User Tag List

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1388Likes

Thread: April 2017 Frugal Chater All Welcome

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yesterday's Paska didn't turn out great - made two more this morning, so I sure hope these are better.
    Also made black bottom cupcakes for husband's birthday - it's tomorrow, but we are celebrating tonight.
    Cucs were on sale, so I made bucket pickles last night.

Will blanch cabbage for cabbage rolls this aft, so I can get them in the freezer.
    SO much left to do before Saturday! (Even though Easter is Sunday, we need to get things done for Saturday, because that's when the blessing of the Easter food baskets is done.)

Enjoy the day, everyone!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@avoncallingu - another move seems like a big decision but you are so spot-on about being with people who know you and live nearby (easier to arrange plans and reduce travel time). You also answered the question about your brother-he goes where you go. Do not know if you thought down the line but what about possibly looking into a residence in a retirement home with two bedrooms for you and your brother? The routine mealtimes and outings could be helpful to him when you may be out on a wedding and you would know he was getting his meals and there is a community on-site. Just a thought if Schlegel Villages or other residence has any upcoming open houses in the KW area and you are curious. BTW, I do wish you a breezy and successful home sale in London-could be a future grad or family that wants a place nearby ASAP!!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

computer irks me with double posts-sorry for the clutter!
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Apr 13th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela273 -great Cat Came Back tale! How exciting to get a new client for your daycare-congrats!
    @lilo0003 -Happy Birthday! I'll be joining the same club in 2019 and that thought keeps me thinking about where I want to be and how $$$ are needed.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Apr 13th, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    I think my jet lag is finally starting to subside but this cough is hanging on, I am going to give it until next week and if it has not cleared I will go to the doctor just to be safe. I am pretty sure it is nothing more than a cough but next week I will have had this cough for 2 weeks now.

Last night after work we went out grocery shopping as our fridge was bare. We went to the local Chinese Market for some veggies, I normally do not like Cabbage but I have found a few recipes using Napa Cabbage both raw and cooked that I do like only downside is most stores around here do not sell Napa or when they do the price is inflated. The Chinese Market always has it in stock and by far has the best price around. I find the Napa Cabbage can be a cheap filled in recipes to extend the recipe without spending a lot of extra money. Also got Red Peppers, Zucchini, Tomatoes all on sale plus Red Onion on clearance.

We also went to Costco and I knew before going in we were going to spend quite a bit but I had already planned on that. I had some extra money from our grocery budget set aside for this shop so although we spent more than we normally would we did have the money set aside already. I already knew I was going to buy 2 packs of chicken breast, to make meal prep easier what I have been doing is is pre marinating them and putting them in Food Saver bags so now I can just defrost and cook. I also pre chop and slice some and freeze so they can pulled out for quick meals. We were also able to get a number of things on sale, Cheese Slices, Limes, Yogurt. We are now well stocked on food which makes me happy as I need to start eating better or better yet just eating, I have gotten into a really bad habit of skipping meals.

This weekend I am hoping to get quite a bit accomplished. I would like to do some food prep as I have to get my eating under control or better yet I have to start eating properly again. Also we started on some stuff around the house but it staled with everything that was going on before I left on vacation mostly the fact I started working on a large project for work and I was pretty much working if I wasn't sleeping so time to get back to the house. Also Mom wants to clean out her closet which means we should have a number of things to post for sale and her cloths usually move pretty quickly. Just really feeling a need to get back into the swing of things.

Well better get back to work and see what I can get done today. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lilo0003 happy birthday
    @Natalka happy birthday to your dh
    @avoncallingu thanks for checking in with us, we appreciate it. All the best in the sale of your home & relocation, baby steps, it all takes time.

Went grocery shopping with inlaws this morning and well let's just say, I will only be buying milk, bread & tp the rest of the month (lol). Well stocked but my budget is crippled for groceries so nothing other than the staples.

I stocked up on chicken breast (skinless) bone-in at FreshCo At $1.99lbs can't beat that price.

Wishing everyone a fabulous long & Easter weekend.

Dh & ds1 are going to pickup a dog kennel which we plan to use to contain chickens, yes we will be getting chickens in the near future, we still need to build a coop.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lilo0003 happy birthday
    @Natalka happy birthday to your dh
    @avoncallingu thanks for checking in with us, we appreciate it. All the best in the sale of your home & relocation, baby steps, it all takes time.

Went grocery shopping with inlaws this morning and well let's just say, I will only be buying milk, bread & tp the rest of the month (lol). Well stocked but my budget is crippled for groceries so nothing other than the staples.

I stocked up on chicken breast (skinless) bone-in at FreshCo At $1.99lbs can't beat that price.

Wishing everyone a fabulous long & Easter weekend.

Dh & ds1 are going to pickup a dog kennel which we plan to use to contain chickens, yes we will be getting chickens in the near future, we still need to build a coop.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our kids haven't been sleeping very well for 3 weeks already. The twins were up from 2-4am, still don't know why they wanted to be up.

I bought a new vacuum from Canadian Tire because the seal went on our current vacuum and Dh said it would cost too much to fix it. I bought a Dirt Devil for 50% off and redeemed $6.xx in CT$. I forgot to buy it on the weekend when they had 20x the points.

I took our twins with me to Wal-Mart this morning. They did pretty good, but neither of them wanted to stay seated, I had to keep tightening their belts. It pays to watch prices at the till and check your receipt. I picked up two 18pks of eggs that were on sale for $2.87, they rang up as $4.xx. It ultimately took 5 people, including a separate trip to customer service because it still wasn't right. I SCOPed one carton of eggs, got charged the right price for the second carton of eggs, and had to be refunded for the extra carton of eggs that I was charged $4.xx for but I only had two carts of eggs at the till. I also used a $1 coupon and a 75c rebate on CO51.

All three of our children have coloured pictures for local Easter colouring contests, I dropped them off today and picked up pages for a third colouring contest.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Apr 13th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I keep thinking it's Saturday.... duh, nope!

Babka breads are baking, and I just blanched cabbage leaves.
    Have to grate beets and make 'hrin' - kind of a beet relish, I suppose - includes horseradish, kind of spicy/tangy/sweet - goes great with ham and sausage for Easter.

Hopefully, will make another batch of either Paska or Babka later in the day.

Though it's another busy day, since it's Good Friday - a day for fasting and reflection here.

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Hi all! I can't remember that last time I posted but I like reading the threads in this section. I have been on vacation all week and usually I plan to hit up all the stores I like, but only went out once to do any shopping! Once was shoppers for easter candy for 6 It was pricey but I used $10 in points and got $5 on CO51) and no frills for a couple things. I am still deal hunting but trying not to overshop as I have in the past. I have been spending my week spring cleaning and figuring what to donate and sell, and using up freezer stuff for dinners.
    For Easter we are going to my in laws' house (a mix of both our families) I am going to make a couple pies. I have homemade pie crust in the freeze and tons of frozen crabapples from summer. Also pie plates I stocked up on when they were 99c for an 8 pack. Can't wait!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I wish I could muster the courage to attempt a Boston Cream Pie (cake) tomorrow but I know the parents have intentions to roast some lamb meat. Forecast is for rain and 20C tomorrow-best that I do not linger around the kitchen or another installment of the kitchen drama will follow.

Beautiful sunny day but cool-went on two walks. Noticed one churchyard had blooming daffodils in their shaded spots. Yet tulips at home seem stalled (no blooms yet) in their sunny spot on the south side of yard. Found a dime, three McCafe stickers and about 24 containers to redeem tomorrow for deposit money. Found a penny yesterday and it's not corroded! Construction will be starting on the main road next Tuesday (signs say that stretch of road will be closed until June 31-I missed the extra day memo) and tomorrow is supposed to rain, so yours truly will be doing the rounds for any more containers on Monday to help bank account reach May fee coverage and get June's fee underway. Plus I need some money for the upcoming used book sale (must get a couple of books or magazines).
    Got two CIBC calendars at a different branch (yesterday) where a table for Canada's 150th birthday was setup-very happy about the find as Mom can take them to two youth she will see during her vacation and they can learn about Canada (the kids both know English).

Took a look at the flyers today and am compiling a list of specials to see which grocery store might see me tomorrow. Noticed the Sobeys flyer is an 8-day one-looks like I was wrong about the chain moving to Thursday starts as this flyer is a one-off.
    Value Village fans-tip about next Saturday: anticipate a sale on (forgot the discount) short-sleeve shirts for Earth Day. Last week when I was inquiring about something at my store, I found out the next clothing sale is the one I just mentioned. Then anticipate that the first Sunday in May is likely Club Card 50% off clothing sale time again!

If you entered your local Longo's stores' Easter Lindt chocolate basket draw (by searching for the 10 Easter eggs and matching them to departments), it's likely tomorrow that each store will have a winner posted. The contest ended yesterday.
    BTW, Longo's Ancaster has a special that ends tomorrow-spend $99 in store and get a spiral honey ham and a bag of potatoes free ($38 value). It's also Holy Cannoli weekend-half dozen of the cannoli are $7.99. Bakery also sells a Holy Cannoli cake for April plus zeppole, which feature Amarena cherries (traditional cakes for St. Joseph's Day).
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Apr 14th, 2017 at 08:23 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@avrose -pie rep! I have not made pie crust in a long time. @SassyAshley -Napa cabbage rep! Fortinos usually sells it for $2.18/kg and sometimes the cabbages are average or small but sometimes only big ones are on display. Your RCSS likely has a similar price but you have a great store for your produce!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@avrose -pie rep! I have not made pie crust in a long time. @SassyAshley -Napa cabbage rep! Fortinos usually sells it for $2.18/kg and sometimes the cabbages are average or small but sometimes only big ones are on display. Your RCSS likely has a similar price but you have a great store for your produce!
    Newfiescreech and GoodBoy like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

cooking my free butterball turkey today -yummmmm-it has been so nice having my daughter here thursday night with Sebastian and half of yesterday they were here plus staying overnight again -love having the house filled with my grown kids and grandkids
    -poor sebastian has a cold still its hard to see them with a cold under a year

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our other second hand store in town is celebrating its 3rd anniversary with a 50% off sale. I bought clothing items for everyone in our family. I bought 12 items for $27.50.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information