User Tag List

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1388Likes

Thread: April 2017 Frugal Chater All Welcome

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I cooked a good sized moose roast last night, we will be eating if for a few days. The day has gone well with the new daycare kid. We spent time outside this afternoon until we were all getting cold, it was 5C with 30km/hr winds. I spent some time weeding another section of the garden, I'm mostly on top of it. We'll need to replace part of the wood boarder that is rotting too much. I'm not sure how much work I want to do to improve the soil quality in the largest and oldest section of the garden, it's too sandy and become very compacted each year. Dh is home and we are just waiting for the daycare boy to be picked up before we eat supper.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Please note - MANY more flour products have been added to the recall

https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/420973...a/#post6763871

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I kind of feel the same way. We have been helping them for months, we even contributed to their goffundme page that was supposed to be used to pay for moving. They have posted and paid someone else when I was unavailable in the fall, because I was caring for my regular paying daycare kids. I don't necessarily want my brother's money, but I also don't want to be treated like this. I run a home daycare and I'm struggling to pay my own bills...but I guess I'm only good enough when it is free and convenient for SIL.
    Well I think it's eye opening, you were taking care of them last month and you were not feeling the best I believe or there was something else going on but I don't think it's fair to be used like that, you have your own life & obligations and your health issues and they have there's as well.

But it's no reason to not offer some sort of compensation in return, I don't know if they would be willing to return the favour(s) and it's not place to speculate but I sure hope you are not letting your saying no to them bother you.

Take care of yourself and your family and don't be afraid to say no even if you don't have daycare kids, it's okay to say no and not feel guilty.
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Well I think it's eye opening, you were taking care of them last month and you were not feeling the best I believe or there was something else going on but I don't think it's fair to be used like that, you have your own life & obligations and your health issues and they have there's as well.

But it's no reason to not offer some sort of compensation in return, I don't know if they would be willing to return the favour(s) and it's not place to speculate but I sure hope you are not letting your saying no to them bother you.

Take care of yourself and your family and don't be afraid to say no even if you don't have daycare kids, it's okay to say no and not feel guilty.
    Thank you. I do feel guilty, but I have to take care of my own family too. The only time they are in contact with me is when they need something from myself or Dh. My brother and I have been very close over the years, but his wife has pushed him away from family and friends. It is hard to see. It is also hard to see how far behind his boys are and the lack of interventions...parents not doing interventions. I feel badly for them, but a few days at my house each month isn't enough to make up for it.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh cooked supper while I stepped out to Wal-Mart. I'm pretty happy with my small purchases. I spent $12.49 on 50% off chocolate, 6 items in total, and submitted the receipt for $4.50 back from rebate apps. I plan on posting specifics in the best deal of the week thread. Mmm Chocolate.
    Last edited by Angela273; Mon, Apr 17th, 2017 at 08:41 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Thank you. I do feel guilty, but I have to take care of my own family too. The only time they are in contact with me is when they need something from myself or Dh. My brother and I have been very close over the years, but his wife has pushed him away from family and friends. It is hard to see. It is also hard to see how far behind his boys are and the lack of interventions...parents not doing interventions. I feel badly for them, but a few days at my house each month isn't enough to make up for it.
    That's all you can do, take care of yourself
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

Supper tonight is chicken breasts & hot Italian sausages.

2 loads of laundry are hanging out to dry, it's supposed to rain the next 3 days so I'm glad I did the couch blankets as well (dang dogs and their shedding - haha)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!! (It's been ages since one of these have been posted)

If any of you follow blogs or observe family members/friends, I know we all have our limits when it comes to saving money or stretching our pennies but some I find are extreme when it comes to saving $. And in some cases their just plain cheap, yes I've said it, not frugal by any means.....plain jane cheap (haha) or borderline neglect/child abuse

I'm trying not to be judgemental but only observant which I find is quite different, some may disagree and that's okay.

Having said all this have you stopped reading some financial bloggers, distanced yourself from family/friends because you just can't handle the lengths they will go to in which to save $? Yes it's nice to save for retirement, etc BUT at what costs, I mean you still have to live your life....

In the end it's to each their own and we don't live their lives so in the end they are the ones that thrive/suffer/deprive themselves but I've found 1 blog in particular is really starting to upset me (I won't mention the name).

__________________________-

Personally I like to save where I can but I would never make my kids where jeans that are 2-3 sizes to big, eat potatoes for supper +++++ and then post about how things are going.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our twins slept good last night, so I actually got 7.5hrs sleep last night. They went down for a big nap together right after lunch, so I took the big boys outside with me for nearly 2hrs. Their hands were getting chili by the time we headed inside and woke up the twins for afternoon snack. One side of my large garden plot has rotten wooden board, so we dug out a lot of dirt and moved it to a different garden plot that had room. I figured this would help Dh when he gets to it. I was wearing my garden gloves, but I neglected to remove my wedding ring and now my hands have sore spots. I almost have all three garden plots weeded. There are a rediculous amount of earthworms in my garden, which I know is a good thing.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

watched Ashlyn today -we painted ,coloured,went out twice in the day for fresh air and walks ,then son needed to get his income tax done so we brought her to out house had pasta for supper left over buns from easter -as daughter had brought a loaf of her bread -so I have some ace buns left,then as they were gonna go Ashlyn was leaning out my front door and I went to shut the screen door and squished her poor little finger by mistake -I said go see mommy and she still wanted me -I felt bad I iced it a little too
    -on Wednesday I will make cookies with her -a frozen xmas box of sugar cookies good til may 31 -and I asked my daughter-in-law can I make them with her before they go expired -yep so that may be fun
    -just relaxing tonight
    Natalka, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend-we did a road trip to visit friends. DD is still trying to decide which university to attend-she has been accepted to 3 and still waiting to hear back from one more-she gets her report card on Friday so once she submits that she will hopefully hear soon.

Of course Mum and Dad would prefer she stay in province at least for first year but she has other ideas. We said she needs to make the decision that she thinks is best-I almost think she would like us to say you have to go here and then she wouldn't have to decide!! I have a feeling I will be driving her to Vancouver on the Sept long weekend. Time will tell.

Today we caught up on laundry and groceries-found some short dated steak for 30% off-that was a nice BBQ'd treat for dinner. Whoops-just remembered it is DH's birthday on Friday-should have saved it for then. I will just ask him what he would like for Bday dinner.

We are both celebrating big Bday's next year( 60 and 65-hard to believe) so I am trying to convince him a nice warm, trip for just the 2 of us in the middle of winter will be in order-time will tell.

DH and I have both submitted our tax returns so that is done.

I am working tomorrow morning-otherwise a pretty quiet week-so far.

I spoke to my daughters birth mother for the first time last week by phone-the conversation went well. At almost 18, I don't think DD is in any hurry to re-meet her but we have agreed to still keep in occasional contact by letter or phone. I was also able to figure out where her birth half sister worked, based on a couple of things her Mum told me and then did some sleuthing to figure out her married name and found her on Facebook for DD. I did note some similar facial features and similar body build between the two-even though they only have one parent in common and one is very dark haired and the other fair. Amazing how the genes play out. I was watching Long Lost Family on TV the other night( where people reunite with their birth families or an absent parent or sibling) and in so many cases you do see the resemblance when family members are reunited.

Anyway the ball will be in DD's court now if/when she should decide she wishes more contact. We will support her either way. The law now in Alberta is that the birth family can get identifying info once the adopted child is 18.5 years-so we decided to just voluntarily initiate the contact ourselves-rather than DD potentially caught off guard while away in university. Of course all parties had to agree to contact.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Tue, Apr 18th, 2017 at 07:41 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    Posted earlier today. This Wednesday is 50% off short sleeve tops at value village.

Value Village: Wed April 19 - 50% off SS Tops

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t
    Glad you posted the sale information! I saw it tonight (in my e-mail) and thought, oops, I posted Saturday as the date.
    By happy coincidence today, I was in Burlington to look at the VV store there during my day trip and also popped into the Stoney Creek one on my way home. Saw other items of interest but not short sleeve tops. Will check my local store just in case there is a top.
    Since it was chilly cold today, a sweater sale would be have been a real winner today!
    Got to dash-will post more tomorrow.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela273 -I agree with @jasperandchar 's post to you about keeping firm and definitely taking notice when family takes advantage. Short call day before intended visit? No. Glad you stated your boundaries. As to the house not being sold-at this time I am wondering if some kind of money game is being played at your expense and possibly others.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump day! Today is my last day of work for the week. Vacation days ahead of me
    I twisted my ankle yesterday so was stuck sitting on the couch with it up. Tonight I hope to get laundry on the go and done. We will see. I will start it and may have to give instructions to transfer to dryer and bring to me to fold etc .

It was raining early (heavy at a time) but seems to have stopped now and is drying up now so may end up being a nice day.

Someone left a whole chicken out beside the freezer lol. Yuck. Good thing it went with the garbage yesterday. I am working on emptying the chest freezer and just buying the upright I want! Will unplug the freezer and go with just the fridge freezer for a few months and I bet the electricity savings will pay for the new freezer!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon everyone,

I made a fire in the wood stove it's cold and damp here tonight and given the next 3 days of rain forecasted I think I will keep it going.

I have a question and/or looking for advice, not frugal related but family related....we're all friends on here & I value your opinions.

So as some of you are aware my parents travel quite a bit about 6 months a year. They have never really had a strong relationship with my children as when the kids are available to spend a good amount of time with them they are away (May-Sept) plus winter vacations as well.

My kids are now teens (14 & 16) and our themselves making statements which I agree with and so don't fault them when they have plans even if it's next door to not rush over for my parents to see them.

Also as some of you may recall my parents also have no sensor, bad case of foot & mouth disease....

Anyways the last time they were here 2 weeks ago it was the worst case of saying hurtful, inapropriate things, ++++ I always warn my mom to tell my dad to behave which I shouldn't have to do but the last visit really drew the line in the sand with the comments they made which made my whole family extremely upset and uncomfortable. My parents tried to laugh it off but it was by no means funny. Every time they visit it just gets worse and worse. It's to the point where we really don't want them to visit, thruthfully. They even made a statement the last time that we didn't want them to visit but no one responded, we just ignored the statement because it was a true statement but didn't want to get into it.

So anyways they want to cram in another visit before they leave on May 1st (if the cardiologist which she is seeing today) says she can travel however, my mom says they are going regardless, that's a whole other story. They are adults so they can do what they want with their health concerns/problems, etc as they are the ones that will have to live with the outcome. And yes I said cram in a visit because that is what they do....

I also got a big blast this past Sunday as some of you may recall as I posted about it. I got a big blast because I didn't invite them for Easter supper which I was not hosting and had told my mom that the previous week.

Anyways it's getting really bad, they way they behave it's too the point that dh says the next time he will ask them to leave....which I totally understand because they make everyone feel uncomfortable and are down right rude, innapropriate, etc....

So anyways my mom called yesterday and they want to cram in a visit before they leave May 1st apparently this weekend. I already told them we had plans on Sunday and that the kids play/hangout with my BIL on Saturday.

So anyways what should I do? I already warn them and ask them to behave before they come.

Also they no longer have social friends and the few they have brush them off because people are tired of the things they say and the way they behave.

Also both of my brothers have "thrown them out" of their homes because of the things have said/done.

Thanks
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Wed, Apr 19th, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
    Newfiescreech, Angela273 and Ciel like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Afternoon everyone,

Supper tonight is chicken breasts & hot Italian sausages.

2 loads of laundry are hanging out to dry, it's supposed to rain the next 3 days so I'm glad I did the couch blankets as well (dang dogs and their shedding - haha)

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!! (It's been ages since one of these have been posted)

If any of you follow blogs or observe family members/friends, I know we all have our limits when it comes to saving money or stretching our pennies but some I find are extreme when it comes to saving $. And in some cases their just plain cheap, yes I've said it, not frugal by any means.....plain jane cheap (haha) or borderline neglect/child abuse

I'm trying not to be judgemental but only observant which I find is quite different, some may disagree and that's okay.

Having said all this have you stopped reading some financial bloggers, distanced yourself from family/friends because you just can't handle the lengths they will go to in which to save $? Yes it's nice to save for retirement, etc BUT at what costs, I mean you still have to live your life....

In the end it's to each their own and we don't live their lives so in the end they are the ones that thrive/suffer/deprive themselves but I've found 1 blog in particular is really starting to upset me (I won't mention the name).

__________________________-

Personally I like to save where I can but I would never make my kids where jeans that are 2-3 sizes to big, eat potatoes for supper +++++ and then post about how things are going.
    I'm with you. There is quite a difference between frugal and cheap and some extremely frugal people border on cheapskates. Life is about giving and not hoarding for oneself to get ahead in life.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information