User Tag List

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    I only do dill pickles this way. Everything else I process for 20 minutes in a canner. I watched "how it is made" - tv segment on hot pickled beans brand that are on every grocery store shelf. For the pickles beans they simply filled the jars with beans and hot vinegar mixture, sealed jars and turned the jars upside down. No hot water bath at all. So assuming the vinegar and pickling salt is the preservative.
    In the quantities used in home canning, salt is NOT a safety preservative. You'd have to basically fill the jars with nothing but salt and turn those pickles into mini versions of Lot's wife if you wanted salt to be your safety agent there.

The safety agent is heat processing. Without heat processing, moulds can grow in the vinegar -- they don't mind acidity at all. As moulds grow, they lower the acidity, and when the acidity gets below 4.6 pH, then any botulism spores present can spring to life. That is how people can, and do, get botulism (as well as other food poisonings) from unprocessed jars of homemade pickles. The most recent outbreak of botulism from a jar of pickles made the way you describe was in Arizona in 2014.

Turning the jars upside down -- "inversion canning" -- has been actively recommended against by all professionals since 1941. http://www.healthycanning.com/inversion-canning/

Home canning is a science, not an art, and it's important to keep up with the latest recommendations, using only tested recipes from reputable sources.
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Thu, Sep 7th, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
    maggiespice, walkonby and dededi like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

>> " fill jars to the top, screw on tops and place in cooler and fill cooler with hottest water from tap and place lid on cooler."

That's a modern variation on "horsetrough canning." (Not making this up.) They would put the jars in a horsetrough, fill the trough with kettles of boiling water, then cover it all with hay and old newspapers, let sit overnight, and call it "canned." It actually is not canning at all, because no proper heat processing has taken place.
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Thu, Sep 7th, 2017 at 01:59 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Finished all the applesauce now onto beets. 1/2 of 10 lb bag of pickled beets in canner. Then will finish up the rest will,probably get 12-14 pints. 20 lbs of potatoes waiting. $1.67 for 10 lbs can't beat that price.
    walkonby likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Finished all the applesauce now onto beets. 1/2 of 10 lb bag of pickled beets in canner. Then will finish up the rest will,probably get 12-14 pints. 20 lbs of potatoes waiting. $1.67 for 10 lbs can't beat that price.
    $1.67 is amazingly good, best I've ever seen is $1.99. I saw the $1.67 price in the Food Basics flyer that came this week, but I really wasn't sure what size bag they were saying that price applied to.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Potatoes in fab flyer are 10 lbs but beets were only 5 lb bags so beets are cheaper at RCSS. They still had quite a few 25 lb. boxes of tomatoes. Tempted but have a lot of other things to do.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A friend gave me about 25 lbs of beets today!!!!! I have beets coming out of my ears. I am going to do several jars of apple cider vinegar beets, and then freeze some as well tomorrow....I thought my canning was over for the season, as I did so much, but to be honest I am really looking forward to this!
    ROMEO, Angela273, GoJays and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow that's a lot of free beets. Have fun...beets are so messy!...or maybe I am messy!
    GoJays likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I made pickled beets.
    And I canned strawberry, raspberry and blueberry pie filling, thanks to Clear Gel from Amazon.
    I have big plans for apples too, but they're just starting here.
    Attachment 335047 Attachment 335048Attachment 335049
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

@nicolthepickle - can you share your recipe for pickled beets?
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Broke my stove canning potatoes. Accidentally flooded the stovetop while parboiling potatoes. Water and computer are not friends. Burners still work but not oven...this could get expensive

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Making some more apple jelly & Love this idea also Homemade apple pectin.

https://www.thespruce.com/homemade-apple-pectin-1327832
    Newfiescreech and ROMEO like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Broke my stove canning potatoes. Accidentally flooded the stovetop while parboiling potatoes. Water and computer are not friends. Burners still work but not oven...this could get expensive
    Oh, sicken! Sorry to hear that- a canning nightmare for sure.

Scouponer, just a quick question for you, if your oven was a glass cook top would that have made a difference in protecting the oven part, or was it just so much water that it would not have mattered? I have a glass top and when something spill over there is a little lip that keeps liquids on the top.
    Last edited by maggiespice; Thu, Sep 14th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Newfiescreech and ROMEO like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    @nicolthepickle - can you share your recipe for pickled beets?
    I can't actually, it was my Mother in law's recipe and I didn't write it down. Sorry. I know it had sugar, pickling spices, vinegar and salt. That's it, but I don't know the amounts. And we canned it all hot, no water bath.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Oh no!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    Oh, sicken! Sorry to hear that- a canning nightmare for sure.

Scouponer, just a quick question for you, if your oven was a glass cook top would that have made a difference in protecting the oven part, or was it just so much water that it would not have mattered? I have a glass top and when something spill over there is a little lip that keeps liquids on the top.
    i don't know..there was a lot if water and a bad placement for the computer controlled panel. No water went into the oven surprisingly as there is a hole that leads into their oven. It took seven and a half hours but eventually the control panel dried out. Plus all the heat from canning dried things up so when the stove cooled down and the computer panel came back on the error code was gone and everything worked! Whew I was very worried that I would have to replace the panel. DH wants to replace ithe stove with one that is more canning friendly ie no computer panel on the front of the stove that overheats and shuts down the panel so no oven available, plus one that you can actually use the self cleaning feature without breaking the oven sensor. But I hope it will last until I can do a total kitchen renovation and maybe get a bigger stove. Anyways I obviously had a brain fart and had way too much water in the pot. Will be more conscious of this next time. With all that boiling water going everywhere I am lucky I didn't burn more than my finger.

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread Information