User Tag List

Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The canning season began for me this past week with cherry chutney. It smelled so nice as it simmered! The recipe is in the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving, but isn't on their website. A blogger posted it, though, with a slight variation HERE.
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sat, Jul 15th, 2017 at 05:16 PM.
    ROMEO, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That does seem good. Did you use sour or sweet cherries, and how did you pit them (if you used fresh, the sour often come already pitted in tubs).
    macw1960 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I used sweet cherries, and a Starfrit cherry pitter to remove the pits. You can just do an online search for the Starfrit cherry pitter to see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    That does seem good. Did you use sour or sweet cherries, and how did you pit them (if you used fresh, the sour often come already pitted in tubs).
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sat, Jul 15th, 2017 at 05:16 PM.
    ROMEO, macw1960 and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did in fact see the cherry pitter when I looked at the link. So you did get it, eh? How would you rate it?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have done so far this year 19 500ml jars of jams. Rhubarb and strawberry and rhubarb. I am doing 6 more jars of rhubarb on Tuesday and that will conclude my jam making for the season, as I still have 6 strawberry jams from last season that needs used.
    Then I commence with the beets, cukes, and so on. Looking forward to it!!!!
    Natalka, macw1960 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did in fact see the cherry pitter when I looked at the link. So you did get it, eh? How would you rate it?
    I don't know about the Starfrit cherry pitter, but I got a cherry/ olive pitter from Lee Valley for Christmas... I believe it is made in Germany and it works awesome...froze several lbs of sweet cherries last weekend. Definitely recommend! I believe you can order online if you don't have a store nearby
    macw1960, Lavender Lady and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Home hardware has Bernardin 1/2 pint jars on sale 40%off...$6.27. Pm'ed at Canadian tire and used a gift card I had.

made 2 batches of strawberry freezer jam for my mom a couple of weeks ago. This week I canned 2 batches of pickled cauliflower for my mom which will be part of our Christmas gift to her this year. Cauliflower was on sale for $1.99 and had a PC points offer 300 per so was reasonably priced.

saw pint jars of home canned goods at a local farmers market...stewed tomatoes, salsa, applesauce, peaches, pears etc...$5.99 a jar...glad I make my own!
    Colsgirl, macw1960 and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"saw pint jars of home canned goods at a local farmers market...stewed tomatoes, salsa, applesauce, peaches, pears etc...$5.99 a jar...glad I make my own!"

I wouldn't trust it frankly unless I could talk to the person doing the work and get an understanding of their methods. We don't have the guidelines governing home cottage production as they do in the States requiring training etc for this stuff, and I just don't know what assurance I have for those products here other than "blind faith", and some people do a lot of hinky stuff with their home canning.

But you're right, I'd be safe anyway because like you, we do our own for pennies a jar, so wouldn't be buying it anyway :}

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

We really like the Starfrit pitter and it was better quality than we expected (my husband bought it on a whim). It pits 6 cherries at a time. Quite efficient. I'm sure the Lee Valley cherry pitter mentioned above is excellent, too. I love Lee Valley products.

macw1960, dededi and Randal Oulton like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    We really like the Starfrit pitter and it was better quality than we expected (my husband bought it on a whim). It pits 6 cherries at a time. Quite efficient. I'm sure the Lee Valley cherry pitter mentioned above is excellent, too. I love Lee Valley products.
    The lee valley cherry potter us good but it is a single putter. I didn't realize there was one that did 6...obviously that is more efficient, but for the amount I do it is good.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Home hardware has Bernardin 1/2 pint jars on sale 40%off...$6.27. Pm'ed at Canadian tire and used a gift card I had.

made 2 batches of strawberry freezer jam for my mom a couple of weeks ago. This week I canned 2 batches of pickled cauliflower for my mom which will be part of our Christmas gift to her this year. Cauliflower was on sale for $1.99 and had a PC points offer 300 per so was reasonably priced.

saw pint jars of home canned goods at a local farmers market...stewed tomatoes, salsa, applesauce, peaches, pears etc...$5.99 a jar...glad I make my own!
    If you aren't desperate for jars right now, wait until the canning season is just about over, Superstore always reduce them a lot ... I bought for $2 a pack last year and they had about 4 different sizes available.
    macw1960, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Colsgirl View Post
    If you aren't desperate for jars right now, wait until the canning season is just about over, Superstore always reduce them a lot ... I bought for $2 a pack last year and they had about 4 different sizes available.
    Lucky you...I have never found any canning jars on clearance and have not been very lucky with lids either...I keep trying though
    macw1960 and Randal Oulton like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Does anyone have a favourite cherry jam recipe? For canning (not freezer jam) and using sweet cherries rather than sour. I found a simple one that I know is "safety tested" from the Bernardin book, but boy, it calls for a LOT of sugar!
    macw1960 likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I wish we had cherries in Quebec "sigh" I made a half dozen jars of rhubarb orange marmalade this Spring ,Hoping to make some zucchini relish this year.
    macw1960 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did 3 one liter jars of dills today. I have 9 cumber plants so I think I may be busy in August!
    bluerose, macw1960 and scouponer like this.

Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Thread Information