User Tag List

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: March 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Angela273 -your brave cat! Extra treats for that scramble. And to get injured too! That dog's owner needs some bylaw attention and the vet bill.

Did not know about the strike at Regina refinery. So Canada's two functioning refineries are in Regina and Calgary? Based on past summers of reasons why the price of gas gets so high is that one refinery is usually on shutdown for repairs or upgrading.

I have not read about the federal budget pros and cons. I'm sure tomorrow morning will need a strongly sweetened cup of tea for the reading.
    Based on the snippets I have heard so far I am going to need something stronger than a tea. I truly feel punished for being successful. My mom had me wHen she was 18 and that is a life lesson you never forget. I watched my parents wonder how they would pay the bills and knew I could not do that to myself. With 2 university degrees and a good job I feel like every chance possible I am paying more and getting no further ahead. In am currently considering quitting work as my kids get to university age so we would qualify for the free tuition in Ontario. I could retire early right.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    @Angela273 - it's too bad about PST being charged on kids' clothing, that's for sure.

I was thinking it would go up by two points, so at least it's only gone up to 6%. Considering the state of the economy, it only made sense for them to raise consumption taxes on things like junk food and restaurant meals.
    The minor good news is that personal income tax will go down a bit.

We aren't really affected by anything in the SK budget - the bummers all seems to be in the federal budget.
    We are being hit by both. I still have more reading to do regarding the impact of the federal budget.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Angela273 -your brave cat! Extra treats for that scramble. And to get injured too! That dog's owner needs some bylaw attention and the vet bill.

Did not know about the strike at Regina refinery. So Canada's two functioning refineries are in Regina and Calgary? Based on past summers of reasons why the price of gas gets so high is that one refinery is usually on shutdown for repairs or upgrading.

I have not read about the federal budget pros and cons. I'm sure tomorrow morning will need a strongly sweetened cup of tea for the reading.
    They aren't on strike yet, but the contract negotiations haven't been going well. The latest contract offer was rejected earlier this week. Dh has surgery in Regina next week, so I'd need to fill up my van either way.
    barbis9, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-ahhh a day off just dyed my hair as I couldn't the past few weeks due to my right arm
    -just chilling today may got to library to take books back and get milk at shoppers ,I will go out sat and run around in car as hubby has a one day cpr refresher course
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Here's the Talize sale banner link from the community paper:
    http://www.talize.com/events

Seems everything is half off on Monday. The sign I saw only referenced clothing.

Re: federal budget. Six months of transit passes qualify for 2017 transit NRTC. Then it's Canada Day for good on the transit NRTC. Don't let your Jan-June 2017 passes be forgotten.
    Read that three different caregiver credits are being rolled into one credit. Need to read more about it.
    What a surprise-cigarettes and alcohol will cost more and every April 1 (no fooling) starting next year, another peg up in the related taxes. I'll be surprised if deposits increase on cans and bottles. Then I'd have company on my long walks for containers! @lilo0003 You have that kitchen renovation to see through and then take stock of whether early retirement goes ahead. At least you can consider whether to work or not. It'll be harder for a new graduate or someone wanting your job to get it unless they know the workplace already and have a certain amount of experience.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Here's the Talize sale banner link from the community paper:
    http://www.talize.com/events

Seems everything is half off on Monday. The sign I saw only referenced clothing.

Re: federal budget. Six months of transit passes qualify for 2017 transit NRTC. Then it's Canada Day for good on the transit NRTC. Don't let your Jan-June 2017 passes be forgotten.
    Read that three different caregiver credits are being rolled into one credit. Need to read more about it.
    What a surprise-cigarettes and alcohol will cost more and every April 1 (no fooling) starting next year, another peg up in the related taxes. I'll be surprised if deposits increase on cans and bottles. Then I'd have company on my long walks for containers! @lilo0003 You have that kitchen renovation to see through and then take stock of whether early retirement goes ahead. At least you can consider whether to work or not. It'll be harder for a new graduate or someone wanting your job to get it unless they know the workplace already and have a certain amount of experience.
    lol, early retirement is not that early when I turn 50 this year. Thankfully we started RESPs for the boys when they were born, so really school is close to covered and they have to contribute as well. my job is rather niche so I need to 1st find someone that wants it and groom them, good thing I like what I do 90% of the time. I really don't see anything other than more taxes in this budget and lots of spending. imagine if we all spent money we don't have oh wait that's what they want us to do.
    the 18 month mat leave is interesting, lots of people think they can't afford 18 months off with the reduced rate, but when you see what childcare cost suddenly its not such a big deal. Even as a manager I think its a good thing, granted I work for a big company so we never hire a mat leave replacement. We just replace the person because we know by the time they come back someone else is going to be leaving on a mat leave or choosing not to come back and day care for 12-18 months is hard to find an expensive.
    I had a 6 month leave with my older and 12 with my younger and what a difference.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Good Morning!
    I agree Lilo, the budget was vague in my opinion, I still think they are going to revisit raising the 50% capital gains inclusion rate. We are holding our breath because we bought a property in the 80's that has appreciated significantly and we are at the stage of sell it or live there full time and go down to one property. I feel that we have invested in our education,saved for our children's educations, planned wisely, worked hard and sacrificed and are successful and we will pay the price for those that haven't. As business owners there are a few things in the budget that will affect us as well, yuck.
    I have been very busy, my daughter and I are in the midst of opening up an etsy shop selling vintage clothing, linens and wares. It has always been a passion for both of us and we decided a little side hustle business would be fun. It has been a lot of work finding items and curating them, photographing items and lots of washing and mending. I have taken several online classes for Internet sales and all business licences are in place so we hope to open our virtual shop by the end of the month. We are not expecting to quit our day jobs but hopefully it will be fun and lucrative!
    I made pickles of all things yesterday, I was in Superstore and they had stacks of pickling onions on clear out and then I spied cauliflower on the reduced rack so I made 10 jars of sweet and sour pickles minus the cucumbers, everyone always fights over the cauliflower and onions in sweet mixed pickles so I always omit them!! I will be happy in August and the house is roasting that it will be one less thing to can.
    We are off to LA and Palm springs soon, we haven't been away since Spain a few years ago and it is a company function so the trip is paid for except our Hotel for our extra week. The Blue Jays will be playing in Anaheim while we are there so we are going to three games which has been a dream of mine since I was I can remember. I am very excited!!
    It will be a sad day tomorrow, we have to put down our 14 year old lab, she is failing fast, I had her at the vet last week and we walked there with no problems and now she can barely go outside to relieve herself. They found a mass in her stomach and thought it was a tumor on her spleen which is common. She has been the best dog, so gentle and loving, she has never had table food but tonight she is going to have a venison steak and whatever else she wants, it will be tough to get over her loss.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

thriftygranny -sorry about your dog and nice venture you and daughter are doing
    -just saved 4.00 from turning my petro points over to caa (off my membership)
    -ordered 2 articles of clothing from gap for the grandkids as its free shipping and 40% off
    -supper tonight porkchop and baked potatoes and peas
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

SO Sorry for the loss of your dog ThiftyGranny
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Good Morning!
    I agree Lilo, the budget was vague in my opinion, I still think they are going to revisit raising the 50% capital gains inclusion rate. We are holding our breath because we bought a property in the 80's that has appreciated significantly and we are at the stage of sell it or live there full time and go down to one property. I feel that we have invested in our education,saved for our children's educations, planned wisely, worked hard and sacrificed and are successful and we will pay the price for those that haven't. As business owners there are a few things in the budget that will affect us as well, yuck.
    I have been very busy, my daughter and I are in the midst of opening up an etsy shop selling vintage clothing, linens and wares. It has always been a passion for both of us and we decided a little side hustle business would be fun. It has been a lot of work finding items and curating them, photographing items and lots of washing and mending. I have taken several online classes for Internet sales and all business licences are in place so we hope to open our virtual shop by the end of the month. We are not expecting to quit our day jobs but hopefully it will be fun and lucrative!
    I made pickles of all things yesterday, I was in Superstore and they had stacks of pickling onions on clear out and then I spied cauliflower on the reduced rack so I made 10 jars of sweet and sour pickles minus the cucumbers, everyone always fights over the cauliflower and onions in sweet mixed pickles so I always omit them!! I will be happy in August and the house is roasting that it will be one less thing to can.
    We are off to LA and Palm springs soon, we haven't been away since Spain a few years ago and it is a company function so the trip is paid for except our Hotel for our extra week. The Blue Jays will be playing in Anaheim while we are there so we are going to three games which has been a dream of mine since I was I can remember. I am very excited!!
    It will be a sad day tomorrow, we have to put down our 14 year old lab, she is failing fast, I had her at the vet last week and we walked there with no problems and now she can barely go outside to relieve herself. They found a mass in her stomach and thought it was a tumor on her spleen which is common. She has been the best dog, so gentle and loving, she has never had table food but tonight she is going to have a venison steak and whatever else she wants, it will be tough to get over her loss.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loved fur baby, they are family. I still miss my Jasper everyday, he's been gone for 4 years now and still the kids talk about him weekly, he was such an angel. He also was 14. Take it easy and know it's what's best but it's certainly not easy by any means.

Like you said one less thing to can this summer, awesomeness.

Enjoy your well deserved vacation and have a blast at the game. May there will be a possible photo op you can share on here.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good afternoon,

Phew....the door trim is all stripped, now it's in dh's hands to prep for sanding & painting.

Since I didn't bake yesterday I made a double batch of Pecan & Pear Muffins, they always turn out so nice and loaded with fibre, yielded 52 muffins

On the downside supper is easy peasy garlic bread & pizza as I'm tuckered out.

DH needs to go to Costco in the next week for propane so I will get him to pickup another bag of Kirland pecans for baking they are really nice.

Laundry is washed & hanging to dry. I will still have a load of black tops to do, I've started to do them separate as they are a real bugger with the golden retrievers hair....sigh.

Ds1 asked to have 2 friends over tomorrow night, the boys are all ready but ds1 has not even asked dh yet. I'm fine with it, they are good kids but we'll have to get creative with sleeping arrangements, they'll need to bring pillows & sleeping bags.

Wishing everyone a great afternoon & evening.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@thriftygranny - very cool about the Etsy venture, and so lovely you get to take a trip!

so very sorry to hear about your dog...

Name:  petsympathy.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  16.6 KB
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@thrifygranny sorry to hear about your fur baby. its never easy to say goodbye. If you have never read the Rainbow Bridge check it out. When we lost our last beagle our vet sent us the poem, I bawled my eyes out but the kids thought it was so cool to think that she was waiting for us on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I will look up that poem @lilo0003 as Mom's friend's family pet had a condition similar to what @thriftygranny posted about her family's pet. I can e-mail it to her. It's been a month since the dog passed away.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupongirl -yes, it's wonderful to get some time for yourself when your arm is feeling better. You likely notice how the arm is before committing to carrying or doing something now. It will have its days of rest and days of ok, let's do this.
    @jasperandchar -checkered flag for prevailing on the paint stripping task! Your family must be happy at the progress of the work going on. Supper-yum!

Did another long walk to go to another library location and collected a quarter and $2.30 in containers. Found a McCafe sticker-will save the now completed card for a cold day (very happy) so I can read the Toronto paper too while I sip. There was a movie or film crew at work in Westdale Village. I have no idea for which project . Police were on duty to halt traffic on King Street West as needed for crew members to move equipment.

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information