User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MillieH

Thread: Autistic child kicked out of New Jersey LIbrary

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I follow former "Real Housewives of New Jersey" star Jacqueline Laurita on various platforms. She is a mom to an autistic son. Today I saw a heartbreaking update on her twitter and instagram feed of how her son got kicked out of a library in their home town for tapping dvd's (a common behavior in autism) . She was told to take her son to a park, etc. and then forced to leave.

this is her instagram video.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BhUoXOag...-by=jaclaurita
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

feeling sad for the little boy, but is there more to the story?
    just wondering if the mom had some routines with her son, to calm him?
    just wondering if the mom had ways of distracting him, knowing his practice with DVDs?
    again, sad for the little boy

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It was likely more the non contextual vocals than the tapping. It is sadthat they could not be more understanding but hard to say if he was being really loud or they had complaints.

From what I have seen of the show, the mom can blow stuff out of proportion, especially when it comes to how people treat her kids, no matter what they have done
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I just hope personally as a mom of a child on the spectrum, that more can be done in ways of inclusiveness and education on the subject. You would never see a child with down's kicked out. Autism is not taken as seriously and is not as understood.

As for her blowing things out of proportion, I agree, she did on the show a lot, but when it comes to he being a mom to her son with a disability, i have found her to be much different. if anything she is an advocate. she left the show so she could full time be there for her son in need. I have seen changes in her as a person.

i mainly hate to see anyone being discriminated. libraries are for all. My son loves our library. they all know him and know his quirks, and they accept him. I think they just need to apologize and maybe even think about ways to include him.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Sadly we will jump in to blame the child, the mother , the bystanders, the librarian. The truth is that no one is really at fault. Bystanders would just see "a spoiled child who was throwing a tantrum with his mother instead of smacking his butt trying to talk calmly to him. We all see this much to often these days and its easy to jump to that conclusion.

If the librarian knew he has this issue and didn't try to work with them both, shame on her. It's quite possible the librarian didn't know, even if she did.. the behavior may have been such that sadly she had to ask them to leave. The mom definitely should have informed her. Some times all humans need a time out. As for blaming the mom and her routines to assist.. sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't No one can be on 100% and while its extremely rewarding at times, its definitely challenging and not easy to control every aspect to keep the child on an even keel.

There is no reason to blame anyone.. just an opportunity to find a way so the mom , child and everyone else at the library can enjoy the services.
    TudorChick likes this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is really sad. I can't believe the way some people behave.

Thread Information