User Tag List

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I did 3 one liter jars of dills today. I have 9 cumber plants so I think I may be busy in August!
    I planted several mini cucumber plants and am shocked at how many cucumber blossoms I have...I think I too will be busy making pickles...with all the things I have canned I have never done pickles! Will have to decide on a recipe
    bluerose, maggiespice and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finishing up 12 pints and 1 1/2 pint of peaches. Didn't take too long about 2 3/4 hours all done and cleaned up. Bought peaches at food basics on Thurs. put in paper bags to ripen and they were perfect ripeness today. Works out to less than $1 jar...compared to store selling them for $6.99 a jar.8 will go to my mom as part of Christmas gift and 4.5 pints will stay here! Getting ready for tomatoes will probably do 100 lbs of stewed tomatoes, tomato soup, vodka sauce and some for veggie soup

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Metro has reg mouth lids on sale $2/$3. Pm'd at Canadian tire and used a gift card so free to me ? Bought 10 pkgs. cheaper than dollarama.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First batch of dill pickles just coming out of the canner. Pretty easy and not too time consuming...and from my own cucumbers. Another batch later when I get more cucumbers!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Finished 4 batches of stewed tomatoes today. Tomorrow will do 4 batches of roasted tomato soup. Made last year and it was fantastic. Sunday will do2-3 batches of veggie soup. This one is very time consuming...house of chopping and peeling veggies. Will have to get dh involved to help out.
    Bought 75 lbs of tomatoes $6.98 for 25 lbs had tomato offer so got 4200 in points as well.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

2 batches of roasted tomato soup done. That maybe all I do of this soup even though it is delicious...took just over 5 hours for a double batch...which only gave me 5 quarts. Lot of work for not much soup!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think my cumbers are just about done for the season. I got 17 jars in all. Beets are next. I did 7 jars of blueberry jam yesterday as well.
    bluerose, Natalka, GoJays and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pickles in canner, just finished last batch of stewed tomatoes..so 75 lbs of tomatoes done! OnSunday dis 21 quarts of vegetable soup..took 12 hours and over 100 cups of chopped veggies. That was a long day! Yesterday DH came home with a huge shopping bag of apples from sister in laws neighbour's tree. Free is good but they are tiny so going to be a ton of work...hoping for a bit of a break before doing apples, beets and potatoes but I guess not.
    bluerose, Natalka, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was at RCSS last night and saw 2 ladies buying 17 boxes of tomatoes.that is 425 lbs. making tomato sauce. In garage they Have an electric tomato grinder thingy and propane burner with a pot capable of holding 12 boxes...300 lbs of tomatoes. They freeze and can their sauce. Now I feel like a slacker!
    bluerose, GoJays and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Did some apple sauce ,apple slices and 8 small jars apple jelly.
    Natalka, ROMEO, walkonby and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Was at RCSS last night and saw 2 ladies buying 17 boxes of tomatoes.that is 425 lbs. making tomato sauce. In garage they Have an electric tomato grinder thingy and propane burner with a pot capable of holding 12 boxes...300 lbs of tomatoes. They freeze and can their sauce. Now I feel like a slacker!
    I am seriously So jealous! @scouponer I wish I had the energy, the equipment and the space to do all that! What a great feeling it must be for them to process that much. I recall when sc member @Patty Smyth bought a machine and was able to process plenty very quickly. I did not do any this year.
    scouponer likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went and picked a ton of apples from bil and sil's neighbours tree. Did first batch of applesauce on Sunday, 3 or 4 more batches to go. Can't beat free apples! Trying to fit in all my canning between getting my moms house ready for sale. After apples comes beets then potatoes then I am done...maybe.
    dededi likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Did 10 quarts of dill pickles yesterday - now up to 40 quarts. (I make up to 100 quarts of dills a year.) Don't know if anybody else does them this way but is has worked for my mom and for me for the past +30 years, we use hot brine made with PICKLING vinegar, fill jars to the top, screw on tops and place in cooler and fill cooler with hottest water from tap and place lid on cooler. Let sealers sit in hot water for 20 minutes. Pull out jars and let sit on counter overnight. I drain the hot water to fill the sink and wash everything up.
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    Did 10 quarts of dill pickles yesterday - now up to 40 quarts. (I make up to 100 quarts of dills a year.) Don't know if anybody else does them this way but is has worked for my mom and for me for the past +30 years, we use hot brine made with PICKLING vinegar, fill jars to the top, screw on tops and place in cooler and fill cooler with hottest water from tap and place lid on cooler. Let sealers sit in hot water for 20 minutes. Pull out jars and let sit on counter overnight. I drain the hot water to fill the sink and wash everything up.

Dagney, I have never heard of canning this way before. What I used to do is Open Kettle canning, but I no longer do this, as it is not safe and I had way too many seal failures. It was just a waste of time and money. It took me some years to learn, but now all my canning is done with the highest safety procedures followed to a tee.
    walkonby, scouponer and dededi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I only do dill pickles this way. Everything else I process for 20 minutes in a canner. I watched "how it is made" - tv segment on hot pickled beans brand that are on every grocery store shelf. For the pickles beans they simply filled the jars with beans and hot vinegar mixture, sealed jars and turned the jars upside down. No hot water bath at all. So assuming the vinegar and pickling salt is the preservative.
    ROMEO and dededi like this.

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Thread Information