User Tag List

Page 138 of 149 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2234
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Eek! Random mystery bites are the worst!

I re-potted all those plants that I mentioned awhile back last week. One of the pots that I used had sat out all winter and I don't know how many winters before with no drainage issues. I didn't do anything to the pot or the dirt inside of it besides adding more dirt and a climbing plant whose name I don't remember. Anyway, the last few days we've been having a lot of rain and wouldn't you know that this pot decides that it's no longer going to drain water. When I noticed, the poor plant was drowning and the dirt inside was like quicksand. Of course it's a big pot and it's too heavy to just turn over to see what the issue is. Now I have to wait til it dries up under the gazebo tent to see what's going on. Dang it.
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and SavvyLady like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I had an emergency appendectomy on June 5, so I'm struggling to keep on top of the weeds in my vegetable garden. I lowered my expectations for the summer. You can definitely tell where I've weeded and what's still waiting. I have over 15 types of vegetables in my garden. My established green onions and tomato plants are flowering.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Well my lilacs were outstanding this year,I have lots of yellow iris also but this plant is so evasive, I have a black Iris that has not none well this year and thats sad lol. Lots of wild things growing cannot keep on top of it.
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I cut back two heads of green lettuce as I needed some lettuce. Trimmed some sprawling low level flowers to open up spaces to sunshine and maybe the red leaf lettuce will grow better. It's obvious that the flowerbed need weekly attention for the grass on the perimeter not to advance and to yank out flowers that are seeding themselves all over the beds.

There are three tall dark green plants growing where I seeded Icelandic poppies (18" height) about 5 weeks ago but they look like green wooden sticks with big leaves. Will give them this week to flower or else I will remove them as they don't look like flowerbed material.

The lavender plant does not seem to have grown. Rosemary seems happy with its dry and sunny spot.

Mom was watering flowers one night and saw a snake around the chrsanthemums. I said it's almost time for the reptiles to find places to shed their skins and btw, do water in the early morning instead. I have been conscious in mid-June that I should not be trekking in ditches with foot high grasses and plants to avoid insect bites and possibly startled creatures. Nature has teeth, so to say.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Now have 3 green zucchini!! I want them to get bigger though. DH panted me some yellow ones yesterday. Snow pea vines are nice and tall but no flowers present yet, Various barrels of green beans looking lush too. Swiss chard slowly growing up as well. The delicate lettuces are " regrowing " after we clipped and devoured a swath of the box last week.
    A nasty critter has been eating our strawberries!! I was eyeing a big juicy one the other day but when i saw it gone I thought DH had eaten it, nope! Must be a squirrel.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We were gone for five days. I watered the day we left, asked no one to come water in our absence. Came home today and nothing needed water. Did it rain a lot while we were gone, I wonder? Either way, good for my plants for not dying.
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    We were gone for five days. I watered the day we left, asked no one to come water in our absence. Came home today and nothing needed water. Did it rain a lot while we were gone, I wonder? Either way, good for my plants for not dying.
    Oh yes!! It rained.....and rained.....well good thing for your gardens anyway!!
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw that three of the hens and chicks succulents have done that bolting thing at their centres.

Seems that green lettuces respond well to watering. Will have to trim leaves again tomorrow. Random mint pops up even after I keep pulling out whatever growth I find. Rosemary and lavender are not showing much growth despite watering. Roses look fried/burnt but the blooms were lovely. Most rose leaves have that rusty look but no so much beetle munching-yet.

Echinecea(coneflowers) are starting to bloom. Did some weeding in flowerbeds yesterday as creeping Charlie got established and I had to crouch down to see where their stems were among the plants.
    Newfiescreech and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@torontogal12 -do you have a fig crop report from your parent's place? I seem to remember seeing a fig dessert recipe in the new LCBO magazine. Just curious what the figs are like in 2017.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Not sure about the fig report this year, but last year we only got two, about the size of a grape each
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @torontogal12 -do you have a fig crop report from your parent's place? I seem to remember seeing a fig dessert recipe in the new LCBO magazine. Just curious what the figs are like in 2017.
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO and Ciel like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@walkonby and @GoJays - I posted one charcoal tip for plants in the July frugal thread but seeing your watering discussion for gardens here prompts me to post the other garden tip using charcoal:
    Ensure a garden stays hydrated: before you head out of town for your summer getaway, break several charcoal briquettes into 1" pieces and sprinkle them on your flower beds and beneath your bushes. The porous briquettes will absorb and retain water and slowly release it into the ground so your soil stays moist until you return.
    Newfiescreech, GoJays and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I snagged a very tall ( and healthy ) Mandevilla tree ( potted ) from the NF in Ajax this morning for a mere $10.00 .....so hopefully soon we will have big beautiful white flowers blooming all summer long!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've been looking for a yellow one, @walkonby . There's a garden centre close to us that has them but not in small plants. The big one is well over $60. I'm certainly not interested in paying that much for one. They're so pretty though.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The celery in the garden is almost ready for harvest. I give it another couple of weeks I think, as I don't want it two feet high this year.

The peppers are getting huge, beets tops are over a foot high, cucumbers are coming in good. I should be able to harvest in a few days or so.

A tomato or two is ready and ripe to be picked. Onion greens are two feet tall or so, but I think that is normal.

Dill is about three feet high and I don't know what to do with it.

Basil has been harvested three times already and continues to grow like a bad weed.

Got two harvests out of the rhubarb already and made jam.

Overall the garden is doing good and the slugs love it too.....oh well....
    Last edited by maggiespice; Tue, Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:42 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Page 138 of 149 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 ... LastLast

Thread Information