• 3 Post By alicia

Thread: Sofabed or futon

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i currently have a futon
    i use to have sofabeds
    i find the futon more comfortable
    but the hinges are starting to break

where is the best affordable place to buy a sofabed?
    don't recommend the brick

what do you prefer? sofabed or futon

twalk amongst yourselves!
    This thread is currently associated with: The Brick
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:19 AM.
    frugal50 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I've slept on some pretty high end sofa beds and they all sucked. Plus they are heavy/hard to move and hard to get rid of because charities don't like them because of the weight (they can't get rid of them either)

Futons, I would say they have a definite life span before they are all compacted and hard...but at least they are easier to move and fit in a dumpster.

If I had to buy something that was going to be used as both a couch and a bed from time to time, I would buy a cloth sofa (not sofa bed) that had really deep seating.
    I agree, they both suck. What about a day bed?
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I've slept on some pretty high end sofa beds and they all sucked. Plus they are heavy/hard to move and hard to get rid of because charities don't like them because of the weight (they can't get rid of them either)

Futons, I would say they have a definite life span before they are all compacted and hard...but at least they are easier to move and fit in a dumpster.

If I had to buy something that was going to be used as both a couch and a bed from time to time, I would buy a cloth sofa (not sofa bed) that had really deep seating.
    thanks i agree!
    i think I'll stick with my futon
    disposing or selling a sofabed would be a pain in the a$$
    i only sleep on it during the summer months anyway........
    - H. H. Getter

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

What about seeing if you can get replacement hinges? Maybe there is a chance to get better or aftermarket ones? See if you can search online for the company listed on your futon's tag or label.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What about something that is inbetween both of those, like a Clik-Klak sofa. I bought a clik-klak sofa about five years ago, as I needed something that could be slept on and used as a sofa. It had a little nicer look than a futon, but still had that functionality, and it wasn't as heavy as a sofa bed. After five years it has started to show wear. The center is starting to sag, and the fabric wrinkle. Five years out of a $200 sofa isn't too bad.

We recently replaced it with a sofa bed we got for free. It is heavy, but it is well made, and we should have it for more than a few years, it has a good mattress in it for guests. I am not looking forward to when we decide to get rid of it though, as I have no doubts it will be hard to find someone who will take it due to it's weight.
    alicia likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I purchase a new sleeper sofa from LaZBoy last month. It has the air mattress in it. It is very comfortable. the air mat fills up with the flick of a switch, and it also deflates the same way. We have this type of sofa in our 5th wheel trailer and it gets used quite a bit and everyone loves it. Because it is an air mat instead of the regular matress, it's a lot lighter, and lasts a lot longer than a futon.

My dh was in the furniture game (building new furniture)all of his career of over 50 years. He knows his furniture and when I told him I wanted a new sofabed for the living room, he said LaZBoy and I have to agree with him. I have learned over the years that purchasing cheap furniture isn't really cheap if that makes sense.

If you purchase a futon for $150 and use it, then have to replace it two years later, your actually spending $300 every 2 years. If you purchase a good, well built piece of furniture, it can last you a lifetime if you look after it. I got my sofabed on sale and it comes with a 5 year warranty on the sofa itself and a lifetime warranty on the mechanism. I paid less than $800. In 10 or more years, if I'm tired of the fabric, I cna have it reupholstered.

A lot of tiimes you can find really great pieces, such as the one I purchased on Kijiiji or craigslist so it becomes even more affordable.
    matrix82, lecale and frugal50 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    What about seeing if you can get replacement hinges? Maybe there is a chance to get better or aftermarket ones? See if you can search online for the company listed on your futon's tag or label.
    i don't need a replacement for the hinge, i just need someone strong with muscles to lift it up and match it to the hole.
    - H. H. Getter

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    What about something that is inbetween both of those, like a Clik-Klak sofa. I bought a clik-klak sofa about five years ago, as I needed something that could be slept on and used as a sofa. It had a little nicer look than a futon, but still had that functionality, and it wasn't as heavy as a sofa bed. After five years it has started to show wear. The center is starting to sag, and the fabric wrinkle. Five years out of a $200 sofa isn't too bad.

We recently replaced it with a sofa bed we got for free. It is heavy, but it is well made, and we should have it for more than a few years, it has a good mattress in it for guests. I am not looking forward to when we decide to get rid of it though, as I have no doubts it will be hard to find someone who will take it due to it's weight.
    interesting! i never heard of klik klak sofa .... until u mentioned it. only i need one with arm rest when laying on the couch to watch tv.
    - H. H. Getter

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I second the klik-klak sofa that matrix mentioned. I lived in an old low-rise apartment building which had really narrow hallways so that only way to get a couch in was a futon/klik-klak. I got mine from the Brick (I hate them too) for $400, but then went on sale within a month for $300 so I got the difference back. It has storage underneath which was a perk because my apartment was small so I could chuck stuff underneath it. It's a firm bed, which I love, and probably a better bed than sofa, but it was pretty decent. Mine had arms that came off when you used it as a bed but it looked like a pretty boxy couch. It's now in our spare bedroom - and we take it to the basement in the summer so it is a bit cooler to sleep.

there's the link to my klik-klak sofa: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=brown+...BpIG4Bg&zoom=1
    Last edited by alicia; Mon, Jul 30th, 2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: fixing typos
    matrix82, lecale and frugal50 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks, i'll definately look into the klik klak sofa......... sounds like what im looking for.
    - H. H. Getter

Thread Information