User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Do you want to check the status of your Income Tax Refund ?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

That time of the year is coming up soon
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

CRA doesn't start processing returns till after February 15 . And even the NETFILE doesn't open until after February 15.

So doesn't matter when you mail in your tax return or when you are ready to NETFILE online with a tax software, you will have to wait till after February 15.

Generally paper returns, which are mailed in take 4-6 weeks to be processed. And NETFILED online returns 8-10 business days. i.e If everything is in order, there are no mistakes, audits etc.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Tax software should be out soon.

Lot of FREE options available, so no need to pay for them.

Usually better to use 2 Free ones and make sure both the numbers tally. Sometimes the software makes a mistake too.

Last year UFILE & Turbo Tax both were giving me different refunds ! They were off by at least a couple of hundred dollars

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

$200 difference? Wow.
    I'll jot down to pursue the paper returns around mid-February.

Good time to remind public transit users that they can claim monthly pass tax credits for Jan-June 2017 only (PRESTO users have to have registered their cards in order to access reports to print off for tax purposes). Not certain how student postsecondary bus passes work but likely there can be a claim for the six months if the colleges/university student associations offer 8-month (claim Jan-Apr)or 12-month (Jan-June; found out a local university is now providing 12 month passes and I missed that announcement) transit passes as part of the student fees.

I recall in December that newspapers were reporting that CRA was not denying diabetes expense claims but advocates for the tax credits referenced a CRA memo that seemed to indicate that claims were not going to be eligible for 2017. If this credit applies to your situation, I suggest you submit your claim. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-suggests.html

From the CRA site-nurse practitioners can certify the disability tax credit certificate. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...rtificate.html

BTW, the CRA site redirection to the Canada.ca is only temporary. It'd have been lovely if Canada.ca/cra was used rather than revenue-agency.html as the address.
    This is the new website for all matters tax-related (CRA):
    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In case you did not know, the Auditor-General has noticed that calls to the CRA did not always get answered. Plan for a long wait just in case you stay on the line.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Turbo tax is already out here in Newfoundland..i purchase one yesterday at walmart
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Most tax slips should start arriving next month

NETFILE should open on February 15, 2018 . Usually in 10 days or so you will get your refund if you file online.

Lot of FREE software available, so take advantage of that.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Remind the post-secondary family & friends to put into their smartphones or planners that they have to print off their tuition slips from their school's e-portals at the end of February. And they can check earlier just before they have Reading Week and go wherever they plan to be that week and give you an update if the slips might be in.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Next week the Physical Booklets & Forms should be available in SDM & Canada Post outlets, Public libraries etc.

In case you want to file taxes the old fashioned way with pen & mail it in

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Are the physical tax booklets in at SDM - Canada Post ? I do mine online, but asking for someone else.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Next week the Physical Booklets & Forms should be available in SDM & Canada Post outlets, Public libraries etc.

In case you want to file taxes the old fashioned way with pen & mail it in
    No, they won't be available until the end of Feb or early March. I was at my local store yesterday for stamps and there
    was a sign at the front of the queue tape. Wonder if some CRA person has been getting short-paid on the Phoenix system (thus leading to form errors). But I appreciate the notice about the printing error on the forms.
    Newfiescreech and tjthemanto like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw the latest tax forms update at my local post office-the forms should be in post offices on Feb. 26. For those filers who filed by forms last year, the forms will be mailed to them by Feb. 26.
    This will be interesting.
    Newfiescreech and Grey like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Saw the latest tax forms update at my local post office-the forms should be in post offices on Feb. 26. For those filers who filed by forms last year, the forms will be mailed to them by Feb. 26.
    This will be interesting.
    Oh so they are mailing them ( forms ) again to people , who did paper returns last year ? That's good, so paper filers won't have to go in snow and pick them up

Last year they didn't mail them to people, who had filed paper returns the previous year. So must be something new this year.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT : Yeah this year they will be automatically mailing the forms & packages to people who did a paper return last year . Even those who didn't do a paper return last year, if they want they can order the forms/package home if they want.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ax-return.html

By mail

If you filed your tax return on paper last year, you will receive a 2017 General Income Tax and Benefits Guide and forms book in the mail by February 26, 2018.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Wed, Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My tax package came in yesterday's mail. Completed my return (no slips to wait on) so it's going to the post office today. Spot on 30g-one P stamp!
    Funnily, Hamilton part of Hamilton-Niagara is now getting its returns directed to Winnipeg for processing (per addressed envelope provided in package).

OK-line 364 for public transit amount in the personal tax credits section of the income tax return. Those of you who had a monthly transit pass anytime during Jan-June 2017 can claim a tax credit for those passes. Only Seniors can apply for a transit pass credit for purchases from July 2017 to Dec 2017.

@avoncallingu -line 256 is about a 50% reduction for US social security benefits if you meet three conditions. Just wanted to point it out in case you were able to get those benefits in 2017 that will be claimed on your tax return for 2017.https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...gn-income.html

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thanks,Ciel! You're always so helpful!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information