User Tag List

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree962Likes

Thread: July 2017 Frugal Chatter Thread

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I've looked into home daycares previously. The one advertised in my neighbourhood was charging about half the amount of regulated daycares. When I visited, it was neat as a pin. However, the temperatures on the upper floor where the children were sleeping in one communal bed was in the high thirties and no air conditioning. DD1 was sweating after 30 minutes in that house. They showed me the refrigerator which was stocked with No Name breaded chicken nuggets and packaged chocolates, snacks, juices, etc. The children that were there seemed conditioned to recognize the sound of crackly wrappers as food. There were other concerns such as lit candles on the floor, along with the children. They said on hot days, the children played in the garage. The walls were covered with chalk drawings and there was a dirty futon that was covered in stains that I know DD1 would be drawn to jumping and playing on. That sealed it for me. I think I ran home...

I looked into the regulated home daycares. All the ones near me had large dogs, and at the time, DD1 could not walk independently on her own. My mother, who has a deep fear of all dogs, would have had a heart attack. Besides that, we live in a large city (over 500,000 people) and though there is a police check done on the provider, they can let anyone into their home, for any length of time. Once a month, they have a surprise home visit from the company, but otherwise, no other checks. A co-worker had both his children with a daycare lady who took all the children to the mall and set them to wait outside a store while the lady ran her errands. They only found out by accident when his wife stepped out from work to go to the mall one day. Otherwise, they would never have known and they did not give permission for their children to leave the home. It's hard to imagine that she would have had that many carseats to accommodate all the children in her care. I fret about the little things like that and unless I know the person, I don't think I could go with an unregulated daycare or a home daycare in this area.

I've considered an in-home nanny, but if there are not at least two children at home, a daycare is less expensive. With DD1 going to school this September, it wouldn't be cost effective. However, a friend of mine says her nanny cleans, potty trains, and cooks dinner before she leaves, as well as leaves a list of things she has run out of. She has three children at home and with the first two in school, the nanny also does pick up and drop off for the older ones. If I could only borrow her nanny.

@SassyAshley : Yes, I remember our old landlord being surprised that we were buying a house without renting out the basement. My parents were landlords and I remember my father breaking up countless drunken brawls or calling the police. Then when they moved out, it was like they tried to cause as much damage as possible. Good tenants are worth their weight in gold, but the bad ones are near impossible to get rid of. I wouldn't wish that kind of trouble on anyone!
    ROMEO, Angela273, barbis9 and 6 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I remember my other hesitation about the regulated home daycares was that they wouldn't allow me to meet any of the providers without paying the non-refundable $50+ fee. There was also a three week window when they could take vacation and you would be re-routed to another provider in the area.

I would consider home daycares, but I think it would take longer to speak with and visit each location. When DD1 goes out, if it's not the library or the playground, she has no interest in going.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avrose View Post
    I'm going to see if I can find the free friday product. No luck with the last 2. (ok well last week I just didn't go shopping)
    I couldn't find the free items. Asked the manager at Fortinos and he wasn't aware of the products.
    Angela273, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Oh what a week it has been.

Last Friday I went to the doctor about the swelling in my ankle and foot, he told me what I have which I cannot even pronounce let alone spell. The good news is it is nothing to worry about unless it changes. As long as compression continues to hold down the swelling I am good and I am not supposed to sit or stand for long periods (ha ha, in my job I either sit all day or stand all day).

I spent most of the week fighting a nasty headache that was I was determined not to let win. This only became hard when as my boss would put it "political issues" came up at work and I ended up smack in the middle. I am still trying to figure out what my next move is, right now I am still extremely upset over the whole situation so I do not think now is the time to set out a game plan. I have decided my best move at this time is to avoid that whole situation and move on to other things until I can figure out the best course of action.

I decided I was doing nothing yesterday to recover from my week but I couldn't get my mind off the situation at work so I decided it was best to do some baking and cooking. Mom always jokes that she knows when my stress and anxiety is up as she comes home to a fridge full of food. What can I say chopping and stirring relaxes me. My mission yesterday was to use up "old" items so I made:
    Cherry Ricotta Cake (Used some Cherries that are really tart and some ricotta that expires next week)
    Apple Cake (Had some older apples that were only suitable for baking)
    Beef Stir Fry (Used up an older package of mushrooms and peppers)

I also decided to post some items for sale on the local site. Last week when I was in my basement looking for something I found a box of stuff Mom decided she wanted to get rid of but got berried so it was never posted. So far I have had 3 pick ups this weekend, 1 scheduled for Monday and another woman interested but has not picked a day for pick up. In the last 2 weeks I have made over $60 selling random things from around the house. Right now this is money will go to replacing our kitchen faucet but I am pretty sure we now have more $$$ then we will need for the faucet so I will start to evaluation what our next "goal" will be.

Hope everyone has a good day. I am off to prep for the week ahead as I did not get my whole to do list for done last week.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sun, Jul 16th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Natalka, ROMEO, barbis9 and 4 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Today, I managed for the first time to walk around the grocery store for about 20 minutes pushing the cart. DH helped too. I have not been in a grocery store for 2 months( other than in the past 2 weeks to hobble in and pick up 1-2 items that I knew were near the front ). So nice to be getting back to most of my normal activities even for a short time ( there is no way I am ready for Costco or Superstore yet as they are way too big).Walking around the neighbourhood is still out although I can cycle for 25 minutes pain free- so nice to get outdoors. I even picked some raspberries and Saskatoon berries in the backyard after shopping, although admittedly bending to pick raspberries made my back hurt-sitting on the grass to pick was easier! Still using my cane and wearing my SI belt to support my SI joint-more physio and prolotherapy shots coming up this week( kerching, kerching) and I am hopeful that by the fall, this injury will be a distant, but expensive memory-sure has been a stubborn one though. Still on some pain killers( I call them pain dullers), but weaning down as I don't wish to become addicted to them.

Now, unfortunately as I get better, my DH has significant pain in his right leg too-I have been unable to convince him to see the Dr or physio-yet.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Sun, Jul 16th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I have two pick ups pending for some stuff. I spent the day putting the house back together and cleaning so it's a good chance to get rid of stuff.
    Natalka, ROMEO, Angela273 and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My pick up for tomorrow has cancelled, hoping they will still go this week as I have few people waiting in line for them. I went back and looked as I was pretty sure I have dealt with this buyer in the past and sure enough when I looked back she seems to have a pattern. She seems to message regarding an item but say she cannot pick up for a few days can you hold the item, then the night before pick up she passes. I will hopefully remember this next time and say I cannot hold the item as 2 other people wanted to pick them up this weekend but I had already agreed to hold. Hopefully one of them is still interested.
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Sassy: I hate that, I have had someone do this twice on a free item. Then I just blocked her. I have also told people if they can't make it when they say they can e transfer the money and that has worked out well.
    Both pick ups happened as they did and even the one that was late message me to let me know.
    Ciel, SassyAshley and dededi like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I couldn't find the free items. Asked the manager at Fortinos and he wasn't aware of the products.
    I couldn't find Maple Cheerios but of course they are everywhere now. I only had one coupon but managed to find the cookie crisp at walmart. I try not to buy too much sugary crap but it's the only kind my teenagers like. I go months of only buying healthier stuff and it just sits there.
    Angela273, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Had a lovely day yesterday -it was hubby's birthday and we had swiss chalet for supper in our home (we treated the kids) and dairy queen ice cream cake -Ashlyn got all excited and wanted papa to open his present-bathing trunks from Costco(they look like shorts ) and a gift card to Canadian tire -my daughter will take us out to supper and treat us she said on Tuesday when Sebastian goes to his other grandparents with his dad.Did one load of laundry today ,just relaxing -my daughter went to visit a friend for the day
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

So happy to not be at work today. Slept in. Did lots of chores. Bathrooms cleaned. Laundry sorted. Kitchen cleaned. Fridge cleaned out and ready for fresh groceries. Garbage and recycling out. Just had a quick shower and going out to get groceries and go to St. Marie among the Hurons. We are buying a season pass for $30 each which is good for every event and general admission to here and Discovery Harbour.
    Tonight I will be posting stuff for sale while doing laundry and cleaning out drawers/closets.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hi all! Very happy with my grocery shop today. Spent under $40 and we are set for lots of great meals this week. Great deals on fresh stuff. Bought romaine, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, grapes, bananas and green onion. Making BLT's tomorrow for lunch for sure! We are going to beach on Wed so will pack us lots of great healthy food. Wednesday night I will be cleaning out the freezer of this and that and make a ceaser salad since both kids like that. Hope everyone has a great week!
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Just a quick frugal update. I might post again tomorrow.

I went to WM this evening to purchase some items. The total was more than I had expected, so I checked over the receipt and SCOPed my bag of green grapes, which rang in at $4.62. It was supposed to be $4.00/kg, but my receipt said $6.55/kg. If I knew it was going to be free, I would have bought a bigger bag of green grapes. I used $11 in coupons and $3.50 from CO51. I bought grapes, cherries, bananas, baby cut carrots, 3 jugs of milk, beef jerky, more summer socks for me, baby wash, and a big box of diapers.

Today we ate the first baby zucchinis from my garden and a handful of peas. It'll be pea season at our house and I'll have to stop little ones from picking skinny pea pods or damaging the plants while trying to help themselves.
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Awake at 5:30 am. Finally gave in and got up at 7. Put out garbage etc and packed all laundry in my SUV. Stopped at work for a minute before the laundromat. Happy to have all the laundry done! Will put away Ina few minutes while DS cleans his room then we are off for some summer fun.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Got some shopping done yesterday - bits and pieces, so not much money which was good!

Hope everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information