User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 3 Post By smartbuyer
  • 1 Post By Zillia

Thread: How do you get an antenna to pick up channels? (Hamilton area)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone in Hamilton area or surrounding has been able to receive channels through an antenna?

because I have not and I have purchased multiple antenna's.

Why is this? is it my location(far away from the towers)?

Does anyone in this area receive any channels through an antenna, how can I get this to work?
    Tried connecting it to my cable box, then to my tv thought I would try both, I scan for channels and nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by JDI007; Mon, Jun 5th, 2017 at 09:52 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know you had purchased an antenna last year similar if not the same one as our family uses at The Source but you tried it and it did not work and did not provide the Weather Network for the parent that relies on it. . The suction cups on the pad (on our unit) are attached to the east window (Ancaster is on the escarpment, which might factor into your not receiving signals in the lower (below escarpment) East Hamilton area. Probably the signals are too high above your window that you attached the pad to or there are other nearby tall buildings or trees that could be intercepting or blocking television signals too from Toronto/Hamilton area. Though I'd think you'd be able to pick up at least one or two signals across the lake from the US side.

I also recall you had mentioned that the tv your parents watched was in a specific room but you were hoping to get the signals shared between two sets in two different rooms. Not possible as there is only about 2m or so of cable between the pad and the antenna base unit.

Were you planning on dropping the cable service again or just trying to see if your room can get over the air signals?

We used to have that high metal antenna tower (about 2 storeys high) with the antenna on top during the 1980s/90s. But I only remember a few years of use as the tower had three support wires attached to the ground and a big truck on our property for the minibarn construction had snapped one wire while reversing past the garage/tower.

You should see if anyone in your survey has a similar tower and if they are getting more channels beyond CHCH and Global and TVO.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jun 9th, 2017 at 09:10 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Aw thanks anyway. Yes, our cable bill went up so we are looking for other options, we thought about also buying separate channels (we have Rogers) but you can't really do that because they have to be "add-ons" to basic cable, so that is not good. (everyone in my area has Bell). I guess Netflix might work for things like movies/tv shows but news, weather, sports might be difficult to get.
    Ciel likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here's a couple of links that may help you. https://www.reddit.com/r/Hamilton/co...l_in_hamilton/,
    https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
    Put in your address and it will show what channels you should get.
    Last edited by smartbuyer; Tue, Jun 13th, 2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Ciel, JDI007 and Linda Evans like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have you bought a HDTV booster thing that plugs in between your tv and atenna cord? This one below isn't the exact one I bought. Sorry I don't know how to make it smaller,

Ciel likes this.

Thread Information