• 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Replacing Smoke detectors

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

How often should you replace smoke detectors?

I noticed several of mine have a manufactured date of 2003, so I'm guessing those need to be replaced ASAP. The rest are dated 2008-2010 so I'm imaging those need to be replaced soon as well. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them when tested either by pressing the button or with smoke from a match.

I'm hoping to replace them all this year along with my CO detector. So it's a bit of a moot point really.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

FWIW, and risking the wrath for posting, I believe the normal rule-of-thumb for smoke detectors is 10-years. Mine are monitored so then tell me when to replace and then then do. I have read that CO detectors are typically 5-7 years but that is only what I have read. Good luck.
    Last edited by NowRetired; Sun, Apr 29th, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
    Ciel and Darth Penguin like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I actually just replaced a 120V smoke detector last week, and replaced all the batteries in the rest of the smoke detector in the house. The "expiry" date on it was 2017. It made chirping noises to let us know it was time to replace it, which was good.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I replaced the smoke detectors in my home (when I bought it in Nov 2013).....the smoke detectors were original with a date stamped of 1989! I believe they should be replaced every 10-years.

I went to Costco and purchased three 2-pack of Kiddie smoke detectors for $19.99 a pack......very low-cost investment vs having to deal with your home burning to the ground.

I placed the smoke detectors: inside the garage, entryway hall, laundry room, main living area, and outside the bedrooms.

I also have a carbon monoxide detector outside the door to the garage, and two fire extinguishers (kitchen, garage) in the house.

When I hear about houses burning down with no smoke detector I just shake my head in disbelief given how affordable all those items are.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually replace my smoke detectors every Easter with new sealed units.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Replace every 10 years. Mine are hard wired into the house wiring on every level and when they start to get close to their time, they chirp and chirp and chirp.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Good that you checked all the units recently! Now you will probably either replace each one as funds allow or time purchase in October or early November when stores tends to have sales on units.

There's still an old 9V smoke detector in use (well over 15yr old; batteries get changed about every 2yr unless unit chirps much earlier) in the basement. When I have a spare $70 to spend, I will get the same 10yr sealed battery unit (photoelectric) that we put on the main floor last year to replace the one in use.

Since our kitchen is not equipped with a vent hood, an ionic unit or combo photoelectric/ionic unit is not suited for humid environments (not to mention the hallway where unit is hung also connects to a bathroom also unvented). An ionic unit will set off if I turn on the gas oven to heat up for baking or try to boil water.

There is so much fine print in the packaging when one buys a unit. Really assess what kinds of smoke detector suit each environment.

Do read the Consumer Reports online coverage of smoke detectors and CO2 units-lots of good things to know.
    Darth Penguin likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Noticed the second time that the downstairs unit was taken down by a parent within 3 weeks. I checked the 9V and it's almost out of the Good range. Popped in the other 9V I had and marked installation date. Probably should get another fresh pack of 9V in case this one drains quickly too. I did not ask what the unit had done to merit a takedown but a replacement unit remains off the budget for the time being.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

False alarms with ionization units due to humidity:

Alexandra Davis said in an email that photoelectric alarms are generally superior to ionizing alarms, which can be set off by humidity and cooking.
    https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...-false-alarms/

Yes, I have personal experience with an ionizing unit that would squawk within 30 sec of turning on a gas oven or when water was reaching boiling point on the stovetop...! Our new unit is a photoelectric one for the basic reason that it's hanging spot is right by the kitchen but also in the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom. Lots of humidity in that hallway!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Enbridge (Union Gas owner-name change in progress) has written about natural gas alarms in at least two of its monthly newsletters this year. Never knew they existed and Lowes does not seem to have them. The content says that regular smoke alarms won't detect gas leaks...so gas customers are advised to get the other alarms. I don't recall Consumer Reports mentioning these gas alarms in any reviews. Does an SCer have such alarms? What did they cost?

Gee, how many detectors is one to have in a residence? Regular smoke alarms-at least one per level plus a C02 monitor too. Now we're to add a third detector? Don't have enough pegs in the same place where the other two alarms are.

$$ flying out of the wallet but not as much $$ are going into same wallet...

Thread Information