User Tag List

Page 289 of 1954 FirstFirst ... 189 239 279 287 288 289 290 291 299 339 389 789 1289 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 29298
Like Tree118407Likes

Thread: Chat-a-Thon 2017-18 Thread!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Good morning!!

Still glued to CNN, watching their reports on Irma, and praying for anyone in her path.
    SO frightening when a young woman, reporting from Miami beach very nearly got hit by a falling sign!!
    Get those people off the streets, it's not worth an Emmy!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    @Lynn49 the worst part about the people staying behind is the risk that they force others to take in the name of their safety. I think the emergency workers should be able to get out as well. No one needs to try and be bigger than this storm.
    A lot of people are either physically or financially unable to leave.

Dear Non-Floridians,
    Rules when discussing the hurricane with Floridians:
    1) Calling people who don't evacuate "idiots" or saying "they deserve what happens to them" is a judgement statement that without facts, you are not qualified to make.
    We live in a state that is not the 'Spring Breakers' idea you have in your mind. We have more 55 plus communities than you can imagine. Elderly who can't drive because of age, or leave because of finances. A lot of our elderly, don't have "blood family" so they are relying on their "God made" family. We aren't leaving our grandmas and grandpas behind alone to face Irma. They need younger people right now to make sure they have what they need to survive this storm and the devastation. Most of them have pets that are as old as they are. Just like your kids would be your priority, their furry companions are theirs.
    2) Just go get a plane ticket! (You can't just fly out.) Don't make statements or give advice on how we should evacuate. You don't have the slightest knowledge of what we are up against. There are challenges to leaving. Flights out are being changed, cancelled, delayed. Tickets are $2-3,000 higher than they normally are. To fly out of Florida today, if you got a flight, one-way, could cost about 3,000.00
    3) Don't say "Get in your car and drive fast out"
    A) Gas stations are getting fuel still, but that fuel is gone before the lines are empty.
    B. ) There is no driving fast. Cars are moving 5-7 mph on highways trying to get to safety. The lines are long and imagine, with a gas shortage, being stuck on highways in jams for 12-15 hours.
    4) Florida has one way out, and that is through the top (Northern) part of the state. There are basically 2 major roads out. Those roads are jammed, backed up, and not expected to change.
    5) To post "Florida is about to be wiped off the map" because you are watching the news reports and panicking from 3,000 miles away- is not the most uplifting thing for us to see. Plus, don't speak your devastation to us. Be positive!
    6) "If I lived in Florida, I would have evacuated a week ago." Well I'm not so sure that you would have. It's not that simple if you have a heart...not only that, you don't know until the final days which path the storm is going to take. Homes have to be boarded up. Things have to be done to ensure that if you do leave, you have somewhere to return. Then after our homes are secured, we again...have elderly who need their homes secured. So I'd say if you were here, you wouldn't leave so fast.
    7.) "Go to a safer part of the state." Yes, we thought of that. No one knows exactly what part that is. If Irma takes a turn it could hit the west coast- if we are all fleeing to the west coast because it says the east coast is the most dangerous, then that could be costly. We know what we need to do and we are monitoring the situation.
    Feel Free to check on us, text us, call us. But, don't text your fears of our demise. Don't call us crying because you are scared for us.
    We have a storm to conquer. As warriors we need to be healthy, mentally and physically.
    When your son or daughter or friend gets ready to go play in a competitive sport ... before the game, do you call them and say ....
    "you are going to lose"
    "don't show up for the game"
    "The odds are against you"
    I would hope not... while we are preparing to overcome this storm, please send us encouragement! We welcome it! If you are going to do anything less than that, turn your TV or radio off and keep your lips zipped. Amen!
    Stay safe, love and help your neighbors.
    Newfiescreech, cabmonk and dededi like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@Darth Penguin, I don't think any of us were calling the people who were "unable" to leave but due to circumstances beyond their control, had to stay behind "idiots"!
    The idiots were the ones who COULD leave but CHOOSE to stay, KNOWING they were facing a Cat 5 storm on a boat!

Provisions WERE made for the elderly (many of whom were moved twice), all homes, apartments were knocked on and the residents asked what help they needed to evacuate. As far as 'furry pets" are concerned, they were welcomed at the shelters or provisions were made for them.

Anyone who was watching the news could actually see the line-up of cars so I doubt anyone thought they could just "gun it" out of town. They could also see crowded airports, so I sure hope no one thought it would be easy to simply fly out.

The person who posted that drivel seems to have some personal issues to explore, rather than tossing everyone into the same pot. There WERE idiots who didn't want to leave! They were interviewed and knew the risks, but many of those "conch" republicans, as they call themselves, were prepared to sit back with a beer or two on their little 50' boats and ride out a Cat 5 storm. Idiots isn't a strong enough word for people who put the safety of their loved ones in harm's way and probably expect first responders to drag them out of the ocean as soon as they called 911.

That article is absolutely unfair to the majority of people who are genuinely concerned and frightened, and to post that because @lilo0003 watched those idiots claim that they were safe on their "dingys" and express her concern for first responders who would be at risk simply isn't fair.

There ARE idiots out there.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Sep 10th, 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @Lynn49 oh that is so tragic! In Aug of 2011 a retired postie I had worked with for a few years was also struck while riding his bike and he too died, he was 84 and the motorist was 81 and was never charged.
    @Natalka that is terrific news about getting in to see the family Dr. he sounds like a no nonsense practitioner. Hope you can get some different sleeping aids to help with the insomnia.
    You are right about the weight loss, certainly not a brag because your health was at risk. Once you and the Dr. can figure out the particular issues that have you not tasting anything ( and remove them ) then you can probably look forward to enjoying eating with pleasure once again.

My kitchen smells like cauliflower pizza!! Made up 7 of them this morning. Different twist this time, liberally brushed pesto sauce all over the crusts, then I used a smaller amount of the red pizza sauce, topped with sauteed chx breast pieces instead of pepperoni, and the rest was all assorted diced veggies, scant layer of grated Mozz. on the top. I'll slice and freeze most of it, but just had to enjoy 3 small slices for my brekkie!

Hi walkonby..wow your busy as bee cooking up wonderful meals for your family..cauliflower pizza sure Sounds soooo yummy ..i read your posting and i get sooo hungry 😋.. hope your weekend wasn't all dealing with kitchen cooking up storm ..take extra care yourself sweetie
    22hicks, Lynn49, cabmonk and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Good morning folks.
    Drive in this morning wasn't bad at all...a few minor hiccups along the way causing a bit of a slow down, but nothing major worth noting.

Back to a regular 5 day work week.
    Have a wonderful day peeps!

Back later.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning everyone.
    Name:  1dfcd2f1ec1965d56a7c63b4b3a693c6.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  47.0 KB

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

top of the mornin to you dan and dededi!
    Such a lovely crisp day out there! Sweater weather for some, but I pulled open the kitchen window early to let the cats out into their cat house enclosure. I find the coolness gives me a burst of energy.

However, no cooking anything today...lol. I did up a very late night meal of beef ribs, spuds and carrots for the guys for work today.
    With all of my playing around over the weekend with cauliflower pizza and various soups I had totally forgotten I had the 3 slabs of ribs in the back of fridge that I was supposed to make.

They came home quite late from seeing that dreadful movie IT ( I passed on going because I prefer to sleep at night without nightmares ) and they were thrilled I had the meal all good to go.
    I took advantage of them them by delegating them to fill their containers, place the rest of the stuff in the fridge and do the final cleanup as I toddled off to bed.
    Worked for me...lol.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I just woke up!! Now THAT'S a good night's sleep!! Sheesh!!
    Off to grab a coffee...DH is home, not golfing after the weekend tournament.

Have a really wonderful day, everyone!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning, very chilly in the house now, ick.

Hope you all have a lovely day!

Gee, 16 years ago....

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

And so, another week begins. I hope it's a good one for each of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Hope everyone has a good week. I didn't sleep much because of a mouse running around my tiny place. I haven't heard any in months and thought I had everything very well sealed up. Anyway today I went and got some traps, I'll see what happens.

I remember 9/11 because I was working overnights at a hotel in Vancouver. I turned the tv on and tuned to cnn as I normally do because of the US guests. People having breakfast, probably 70% being American stared at the tv in shock. After I left work I went home and kept watching the news.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Name:  IMG_1870.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  70.7 KB

16 years ago ..everything was crazy here in Newfoundland..got call to go door to door in community..looking for bedding , clothing etc .for those stranded people and make their stay comfortable as possible ..some people never heard of Newfoundland before until this happen.. im sure those people made great memories and good friends.
    Natalka, 22hicks, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello folks!
    I have to say a big "Thank-you" to those of you who have been offering their best to my step-son and his mom who stayed in Tampa. They were safe and could not even hear the storm. I was afraid in case of a storm surge which would have not been good.
    Even his apartment was not affected and didn't lose power. A big relief and miraculous from my point of view.

@hicks22 - my thoughts go out to you as you attended Silly Loocie' s memorial and your visit to your husband's grave. Hugs to you.
    Natalka, I am glad you are feeling somewhat better and hope your doctor's plan is going well.
    Flemeth - I read part of your post about coming to Waterloo to visit your daughter. It reminded me of the year I went off to graduate school. My parents delivered me to London from Chatham on a Friday. School started on the following Monday.
    By Saturday I was so lonely that I called home and my dad came back to pick me up. I had already GRADUATED from 4 years away but I wanted to go HOME! ( for 2 more days.)
    Walks, I finished off my marvellous chicken stew that I made yesterday. Last December and at one of the worst times,) I cooked up some chicken breasts and legs and froze them.

Well I thawed them on Saturday and had THE WORSE TASTING bland meal I had ever eaten. Well, not to be discouraged, I threw in all kinds of seasonings and herbs and vegetables and rice. Chicken once, Chicken twice. "Something" Cicken Soup With Rice. So yesterday we had it for supper.
    It was delish!! Maybe my cooking prowess is about to change.

Sorting out family photos to hang up. Lots of duplicates between my brother and I. What does one do with lovely photos that you can't use? Like 8X10s?

Take care people!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

avon, so glad your stepson and mom are okay!

Thread Information