User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Mortgage savings vrs retirement savings.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I agree with Lilo that having a paid of mortgage is a huge relief and oppotunity to save more in the RRSP later. One other thing that I don't think I saw mentioned-in case your husband should get a severance later on( downsizing etc) , some of it can be transferred based on your unused RRSP room. Several years ago I received a large severance of almost 2 years salary-I had faithfully pd into my RRSP every year and did not have any unused room to transfer part of the severance into. I wished I had saved some as it is always there for your use later( for eg when you pay off your mortgage and have an extra $1,000 per month). Instead I ended up paying about $50,000 in taxes-ouch!!
    lizzie, you say you wish you had saved some of your severance. Did you use it to pay off your house, or did you use it for CC debt or something like that? If so, than you did fine with your money.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@lizzie bargain that is a good point. In fact this worked for us. DH had a significant severance in 2017 and he had carry over room and the company was still matching his rrsp despite the termination so we put a huge chunk into his RRSP. we had the carry over from earlier years of marriage and kids when there was more month than money.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I actually invested all my severance money and it is still in the bank. I meant I wished I had saved RRSP room.
    Giseledta and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    ok. so ... I know I am simply over thinking this.. but I thought I would ask the hive mind...

my husband job is stable. he has a rrsp. that we put money toward monthly.
    we also have a tfsa for me.

and a mortgage that has 11.5 yrs left.

we have a bit of room in the rrsp that we could then max that a bit. or we could put the amount to the mortgage an pay it off..
    however it would really only take 1 year off...

so .. should we put the extra to retirement... and enjoy the power of compound interest... or try and be mortgage free sooner....
    remember the guy who paid off his Toronto home in 3 years, before the age of 30?
    he lived in the basement, rented the upstairs, rode his bike, ate KD, worked a finance job and a side hustle working at No Frills too

now he's travelling across Canada

Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, May 10th, 2018 at 07:20 AM.
    Giseledta, ROMEO and macw1960 like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    remember the guy who paid off his Toronto home in 3 years, before the age of 30?
    he lived in the basement, rented the upstairs, rode his bike, ate KD, worked a finance job and a side hustle working at No Frills too
    now he's travelling across Canada
    Hmm...I'm all for saving money, but I'm not sure I could advocate a diet of KD. I think there was another guy who just ate PB sandwiches every single day and he made them in monthly batches.

And as for renting, my parents have rented out their properties for nearly 60 years now, and the trouble the tenants have caused (including burning a three-storey apartment building to a crisp, rent arrears, drunken brawls, etc.) are not really my cup of tea. A good tenant is golden, a bad tenant is like having rodents who bring friends. What we paid in mortgage interest was peanuts compared to what my parents had to pay to repair damages over the years, or lost from people unwilling to pay their rent.

Side hustle, biking - thumbs up! Kudos to him, but I don't think I could do what he did.
    Giseledta, ROMEO, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    the raise is not huge. however. I am a full believer in not letting money just get absorbed into the budget.. making every little dime work.

and we are starting late to retirement.

@MOrtagequeen any wise words of advice.
    My first thought is to be sure you have 3 to 6 months worth of income in accessible savings. If that's a TFSA, then that's fine. RRSP's are taxable when withdrawn, so a financial advisor would be best to help you plan the best strategy.

Rates are continuing to go up, so as far as a mortgage is concerned. . .while it's true the rates are and will continue to increase, it's still relatively cheap money. Debts should be paid first and foremost (higher interest) If you really want to make it less painful, you can likely increase your mortgage payment amount. The nice thing about that, is it helps pay down faster BUT if you ever run into trouble, you can drop it back down to regular amount.

I also think if you're financially stable. . . don't forget to live and enjoy life. Take a meaningful trip (not just fun in the sun, but maybe Europe or somewhere you'll have an "experience"). Life is short. Don't forget to make some great memories for your old age!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information