User Tag List

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired on: Fri, Jan 4th, 2019
    hi, it seems like everything is breaking for me this year. i have old macbook pro 13-inch (bought it in 2010), running OS X El Captain. today, i got warning: Replace Soon: The battery is functioning normally but holds less charge than it was new. I check system info and it says Health Info, cycle count 1648... which if i found out just now that the limit is 1000.

so i want to fix this. Do you know if the battery can be removed and i just directly plug in the charger only when i need it? Or do i really need to buy a new battery? i look up prices on apple site and it seems like it'll cost at least CAD$269 (cries). is there any alternative?

thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you dont NEED a battery perse to operate the MacBook, but you will probably suffer a performance loss if the battery is dead... if you havent already (or more notably, you might notice an increase in perforamance if you opt to replace the battery). You might even experience random shut-downs, losing whatever you were working on.

Also, without a functioning battery, you WILL lose your date and time settings every time you unplug the AC Adapter. (Your MacBook doesnt have RTC batteries like PC's do -- because the battery was built in, it wasnt expected people would remove them themselves

--

Also, you dont need to buy your battery from Apple.

You can get a battery for about $60-120 depending on where you shop -- and from a reputable seller, usually comes with the special tools (proprietary screw tips) you need to take the bottom panel off and remove the battery.

The battery for your MBPro 13 should be the same from 2009 to 2012 models...

try here as an example: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DMCGBF0 (might not be for your model... scroll down to the detailed product description where they list all the model #s that it is compatible with)

Just dont shop ebay -- there are so many battery crooks on there, it's not funny.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

We are going through this now and the battery is attached to the top plate so the whole thing needs replacing.

My daughter didn't register her apple care but thankfully even though it was 37 days too late they were nice enough to do it still.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    We are going through this now and the battery is attached to the top plate so the whole thing needs replacing.
    My daughter didn't register her apple care but thankfully even though it was 37 days too late they were nice enough to do it still.
    Not sure what model you have, but the OP's model (MacBook 13 - 2010) shouldnt need to replace the whole unit. It's a pretty straight forward battery replacement... I've done this at least a dozen times on my job in the past few years.

There are 10 basic Phillips screws to remove the bottom panel (3 are longer than the rest, dont mix them up),
    Once you have the bottom panel removed, the battery is held in my two tri-lobe screws (you'll need the special screwdriver for this).
    Detach the connector on the battery from the motherboard, and the battery will easily come out.

install the new battery in the same manner as the original and replace the screws.

Your new battery should be conditioned before using the computer fully:
    (this ensures that the power levels displayed on the computer are accurate and that it doesnt power down on you or reduce your CPU performance.)
    After the new battery is installed:
    1.) Charge the MacBook fully with the computer OFF -- until the adapter light turns green.
    2.) Power on the MacBook and disable all of the power saving options... (dont bother setting the date & time, you're going to kill the battery again)
    3.) Disconnect the adapter and let the laptop stay on to completely discharge the battery.
    4.) once it dies, Leave it off for several hours afterward (overnight even) before turning it back on.
    5.) Hold the power button in (while unplugged and dead) for 20 seconds to ensure no residual charge remains.
    6.) plug in the power adapter again, leaving it off, and let the battery charge again (until the AC adapter light turns green).

Power it back on and at this point you're good to go and you can now set your date and time.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

macbook pro 2016
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Thread Information