User Tag List

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: March 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

I had my annual check-up this am, dh drove me. He went to chiropractor early, I ran into independent grocers but they were out of $1.44lbs ribs. DH & I both got a rain cheque . I got a pc Ziploc bags they are quite a bit more expensive than glad and Ziploc but they are made of really thick plastic and well worth the price difference. I have rhubarb and pears from 2 summers ago and they have no frost/freezer burns at all. The beans that the inlaws gave me this summer were put in Ziploc bags as I didn't have the pc ones and boy can you tell the difference, there is a thick layer of frost .

Ds2 has decided to stay another night at my parents which I find surprising but sounds like they are having a great time which is awesome.

We went to Home Depot to get a few painting supplies and radio shack for batteries for the cordless phones but wow I decided to purchase new phones as the batteries are $26.99 and I needed 2 so we paid $5 extra and got a 2 set of new phones.

Supper tonight is a whole chicken

Wishing everyone a great day.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes jasper the batteries are quite costly for cordless phones -hense why I hinted I needed new ones for xmas -I think my son bought mine from amazon and paid 44.00 for the 2
    --yippee the bay has free shipping today no minium -so I got a set of 4 tea towels and got 15% off when I used my hbc credit card -so 11.01 for 4 nice tea towels are a good price plus ebates may take a tiny bit more off -I know you can get them at the dollar store but they are not great quality sand I hate the new microfiber tea towels with a passion
    -supper tonight leftover chicken & rice for me -breakfast for hubby scrambled eggs ,peameal bacon etc
    -so nice I am only babysitting 2 times this week a nice little break
    barbis9, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    barbS: I loved a man called ove, read it last summer before the hype and was just so touched by it. I found breathe becomes air to be ok, but most likely because I read it after the hype so expected amazing things, now that I am on the train every day I plan to return to read and keep my phone away.
    The storm seems delayed but we are getting a good dose of winter now. I won't be sad to not have to drive Tuesday and will enjoy my most likely delayed go train ride.
    I am not that thrilled with breath becomes air as I am getting to the end of it. Looking forward to the movie version of a man named Ove.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Got a deal on Arm and Hammer laundry pods but missed Sample source which is a drag. Great day to go to Costco - maybe 50 cars in the parking lot, 2 cashiers on and the store was empty with only one food sample. Had to return Balderson cheddar cheese individual packs of 20 - second time I found mold inside the packets, will stick to regular cheese for a while.
    Last edited by barbis9; Tue, Mar 14th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Niagara and Haldimand still had winter storm warnings today-overnight, the snow was not too bad (shovelled at 9:30pm for night and then after 7:00am today-also around house for inevitable meltoff in three days' time). PEI and Quebec are seeing snow action today.
    @lizzie bargain -you are a brave person crossing at Windsor and taking the 401 hwy-that stretch is usually the one with the snow belt/weather issues when they visit Ontario. Glad you returned to Toronto safely. @Frugalbigmama -someone on Twitter posted two pics of yesterday: Maui in the morning (last day of her trip) and her Ontario street with snow in the evening. Think we could all use the same souvenir this month. Good time to get travel books and dream a little too! Itineraries...

Managed to pinch something in my back right shoulder and strain something-think that heavy green cart last night when I switched arms to pull one-handed did a number that is felt today. Ouch. Dad had bagged my pile of snapped branches so everything was collected this morning. Was able to get Mom to toss 3 old tops and 2 smaller items before I handed over the new blue top and the other one from the Jan. VV sale.

Tomorrow is return to stores (new Food & Drink magazine, Fortinos) and library (civilization) in the am. Getting closed in by being with the family all day. Have to finalize my redemption shopping list and find the cake with the big PC Plus points offer (the one I sampled on Sunday).

Weekend temperatures will be closer to 0C despite flurries in forecast. Looking forward to that break.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We were hit really hard in our area with snow. Drifts taller than me!

My daughter's tummy is upset. I won't be visiting Grandpa now. I have to be accessible to see if she is well enough to attend our planned events (i.e. day camp can't be child care if she is not well, it is day camp and I am her care deciding whether or not she is well enough to go to the event).

We will be cancelling our hour event at the library this afternoon. Probably camp tomorrow too.

On the bright side, I have been selling items to keep my spirits up and have $22 in pick-ups the next couple days.
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 5 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Great job with the sales Granger. I had a lady say for the last week that she was going to buy an $11 pick-up. I wasn't surprised when she officially changed her mind last night. I am SO looking forward to our garage sales.

I was up with baby boy 3 times last night before he started his day at 6am. Our other two children and Dh slept through the night.

Baby boy is intent on removing his pants and diaper multiple times a day. We don't think that he is ready for potty training, he just enjoys showing us what he can do. At night we put him in one of his few footless sleepers and do it up backwards so that he can't take it off and get to his diaper. Suggestions for day time? He can take off any type of pants, undoes snaps on buttoms, he reaches his arms inside overalls to undo his diaper. Dh doesn't like him in onsies, he wants our little one to learn to keep clothes/diaper on.

Today is supposed to get up to +3, first day of melting since last week's blizzard. I'm thinking about walking down with our twins in the sled when I go to pick our son up from Pre-K at lunch.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Mar 15th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Last night I braved the nasty weather to go to a chronic pain support meeting only to find out that the speaker cancelled 2 hours before. It ended being good as one of the doctors running this group turned it into a mini exercise/meditation session, so we all left relaxed. One of the members brought free info from the Mayo clinic and I borrowed the gentle yoga dvd that I will do at home. I chatted with some of the members so all in all it turn out to be a nice meeting.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have one lady that wants to sign her son up for 1/2 time in June and full-time childcare for July and August, he's a Grade 1 student. She is just coming off maternity for 3 months, then she'll be back on maternity leave in the fall.

Im board with food and cooking, so I got an idea from my dad. I pulled chili from the freezer. I'm going to cook pearl barley in a pot by itself, I only usually use it in soups. I'm soaking green lentils right now. I think I'll cook them in some type of broth, I've only cooked lentils a couple of times as an adult. Dh likes spices, but I have a sensitive stomach and taste buds.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I have one lady that wants to sign her son up for 1/2 time in June and full-time childcare for July and August, he's a Grade 1 student. She is just coming off maternity for 3 months, then she'll be back on maternity leave in the fall.
    That is good news.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@Angela273

Ugh. Last minute pick up cancellations...I vent in the I hate people on Kijiji thread...lol. Re: diaper removal. I would just do what is working for nighttime in the day too. No harm. I feel sometimes we want our kids to learn things they just aren't ready for (speaking to myself here!) My 1 yo girl has her fingers in her parts all the time right now. It really bothers me, but I know it is probably just a phase.

Both pick ups were honoured this morning and I have $10 in my pocket. One commenter has not replied to my PMs. I hope she doesn't, the lady below her comment had an ISO a month ago...I just didn't know so have to follow commenting order.

Daughter's tummy has subsided. I think the probiotic is helping. We crafted this morning. We made "shrinky dinks" for the first time (I had a kit). It was easy and fun. I will probably do it again.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Feels like I haven't posted in forever. I think I've finished tracking the expenses for 2016 and the taxes are done. I completely missed the Samplesource yesterday and even set an alarm for myself the next week. I was also scooped on an article I was writing so that was another harsh loss. I had been working on it for months.

@Frugalbigmama: Have you seen coupons anywhere besides RCSS? The only other places near me are FreshCo, No Frills, Fortinos, and Food Basics. Fortinos has usually been the best place for coupons, but I haven't seen the Barilla ones. I assume they're all gone from this area. The GTA is just too populated.

@lizzie bargain: The door is unlocked for your visit! Why don't you wait out the storm here?

@Granger: I'm glad to hear your grandparents are doing a little better. Prayers are with you still because life is always hectic with young ones. DD1 thinks she is a princess who can summon fairies like Sofia the First, from our last conversation.

Yesterday was a bad day for the budget. I missed eight boxes of free cereal too. DH spent over $45 on a half dead, moldy bouquet for Valentine's Day despite me telling him every year not to buy flowers. I thanked him for supporting a local business and left it at that. Perhaps I will have to send him ideas all through the year of flower deals or things I won't return. Sometimes, that man ..... Argh!

On the bright side, the tax return will be in tomorrow supposedly. It was quite a lot as the baby was born last year and I can claim the full five figures for DD1 as the childcare limit will be $16,000. In two years, I will be using the full amount.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger glad your daughter's feeling better

My ds2 who never likes to sleep over anywhere, desperately wants to come home but the roads are awful. Dh is napping, we may venture out to pick him up but time will tell. Worse case scenario we pick him up tomorrow afternoon. Poor guy sent me a facebook message saying "I don't want to spend my whole march break here", I felt like crying....geez. He's been there since Monday and never wants to go there so I guess he's really fed up.

I have 1 load in the washer I need to hang dry but I'm really bummed out, trying not to think about ds2 desperately wanting to come home.

It took dh 2.5 hours to snow blow the driveway and they are forecasting another 5-10 cms of snow. Ds1 is going to go and do his written/online drivers test tomorrow at the drive centre in the same town as my appointment.

I finally got an email from the bozo I'm dealing with at OMVIC, he said that my case has been escalated (not quite sure what that means) but atleast it's being worked on/reviewed and/or the dealership hopefully has been contacted.

Wishing everyone a great day.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Feels like I haven't posted in forever. I think I've finished tracking the expenses for 2016 and the taxes are done. I completely missed the Samplesource yesterday and even set an alarm for myself the next week. I was also scooped on an article I was writing so that was another harsh loss. I had been working on it for months.

@Frugalbigmama: Have you seen coupons anywhere besides RCSS? The only other places near me are FreshCo, No Frills, Fortinos, and Food Basics. Fortinos has usually been the best place for coupons, but I haven't seen the Barilla ones. I assume they're all gone from this area. The GTA is just too populated.

@lizzie bargain: The door is unlocked for your visit! Why don't you wait out the storm here?

@Granger: I'm glad to hear your grandparents are doing a little better. Prayers are with you still because life is always hectic with young ones. DD1 thinks she is a princess who can summon fairies like Sofia the First, from our last conversation.

Yesterday was a bad day for the budget. I missed eight boxes of free cereal too. DH spent over $45 on a half dead, moldy bouquet for Valentine's Day despite me telling him every year not to buy flowers. I thanked him for supporting a local business and left it at that. Perhaps I will have to send him ideas all through the year of flower deals or things I won't return. Sometimes, that man ..... Argh!

On the bright side, the tax return will be in tomorrow supposedly. It was quite a lot as the baby was born last year and I can claim the full five figures for DD1 as the childcare limit will be $16,000. In two years, I will be using the full amount.
    Usually RCSS is the only place I see coupons. Do you want some Barilla ones? Mine has lots! Pm me your address if you do and I can mail out ASAP!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did two store trips by foot and skipped civilization (the library) today. The winds are kicking up windrows on ploughed sidewalks in open areas so I'm glad I did not lug my cart today, just two totes.
    My PC Plus redemption did not get cake (sold out) so I bought a huge Napa cabbage that will keep me crunching for a week or more and chance find of 50% off Nordica cottage cheese in salted caramel (expires in two days) so that made me happy. I found Old Mill bread on the reduced bakery rack this morning to get a points bump to cross over the 20K level. Then redemption-happily found a gum pack on clearance to put my shopping over $19.96 (yes I needed 4 more cents to do the redemption) so 45 cents out of pocket (bill was $20.45) was the final outcome.
    Walked to LCBO for a cider and red wine and the magazine. Got a second copy for Mom's friend so I had the items rung in separately and will have Mom gift her friend the items (cider and magazine )soon.
    Scraped some snow off the driveway this afternoon as Ms Sunshine is melting some ice and snow here and there. May as well let her beams melt all they want today to reduce flooding on the weekend.
    Need to make another pot of lentil stew today so it's ready for tomorrow. Still have some leftover stew from last week that will be my supper.
    Seems that Mom and sibling are planning a 2 week trip in July overseas and sibling has another trip in mind stateside for October. I suggested that Mom consider doing May on her own to have 4 weeks with sister but that does not seem to move her. Aside from July being too hot for travel, the upside would be Mom possibly seeing her niece and DH in person for the first time in over 20 years (they tend to visit my aunt in the summer from another European country). My aunt sent Mom a sweater parcel that arrived today. Funny how that happened so quickly.

@jasperandchar -the only solace for DS2 is to suggest he shovel snow at his grandparents home if possible because physical distance and fresh air can help with being cooped indoors. Maybe they'll relax and read indoors and he can be outside for 45min then be revived to endure another night if necessary. Hope he's willing to bake when he gets back home to you!
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Mar 15th, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
    barbis9 and jasperandchar like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information