers and cut stems I dropped around a structure two years ago never started any new plants so I need lavender seeds and two years! Or get a purchased plant from the grocery store ($4.99) and see how it does. Miss the Thai poppies Mom used to have until Dad ruined the one flowerbed without giving me a chance to rescue the cheery flowers. Have some forget me nots and Mom has some cone flowers. There is one last flowering plant with bluish flowers and woody stems that still has flowers in Oct and may into a mild Nov that bumblebees and regular bees hang around (last chance at nectar).

Re: groceries from China. Some frozen peas are from China-my father keeps buying them at Walmart (months in our freezer)but I won't cook them or eat them. Glad I reviewed the posts-I'm going to give up All Bran bars because I read the nutrition label and see only 2g of protein per 2 bars in a package (no wonder I can eat all 10 bars and still feel hungry). I can get more protein from 3 tbsp. of hemp seeds that are Canadian. Will drop most snack crackers and rely more on toasted sliced bread for croutons.

I buy Weetabix because I can add in frozen berries or tea or whatever I want for a quick cereal with milk or hot water (it's fast). Corn Flakes jumped the taste shark for me many years ago but I'm weak for original Mini Wheats-will work on remedying that soon (GrainShop is another Cdn cereal with enough sweetness to make me happy).

Local market vendors -some only sell one vegetable but many varieties of it. There's a potato vendor I once bought blue potatoes from. Need to visit again in the summer and play with fun potatoes in baked chips or casseroles. Ontario garlic can be found at garlic festivals but I am not sure if all markets have local garlic.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Mar 5th, 2017 at 06:48 PM.
    barbis9 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

@Ciel ..do you have farmer's markets or farm stalls near you? There's plenty round here so this year I'm planning to try and get as much as possible from local growers ..Buy local, think global!
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yes, Ancaster has a seasonal farmer's market while downtown Hamilton has a year-round one indoors (three or four days per week but I hardly go to it). I intend to try the Dundas market-some vendors do most of the local markets but there is variation in vendors each season too. I know there is a local vendor of honey and I stop for baked treats and empanadas or bean dip too.

Since realizing that one vendor that sold bison has not been to our market for at least two years and I don't drive (there's a year round vendor in the Niagara Region), I was surprised to see Sobeys mention bison in a store flyer this year. So I intend to try some bison in a recipe this year. I've read and heard good things about bison meat.
    barbis9 and Darth Penguin like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I buy raw honey from a lady in Oakville who is a member of the Ontario Bee Keepers association and this honey is to die for! It tastes so much better than what is sold in stores.

I also plan on visiting the farmers market at Burlington Mall that starts in late spring.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Yes, Ancaster has a seasonal farmer's market while downtown Hamilton has a year-round one indoors (three or four days per week but I hardly go to it). I intend to try the Dundas market-some vendors do most of the local markets but there is variation in vendors each season too. I know there is a local vendor of honey and I stop for baked treats and empanadas or bean dip too.

Since realizing that one vendor that sold bison has not been to our market for at least two years and I don't drive (there's a year round vendor in the Niagara Region), I was surprised to see Sobeys mention bison in a store flyer this year. So I intend to try some bison in a recipe this year. I've read and heard good things about bison meat.
    I have never tried bison - what does it taste like?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I found it tasted rather like beef.

There's a bison farm I used to visit when the brood were younger as part of the tastes of Quebec Sunday when many farms are open to visitors and generally have tours and tastings.
    barbis9 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sobeys store carries stewing cubes or extra lean ground bison for $9.99 and bison steaks for $10.99-at the Ancaster store, they are found just past the lamb section and on the lower shelves below the veal cuts in the fresh meats section.
    A former food editor of the Toronto Star wrote Buffalo Girl Cooks cookbook about recipes that use bison. Check your library or bookstore for a copy.

If I had not already planned my AM redemption shop for yesterday, I would have picked up a package of bison. Have to get it another time.
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have family members who work in China (diplomats) and they told me they only buy produces and groceries imported from USA or EU, even if price is 10-20 times higher than local ones.
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chinese people are really good at imitating products, I guess they are more onto the quantity of the products that they will be able to make and sell on the market rather than the quality of it. No offense to any Chinese blooded members in this community but that is how I really see it.
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information