• 2 Post By tjthemanto
  • 2 Post By anastasia1009
  • 1 Post By csaund21

Thread: Filing tax returns for 2008-2012

Trading Score
    422 (100%)

Expired on: Tue, Jul 4th, 2017
    Hi all

I am currently helping my step-daughter file her taxes going back to 2008-long story!. She has a CRA my account and I have found that she has one T4 for each year from 2008-2012, so pretty basic returns (no tuition, rent or other deductions either). She has filed for 2015 and 2016 and I was able to netfile 2013 and 2014 through Simpletax. However, they wont let me go back any further. What is my best option? I looked at the CRA forms and the tax packages are saying archived and I cannot use them ?? Ufile offers packages going back to 2008 and they cost $29 each, is this my best option? I hate to have to pay! Any ideas are appreciated, thanks for reading.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by csaund21 View Post
    Hi all

I am currently helping my step-daughter file her taxes going back to 2008-long story!. She has a CRA my account and I have found that she has one T4 for each year from 2008-2012, so pretty basic returns (no tuition, rent or other deductions either). She has filed for 2015 and 2016 and I was able to netfile 2013 and 2014 through Simpletax. However, they wont let me go back any further. What is my best option? I looked at the CRA forms and the tax packages are saying archived and I cannot use them ?? Ufile offers packages going back to 2008 and they cost $29 each, is this my best option? I hate to have to pay! Any ideas are appreciated, thanks for reading.
    I would try contacting CRA and asking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ciel likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Try StudioTax, it's free and is actually pretty good. I do a few returns for family per year, and used to use both big commercial packages, but I find that I prefer StudioTax.

At their download page (http://studiotax.com/en/?page=2), you will find packages going back to 2004, all available for free. I had to do this last year for my brother-in-law who had not filed for a few years.

To make it a bit easier, I would try to do the oldest one first, as each year's package has the ability to carry forward the information from the previous year's information - name, SIN, address and so on. This will at least save you from having to type it in each time.
    Grey, Ciel, csaund21 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

She will get some Income Tax refund when she files for those years.

But as far as some monthly or quarterly tax credits and benefits are concerned like qtrly HST/GST payment, OTB etc I don't think she will get any retroactive payments. I don't think CRA goes that back.

But regular IT refund from those years she should get back.
    Ciel and csaund21 like this.

Trading Score
    422 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    Try StudioTax, it's free and is actually pretty good. I do a few returns for family per year, and used to use both big commercial packages, but I find that I prefer StudioTax.

At their download page (http://studiotax.com/en/?page=2), you will find packages going back to 2004, all available for free. I had to do this last year for my brother-in-law who had not filed for a few years.

To make it a bit easier, I would try to do the oldest one first, as each year's package has the ability to carry forward the information from the previous year's information - name, SIN, address and so on. This will at least save you from having to type it in each time.
    Thanks! I was able to fill in 2008-2011 through the link you added and I did 2012 through Simpletax, I have to mail them all out since they are too old to Netfile . Thanks for the help
    Last edited by csaund21; Mon, Jun 5th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by csaund21 View Post
    Thanks! I was able to fill in 2008-2011 through the link you added and I did 2012 through Simpletax, I have to mail them all out since they are too old to Netfile . Thanks for the help
    Keep a record and a duplicate of what you send them. Each and every document.

Also send it by registered mail if you want, just so that there is a record of it being mailed. Mail it to the right tax centre and address, depending on your location and jurisdiction. Could be Sudbury or whatever tax centre address they have .

Send each tax return in a separate envelope, don't combine them in one envelope.
    Colsgirl, Ciel and csaund21 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP might have to remit to PEI tax centre as she's(and step--daughter) part of the suburbs of Hamilton, ON. Though Sudbury will likely redirect to PEI or at least let PEI know of the return showing up (as I once mailed to Sudbury when CRA put that tax centre on all of the free mailing envelopes when picking up forms on your own was being pushed out of post offices-PEI did my Notice of Assessment).
    csaund21 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP, glad you wrote that there is no tuition to claim. Sometimes post-secondary schools update their student portal software or change them. Mohawk College is about to switch from Mocomotion to MyMohawk later this month. So last call for getting tax slips and such for 2016 paperwork if there are others who missed filing their income tax returns.
    csaund21 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Weigh them and put the right postage, those tax form can weigh quite a bit, if you are mailing them.

You can even drop them at CRA drop boxes at various CRA buildings if you have one close by. But they don't give any acknowledgement of receipt back, so there is no way you can prove if you sent them or not.

They will just stamp the envelope with a date and time, when you give it to them, but won't give you a written record of Received or anything like that.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

this happened to me from 2007 to 2012 - I did them all by paper and dropped them off in the box downtown Hamilton
    took about six weeks

Trading Score
    422 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    this happened to me from 2007 to 2012 - I did them all by paper and dropped them off in the box downtown Hamilton
    took about six weeks
    Thanks!
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information