• 1 Post By luckbealady
  • 2 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By endi2000

Thread: Interior Paint - Help!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Okay, I think I went a little too in depth with my research, and now I've just managed to stress myself out.

I am planning on repainting my bedroom walls.

They are currently a milk chocolate colour. I'd like to go to a lighter gray (maybe dove gray).

I'm at a loss of what brand of paint to pick. I HATE painting - the last time I painted it took me 2 weeks because I kept stopping because I hate it so much - and the room is only 11'x14'.

I like the concept of the paint in primer in one, but I don't trust the coverage. I'm prepared to do a primer coat before I paint (hopefully just one coat). I'm also okay with spending more on a quality paint that will mean fewer coats.

I'm pretty sure the last time I painted I used Benjamin Moore. I was planning to use that again, but I read some reviews that the formula has changed and it's not as good as it used to be.

Once the walls are painted, the furniture put in the room won't be moving around, so I'm not too concerned about stains/scratches after that. No kids, and the only animal in the house shouldn't be near the walls.

Any reviews would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My favourite paint is Pittsburgh.. I tried many different kinds ..one I keep going back too all time .. last one I tried was behr paint . Cost $48.00 for one can paint ..prime walls one day .. waited 24 hours before using main color on bedroom walls . it didn't look good ..went back got another can paint another $48.00 and still looks terrible.. lady said ..buy can grey primer and prime walls again and it would bring colour out brighter .. it was terrible after it was painted .. so off to paint store again and purchase Pittsburgh paint and it look awesome.. it's my old faithful paint .. just my opinion .. have fun painting.. I'm like you hate hate painting.. soon be time start painting in September.. I sooner be kicked in butt then paint lol have fun and enjoy 🍷🍸
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well, I only got one response to my question, but thought I'd update this thread anyway.

I couldn't find a Pittsburgh paint dealer near me, so I went with Benjamin Moore Aura in Matte.

The cost did make me cringe, coming in around $150 for 2 gallons (I used about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4) - BUT it actually went on really well (I followed the instructions on the Benjamin Moore website). Took 2 coats, but I was super proud of myself because I did get it completed in one day.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is that it turns out my patching job was not as amazing as I thought it was. Luckily, you can only really see the imperfections under direct light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Since you went from a darker colour to a lighter colour, your painting job went well! I'd probably have suggested a primer coat then a primer & paint in one.

But my current experience with (Lowes) Valspar Signature satin finish in a light cream (paint and primer in one) required two coats to get the light green (old paint) to look like the light cream on the paint card. Just waiting for another sale (hoping it's this Thursday) to get a second small can and get my baseboards and closet done by Saturday. I used the last of my first small can (I had a pail for the walls and ceiling-first coat and a bit of second) yesterday to get half the baseboards and the trim over radiator coated first time.
    cath007 and luckbealady like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    Well, I only got one response to my question, but thought I'd update this thread anyway.

I couldn't find a Pittsburgh paint dealer near me, so I went with Benjamin Moore Aura in Matte.

The cost did make me cringe, coming in around $150 for 2 gallons (I used about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4) - BUT it actually went on really well (I followed the instructions on the Benjamin Moore website). Took 2 coats, but I was super proud of myself because I did get it completed in one day.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is that it turns out my patching job was not as amazing as I thought it was. Luckily, you can only really see the imperfections under direct light.
    You choose the best paint out there. After painting various rooms in our homes over 47 years, we won't use anything else now, so it's not the paint, sorry to say.
    I love spackling, and you're right...it's not easy to tell what it'll look like until its painted. If you can live with it, then yay. If not, do a little sanding and repaint. But.....I'd leave well enough alone.
    Ciel and luckbealady like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My patch job by the window was rather like looking at someone's dough pushed into the wall. New paint over the patch minimizes the lousy patch but it's better than seeing cracks and chipped paint.

The matte white Armor coat radiator spray paint mostly covered the prior light green paint though I can still see a tinge. Prefer the matte look over gloss. If I can get a sanding disk for the electric sander next spring, I may see if I can smooth out my manual sanding and re -paint the unit. Otherwise, it has that textured but painted look for now. I'd love to do the same thing to the main floor bathroom radiator but not while Dad is at home.
    luckbealady likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry - only been doing a few responses over the last little while - but you chose the absolute best option. Benjamin Moore. Yes - the price does seem steep - but even their ccontractor grade covers the best I have seen. We had several rentals over the years and always bought their 5 gallon cans - which worked out a lot cheaper than the individual gallons. This time, we had them add a bit of colour to one of the big cans we had left - to paint one of the rooms in the new house - and then went back to get a couple if their 'mistints' to paint the walls that haven't seen a likck of paint for MANY years. Looks so much fresher - finished it all off with a brand new cordless blind that we picked up at the Restore store (Habitat for Humanity store) for $25 (and no tax)

God job luckbealady!
    Ciel and luckbealady like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Thread Information