User Tag List

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Candini
  • 6 Post By maggiespice
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By nikolesen
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: So I`m trying to get rid of birds...

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I live in a condo and there is an eavestrough attached to my balcony to contain water with a downspout.

Well for several years there are sparrows who sneak in and nest, have babies, it's a endless cycle.

I`ve asked my super to do something about it, put up mesh, anything, he won`t because HE likes them.

They crap all over the place, they ruin my patio furniture (Okay I`m done sounding like a bitter old woman)

I want to get rid of them - not hurt or kill them, just, deter them from coming to my balcony.

I don`t want shiny dangly tin foil contraptions hanging anywhere around or a fake stuffed owl.

Help!! Suggestions!?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, Ciel and dededi like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had Robins nesting underneath my deck a couple of years ago. They were lovely, but really messy and stuff so I had to deter them as well.

What I did was got plastic and wrapped the area where they were nesting. Oh, momma did not like that. She tried her all to get under the plastic, but she could not. She did not come back the next year as I kept the plastic up for about a year and a half, just to be on the safe side, because this little girl was persistent!!! I took the plastic off last August when I restained my deck.

Yes, the plastic was a little unsightly, but it did the job. If they can't nest the birds will eventually move on.

Good luck!
    ROMEO, Ciel, Candini and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

What about decals used to warn off birds from glass windows? Might scare the sparrows away. You have balcony glass doors or windows? https://www.amazon.ca/Birds-Choice-B.../dp/B001QIVXW4
    ROMEO likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Though mostly people use trap to catch the birds but this is not a solution. An other amazing idea is to hang a cd or mirror in your balcony. The reflection will force birds to fly that place. If it does not work then contact bird control company.
    ROMEO and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

An owl statue supposedly scares birds from gardens but not sure how to advise adapting that bit for an eavestrough.

I read that one skyscraper in Texas on a stormy night killed about 359 birds and there were three birds found alive that were sent to rehab. Migration season and lights in skyscrapers are ongoing issues.

Since the weekend of Easter, there is one bird that has taken a liking to tapping a stepladder step a few times at a go. Darn bird. I need to find my tennis ball and take aim. Sibling thinks bird is scaring insects but I say it's found a new toy-a loud one that has not taken its beak off yet.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, May 10th, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
    GoJays likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you can use bird slopes that attached to the areas of your home where birds can usually find purchase, and it keeps them from being able to sit down and rest.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cats. The cat can scare the birds!
    Last edited by MrLead; Tue, Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: correction

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Posters of the grumpy cat or get a scarecrow. 10/10 birdies would fly away

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Use anti-roosting spike strips. You can attach these to just about any spot that a bird might want to perch, such as the roof of a house. Buy spikes at the hardware store or garden centers. Attach according to the manufacturer's instructions.A smoother alternative is to use a “Slinky” toy, available from department and toy stores. Spread it out along the handrail of a balcony, with the coils not more than 1 1⁄2 inches (3.8 cm) apart. Wire it (or use duct tape) in place every 8⁄12 inch (1.7 cm). The pigeons hate it because it makes the surface uncomfortable for them to land on.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you live in a condo - there are rules as to what can be attached to the building (I know, the birds don't know that). But if your landlord won't do anything, find out who is on the board and write a letter to them AND your landlord - pointing out that these birds may be doing more that is damaging or defacing the building (their stuff may be staining the finish on the building - because they are building nests in the trough - water may be seeping under the eave etc) and you would like some help in deterring this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bird droppings contain pathogenic fungi and bacteria that can cause Histoplasmosis, Chlamydiosis, Cryptococcosis, Salmonellosis and other lung diseases. You can buy a cat to scare those sparrows off. If you are not fond of cats try to find the solution here. Hope it will come in handy.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Or you can scare them off with some shiny stuff. For example, old CD's are good for this purpose.

Thread Information