• 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By angelawinstead

Thread: Rose bush question

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Food Basics has rose bushes on sale, starting Thursday. If you bought one, where would you keep it? Would you pot it and keep it indoors?
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/421074-...a/#post6767249

Thanks

(Thanks to cyn88canada for posting the flyer)
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

You may be able to pot a miniature rose bush if you intend to bring it indoors. Mom has one or two minis planted in flowerbeds outdoors-problem is she does not prune back chrysanthemums or other taller plants to let the rose leaves gain sunshine/food access. So I get an earful of hollering when I do cut back in spring and fall and during growing season when I see bigger plants choking the small minis from getting sunshine.
    The regular rose bushes-I usually cut down to 6-8" (and prune the extra stalks that are numerous or crossing or just in the way of stronger stalks) in late fall and do another trim in spring for broken or diseased limbs-also making sure any nearby plants are cleared/cut to encourage roses to grow.
    Good time to do the chopped banana peel (at root base) and Epsom salts (4" away from roots) feeding now to start the bushes off for growth.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Apr 5th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    You may be able to pot a miniature rose bush if you intend to bring it indoors. Mom has one or two minis planted in flowerbeds outdoors-problem is she does not prune back chrysanthemums or other taller plants to let the rose leaves gain sunshine/food access. So I get an earful of hollering when I do cut back in spring and fall and during growing season when I see bigger plants choking the small minis from getting sunshine.
    The regular rose bushes-I usually cut down to 6-8" (and prune the extra stalks that are numerous or crossing or just in the way of stronger stalks) in late fall and do another trim in spring for broken or diseased limbs-also making sure any nearby plants are cleared/cut to encourage roses to grow.
    Good time to do the chopped banana peel (at root base) and Epsom salts (4" away from roots) feeding now to start the bushes off for growth.
    Thanks.
    I heard about banana peels but not Epsom salt.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Shwa Girl -am a fan of Martha Stewart and used to get her magazine (still read it when I can at my library branch). Tips came from her and they work.
    bluerose likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Shwa Girl -am a fan of Martha Stewart and used to get her magazine (still read it when I can at my library branch). Tips came from her and they work.
    bluerose likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Yes, I do agree with this. It really works better.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Thread Information