User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
Like Tree1908Likes

Thread: Our friend Natalka

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

@Natalka -you are a mom with a heart of gold and your son(and DH) love you dearly for it--you are special .
    To us to! Thanks for the update.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks again for the updates.I can understand why you want to function full tilt as do I,but then we both pay for it afterwards.
    Just do what you can rather than want to do and with time you will get stronger and be able to do more.I say this as much for me as I do for you.
    Prayer offered for all concerned.
    Newfiescreech, Natalka and Ciel like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Skippy, that's all so very true...

I had a busy two days with the community physiotherapist here for a visit Monday morning, then the occupational therapist here Tuesday morning.

Amazing physiotherapist, she was here an hour and a half! (what was awful was that she came about 20 minutes after Taffy cat passed away... she asked if I wanted to reschedule, but I said no) She evaluated my walking and balance - she had brought a walker/cane for me to try - it's wonderful and gives SO much support which I need, however there just isn't room to use it comfortably in this darned house. She had also brought a cane with a base/four legs - I had tried one in the hospital and it was way too heavy, but this one isn't. However, it's wobbly but does give more support - so she left it with me to try until next week, when she'll come again.

Gosh we went through so many things - exercises, not just for my legs/quads, but also for my back and arms. A goal is to get me to the cardiac program - but there are obstacles. Once there, I would be fine, but it's getting there. A few things in the way - if I use the Access Transit, she said drivers will only help 'sometimes', it's not a given. They can't physically help the person, but it would be like in my case, helping get my walker on with me. The other thing is at the facility itself - from where the drop-off point is, the physiotherapist said it's about 100m to where the program is - and I can't do that length. Well, yes I could with the walker and many rests, but then I'd be totalled and be useless to do the program.

So what she is having me do is to write down and track every day exactly how much I am walking/moving - literally, how many times I walk from the bedroom to the bathroom, from the kitchen to where the computer is, etc.

The occupational therapist was awesome as well, spent about an hour here. Whereas the physio is focused more on my mobility, the OT's focus is on practicality of living. She checked out the bathroom set-up, and will try to come up with some sort of solution to get me in the tub - it's a small clawfoot tub, but very high. For a normal bathtub, there's a seat with an extended board one uses, but this is more of a challenge, plus there's not a lot of space beside the tub anyways.

She examined the kitchen and the living room - giving lots of suggestions on how to make things easier, and some how-to's. The real solution is for us to move, which we know, so she'll investigate some housing - for which there's a huge waiting list anyway.

Sorry this is so long, but just wanted you to know that community support is out there, and I'm very grateful for it all. It is nice to have someone check up on me, just so I know how things are going from a professional's eyes.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

It would appear that you are in good hands with the therapists.Hoping and praying you continue to progress well.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So I am pooped right now, the physiotherapist was here. She had me do a series of exercises, mostly to strengthen leg muscles and work on endurance. I also need to practice standing. I had felt so bad when she was leaving, I walked her to the front door - so was standing and talking, but I got dizzy - she said I went grey - and had to make my way to a chair. She was worried I was going to pass out. Seems as though that's from my blood pressure, but I also hadn't had any lunch and it was 2 p.m. already, and I hadn't eaten anything since very early morning.

She checked my legs/stockings - turns out I'm able to have double the pairs I was told at the hospital, not one pair every six months, but two. She also ensured my husband was doing a good job putting them on - which he is, it's not an easy job.

She's wondering whether I should have a wheelchair for use in the house that I would propel with my legs, so I need to think about that. We're just stuck in this space for now, and the cane doesn't seem to be enough for me.

If we can find room, she'll bring an arm bicycle which will help with my cardio.

We covered other things as well, she's quite amazing and I'm very grateful for her.

The occupational therapist came earlier in the week, she's a whole different banana. She's nice, but I'm not sure about some of her suggestions/ideas.

She brought a board to try out for the tub, but it didn't fit. She has one more that she will bring to try next time she comes.
    About housing, she's got some ideas and we'll see where those go. There is also the possibility of me getting a scooter once we are living somewhere it can be used, and the cost may be covered by a foundation - but that's in the future.

We talked about some kitchen/cooking practicalities, and also for self-care.

Found out there is a care co-ordinator for all of this, she has just been on holidays. She will come here Monday to do an assessment of me.

It's been a hard week - the last few days my legs were very bad and I had a lot of trouble walking. Thank goodness I was in better shape today when the PT was here, and was able to do all of the exercises well - except she's not thrilled with my walking. Yeah, I know...

I'm just so very blessed to have these therapists in my life at this time - I hadn't expected it, and it's very wonderful. It's work, but it's good!

Thanks to you all again for your support and good wishes!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the update! Keep on plugging away at what you need to do and change will come.
    Continued prayer offered.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hope you are improving each day.Continued prayer offered for you and yours.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Sounds like you have some wonderful therapists. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my goodness nat, so busy but of course everything will help, just the time
    it takes before you feel better.
    very sorry to hear about taffy
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hi there Natalka!
    Just wondering how you are doing these days?
    Take care of yourself!
    Newfiescreech and DaveP like this.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread Information