Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Where to buy a sewing machine?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Search online store dear

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love how this thread was reactivated and the second comment mentions "Sears." Oh the memories.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bought my Singer Traditional on sale for $100 from Amazon. I'm very happy with it. Very basic. I use it mostly for mending and alterations, sometimes to make simple things like cushion case, bento bags, teapot cozy... I use it about 1-3 times a month, a casual user. What is important to me was needle-threader. Surprising feature for a low-cost sewing machine. I've had it for 4 years. Well worth the cost.

Singer goes on sew on Amazon regularly. You can add them to the wishlist and watch it for a month or two.
    Purdee, Ciel and juliemadden like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Singer machines usually require Singer-brand accessories, so keep that in mind if you want to change sewing feet or other bits.

At the mention of Sears-I had often looked in the sewing accessories area in the last 5 years of business. The quilting sewing feet would fit on most brands of machines (but not Singer!) and I really wanted a large sewing basket or the big thread case with 30 spools of thread. Also, the store sold those Singer brushes for cleaning lint and fabric bits out of the bobbin case. The brush bristles are fine and great at nabbing bits, but I cannot say the same for the smaller black plastic bristle brushes provided for the same purpose. In the 1990s, I often ordered needles and other things from the catalogues as the metal Kenmore sewing machine (cabinet) was still actively in use.

Nova Sewing in Hamilton & London sells new machines but also puts store models on sale and used machines for sale on its website.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I bought my singer sewing machine boxing week of 2017 for $135 on amazon; it was originally $263. I thought it was a deal. It does come with the needle threader
    I wanted a heavy duty one to do jeans so after some research, reading reviews and considered how often i use it (casually) and the price tag, i went with the singer heavy duty. Both hubby and i have to have our pants and jeans hemmed and it used to cost us $10-15 per pairs. I also do pillow cases and mending here and there.
    The mall in town has a fabric land store where i buy threads including ones for jeans. And heavy duty needles required for jeans. FYI i thought threads at dollarama would be good and cheap but they are not; they are more expensive than fabricland and cheap quality. I bought 3 small spools of threads at fabricland sale for $1. So it doesn't hurt to browse in a fabric store, if u have one in your area.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Actually Fabricland has its Birthday sale this month and most stores are doing draws for a sewing machine at their location too.

I like that Fabricland stocks different kinds of Gutermann thread. I saw online a suggestion that people have a travel sewing kit with some basic thread colours (white, black, beige) plus invisible thread! Never know when a garment at a special event will unravel a hem or seam or someone's button pops off. I need a new Singer brush for my machine as I keep using the very old one from the sewing cabinet. Could use more bobbins as well. Have to get an accessory foot for zipper (someone suggested a piping foot could be better) attachments-my Janome does not have one.
    Purdee likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's this mini sewing machine from Varmax available on amazon from 30$! It has a great number of positive reviews. I'm thinking of getting that one for myself as well.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Best to go to a store where you can see the machines or if you are familiar with certain brands and want secondhand, scope your community bulletin boards, community classifieds and online sales classifieds for items that meet your sewing needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information