User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Dollar Stores charging for bags May 2018

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by princessjen View Post
    My Dollarrama started this too. They didn't even ask me if I wanted to buy a bag, he automatically charged me for it.
    Actually, this can happen at Shoppers if a customer does not ask first about a charge when the cashier asks if you need a bag. The odd time, cashiers will provide a small bag for cards free or a large bag for bathroom tissue or facial tissues. But most times, the bag ask means you are about to pay for the bag.
    barbis9 and Shwa Girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Starting tomorrow Dollar Tree will be charging for bags.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwis-mom View Post
    I just wish that the money all these stores collect actually went to helping improve the environment. Most don't say or prove exactly what the 5 cents a bag they collect goes to, other than their bottom line!
    This. I used to work for a bag company way back when, and the big chains pay at most something like 1 penny a bag, if not less.

Either way, whether you take one, or you leave it behind, it's for their bottom line.
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Wed, May 9th, 2018 at 12:55 PM.
    ROMEO, kiwis-mom, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yes it is definitely a money grab. I have a nylon fold-able bag that I keep in my coat pocket that I have started using as I refuse to pay for bags at the dollar store. The prices have gone way up - they need to change their name to China-rama or the China tree.
    abbasgirl, kiwis-mom, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

got this silicone mat today... $4- https://www.amazon.ca/Monster-Silico.../dp/B075ST6VFH

& a string of solar lites for $4-
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

sign at the front door of Dollar Tree
    'in order to reduce the use of plastic, we are charging 5 cents for bags at the cash..."
    reduce the use of plastic?
    there are many, many plastic products at dollar stores
    if not sold, they put them in their dumpster, which goes to the landfill
    have seen their overflowing dumpster many times
    (nope, did not dumpster dive)

start at 1:07
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Thu, May 10th, 2018 at 07:10 AM.
    abbasgirl, Ciel, Poirot and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I passed my local Dollarama store and noticed a sign in the entry way that the bag charge began on April 22 (Earth Day).

If you buy lots of bulky items at dollar stores, I really recommend the black rectangular tote with lift up cardboard bottom. If your Fortinos/Loblaws/RCSS sell them (they've been MIA since fall in Ancaster), get one. Farmboy has the same ones but with their logo for $5.99 too (Harvard Square in Hamilton_West Mountain).
    Shwa Girl and JDI007 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dollarama is selling their own branded green Dollarama reusable bags 3 for $1. They are bigger than the bags other stores have, and more of a canvas type material. I bought one for $0.33
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Dollarama is selling their own branded green Dollarama reusable bags 3 for $1. They are bigger than the bags other stores have, and more of a canvas type material. I bought one for $0.33
    Is the stitching good and can the bag take bulky/heavy items?
    I used to love Rexall's little 99cent bags but I've had issues with the ones with the red logos-stitches fall apart and the bags cannot carry 12 bottles of water-been there and watched my bag fall apart. The ones with blue logos are hit or miss in stitching staying put.
    Rexall's larger bags are worth the money and can carry pop or water or even 2kg of Epsom salts if other items are lightweight.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Got an e-mail that Longo's will begin charging 5 cents per plastic bag on March 1, 2019.

Thank You Rewards members, check your e-mails. You will have received a coupon for a free recyclable tote bag when you swipe your card and show the coupon.

Longos also sells all sizes and kinds of tote bags and insulated bags.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Longos Thank You Reward Customers will earn 10 bonus TYR points for every reusable bag used in store between April 18-30. Must have your TYR card swiped at cash(per e-mail) and the barcode from the e-mail.

Farm Boy-Monday April 22 only-buy one FB black and white tote bag for 99cents and get a second one free (new flyer promo).
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Apr 18th, 2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: corrected terms of Longos offer

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw a rare Starsky's flyer in today's paper bundle. Mention of new 5 cent charge per plastic shopping bag as of May 1.
    Reusable bags have been lowered in price to 99cents.

Had an oopsie with my small Hart store reusable bag over two weekends ago. I bought a $1 bag of bananas (about 3lbs) at Walmart along with 1L of milk on reduced price, and two other food items. Bagged my purchases and two steps away from the conveyor belt, the bag split open about 8 inches down from opening. Somehow managed to carry the bag/contents, another plastic bag of stuff plus my umbrella without dropping a thing. Not all reusuable bags are meant for heavy groceries. However, the same Hart tote did carry three single curtain panels (but bag was heavy and that one hand could not carry another bag too), so it did its job when I was bagless but bought the curtains!

I really stand by the PC small black totes for 99cents (ask at cash if store does not have a display rack-some stores no longer have the bags at the front of a cash area)-they can carry a 12 can case of pop, or a 96ct laundry detergent jug several times. I can get about 6 months of regular use for produce and those heavier items. I still have the larger black PC tote (used for two years to keep old table legs out of the way) but no way would I lug heavy items in it. The larger bag would suit a multi-buy of chips, sliced bread or very little or light things. Ciel wants no part in losing groceries due to gravity/sidewalk burn if she cannot clear the ground when toting.

Thus why Ciel has a wheeled Kitchen Stuff Plus cart-for the times canned drinks or big bag of flour or heavy groceries would flatten Ciel in under 5min if she were to tote the lot in bags alone...

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of the crinkly sounding plastic bags that are open or zippered-the sound drives me bonkers and the depth of the bag is gravity-lowering if heavy items are toted. I don't always have smooth sidewalks for my shopping trips by foot-often I have to go on gravel terrain or road shoulders, so that is why I like the large weeks of my shopping cart.

I will use a small or large folding tote for certain things in good weather conditions only.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, May 22nd, 2019 at 08:13 PM.
    cyn88canada likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mission Thrift Stores will begin charging 5 cents per bag as of July 2, 2019:
    https://www.facebook.com/MissionThri...type=3&theater

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

On July 22, Muji stores join the 5cents per bag brigade if you don't bring your own bag.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

On Sept. 16, you will have to pay 5 cents per bag if you need one from Winners/Homesense/Marshalls. Net proceeds will go to the Nature Conservancy of Canada and other environmental initiatives. https://www.winners.ca/en/faq

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information