• 2 Post By Mamabearrina
  • 1 Post By PrettyJade
  • 1 Post By uanoor

Thread: is there any good phone and phone deals/plans

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired on: Fri, Jun 1st, 2018
    Hi, i'm looking to get a decent smartphone that's not super expensive.. because my current one is not responding anymore (will try to see if it can be fixed but it's only a matter of time again). i don't know how much a decent phone will cost nowadays because my current phone was a gift and i used it for years.

i'm with chatr under an old mobilicity phone plan and would like to keep my old plan if possible (and must keep my current phone #). I mostly text, call in canada (less than 200 mins.) and only use home or public wifi to check emails, flyers, a few cashback apps.

thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i got this moto G5 in january...it was on sale for $149- at Fortinos.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-XT167.../dp/B06XH4396B

decent front & rear camera, i only use mine to text & the odd call so cant comment on the wi-fi signal.
    it says PC Mobile on the box, but it was unlocked when i transfered to virgin.
    no complaints.
    Aquaria likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you! my phone turn back on properly so now i have a little more time to shop around and find a reasonable phone (i hope).

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

If you're comfortable buying through sites like kijiji, it's possible to find below-retail prices on brand new phones that are being sold by people who get them as part of new mobile packages, but who prefer to use the phones they already have. Depending where you are, there can be a decent selection on offer, and you can keep offering the amount you want to pay until someone accepts. If you deal with an individual rather than a company, the price should be the price; i.e. no tax.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great advice. I bought my last phone (Sony Xperia Z2) on Kijiji in April 2013 for $250 and had the seller meet me at a Koodo store to verify to worked (and was not stolen). It was only a few months old at the time and I still use it as my primary phone (works excellent).

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Great advice. I bought my last phone (Sony Xperia Z2) on Kijiji in April 2013 for $250 and had the seller meet me at a Koodo store to verify to worked (and was not stolen). It was only a few months old at the time and I still use it as my primary phone (works excellent).
    I haven't actually bought or sold a phone through kijiji. What does one do to make sure it works? Put your own sim card in and make a call? Anything else? And how do you know if it's stolen?

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I haven't actually bought or sold a phone through kijiji. What does one do to make sure it works? Put your own sim card in and make a call? Anything else? And how do you know if it's stolen?
    Best thing to do would be to meet at your provider and get them to make sure it works and isnt black marketed. But they wont be able to tell you if any water damage or anything if the damage isnt physically noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mulock and r0c0upons like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had been looking to add myself under a shared family plan but it would have cost me around $90 to do so. I didn't want to pay a crazy amount.

So I just signed with Zoomer Wireless (under Rogers) with a promo they are currently having. I had a choice of phones as well or pay to upgrade to another phone. I went with the $36/mo. 400 minutes & 3GB of data. The choices are a Samsung J3 or Huawei GR5. I have had this for 2 months and have had no issues AND customer service is great whether calling or chatting online or email.
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyJade View Post
    So I just signed with Zoomer Wireless (under Rogers) with a promo they are currently having. I had a choice of phones as well or pay to upgrade to another phone. I went with the $36/mo. 400 minutes & 3GB of data. The choices are a Samsung J3 or Huawei GR5. I have had this for 2 months and have had no issues AND customer service is great whether calling or chatting online or email.
    My brother signed up with Zoomer, and he's another happy customer. (I did the research, told him to switch from PetroCan, he said "okay"...the plan, at the time was similar and included more data and the free phone on a 2 year contract).

Zoomer FYI:

1. Customer service is generally great.

2. Free phone on a 2 year contract. These phones are usually a year, or two, behind current phones on the market. They're not the latest/greatest. Some people use their own phones and resell the ones provided by Zoomer...on kijiji, craig's list, etc. If you decide to cancel the contract, you have to buyout the phone's remaining value. (Zoomer tends to overvalue their phones...so a $150 phone may actually only cost $100 at current market value). This could be an issue if a better plan comes up and you really want to switch providers.

3. Usually Zoomer has a referral program. I think it was $50 when my brother signed up, and may only be $25 now. Definitely look into this before signing up! Even if you sign up, Zoomer will still credit you with the referral bonus if you get the info to them within a certain time frame. (Referral works by giving BOTH parties a $ credit to the account).

4. Not sure if it will work with the new promos, but after 6 months of service, you can get a "Loyalty" promo -- unlimited, ANY time Canada-wide minutes. (Also enhanced voice mail). This is pretty cool -- unlimited voice calls! (It was very easy to get, via chat). Text is already unlimited.

5. As mentioned previously, Zoomer is from Rogers, so if you can expect the same clarity/reliability.

6. Free CARP membership, and Zoomer magazine subscription...which, er...senior discounts! (Dunno, don't use 'em).

In the latest Zoomer mag, they had this Talk & Text plan for $22.50/month:
    -- 300 Canada-wide minutes, unlimited evening and weekends
    -- unlimited text messages
    -- free Samsung Galaxy J1, on a 2 year term. ($150 no term...which is overvalued!)

There are better plans!!! (just use the above as guidance) On-line, new Zoomer promos can be found depending where you look.

There's decent data plans for low usage users. Hard to say...last few months, some data plans have been all over the place for pricing. I haven't mentioned them because I think the OP didn't need the data option, and uses wifi only. (Zoomer's $36 plan is the next step up for Talk, Text, and Data, I think).

For me...if I could be happy with a 2 year contract, an older tech phone, and reliable cell service, I would definitely look into Zoomer...with a referral credit! (free money!!!)

If you have your own phone, there are some $20 Talk/text plans floating around. (I think Rogers may be offering one for chatr users who switch to them).

I, personally, am a low, low, low usage, barely know cell phones/plans, except when I'm researching type -- and I'm using Fido's 3GB, $15/month data plan in my brother's Huawei GR5, and use voip apps for my calling/texting. We're both happy.

Also, if you're looking for an inexpensive phone, and can wait...Koodo has had good phones, (on tab), paired with gift card offers, (PC point offers, Walmart gc, Future shop, etc)...which, if you're comfortable with signing up for a plan, then cancelling immediately, (or 91 days after) and paying the outstanding tab -- can net you a good phone relatively cheap. It takes a bit more work, and is not for everyone...but, still worth considering if you only want a cheap(er) phone!

Good luck, OP -- hope you find a great replacement phone!
    Want to buy me a coffee? You can! But, you don't have to! In fact, I encourage you not to. ('Cuz postage is ridiculous). But, if you insist on it...well, you can drop a buck, or two, here: paypal.me/cyn88canada I emphasize, you do NOT have to -- a coffee icon tossed my way is gold. + =
    Illegitimi non carborundum!!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I just now found facebook market place. Just like kijiji (you buy locally inperson). Saw brand new good phones at very reasonable price.
    cyn88canada likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Thread Information