Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By The__Rock
  • 6 Post By bhlombardy
  • 3 Post By coupongirl99
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Federal Taxes

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

AS IF we needed yet another reason to vote against the current comic book prime minister and his corrupt regime:

I do my taxes by hand......first I do them - which, with mistakes or misplacing a number on a wrong line - can take a couple of copies of the tax form + the schedules, then I wait one clear day, then go back to review everything de novo, and do a final copy.

THIS YEAR........there's only 1 copy of the Return in the tax package, 1 copy of the capital gains Schedule and the whole thing is made even more difficult to manoeuvre because the forms are in BLACK and GREY.

Last year when this FEDERAL REGIME stopped issuing forms at the post office, I'd phoned them then waited 5 weeks till they arrived.

This year I called Feb 1st, then had to keep trying for a week to get thru; the forms arrived today, dog eared and soiled in a torn envelope.

A prime minister who can't even deliveras basic a service as a tax form.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In all serious - bro - its 2019. Time to use a computer. Did you go to the post office by horse and buggy?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First up... This really belongs in the First World Problems forum.
    Now on to the topic:

Quote Originally Posted by simonsave$now View Post
    Last year... ...this FEDERAL REGIME stopped issuing forms at the post office...

There's a HUGE cost to the publishing and national distribution of millions of tax packages. A cost that ultimately goes to waste after tax season because the vast majority of tax-payers don't even use them.

Saving taxpayers from this burden of costs of design, printing, distribution, and then recollection and destroying all of that wasted effort seems like a sound decision to me. Not to mention the environmental impact of NOT wasting all of that paper.

I do my taxes by hand......first I do them - which, with mistakes or misplacing a number on a wrong line - can take a couple of copies of the tax form + the schedules, then I wait one clear day, then go back to review everything de novo, and do a final copy.
    The majority of tax-payers either do their taxes themselves electronically (through any number of available software options, several of which are completely free of charge)... or they hire a tax-preparing firm (which is also done electronically). It takes all of about 10-15 minutes (30 if yours is REALLY complex) -- You would be hard-pressed to make calculation errors (the software does that heavy-lifting), nor (really) enter information on the wrong lines. If you somehow manage this, you can press the delete key on any given space, and fix it without starting over from scratch. -- Paper tax forms are virtually obsolete.

That said, admittedly there ARE some like yourself who are either incapable or unwilling to do them electronically and still do them by hand.

Unfortunately, you need to recognize that this DOES place you in the definite minority of tax-preparers and anticipate the hurdles associated with that.

(to borrow The__Rock's analogy: )
    Just like someone who still chooses to ride a horse to go out and buy groceries. Sure, you're allowed to and it's still legal. However roadways and parking lots are designed to accommodate motor vehicles because it's 2019 (not 1919) and that's what the vast majority of the population are using these days. The horse-rider needs to recognize that progress is being made around him or her and to accept the limitations of his/her choice... such as there wont be a hitching-post nor feeding trough in front of the Superstore when they arrive.

THIS YEAR there's only 1 copy of the Return in the tax package, 1 copy of the capital gains Schedule
    The government only expects you to complete ONE return. So why would they supply you more than that? They arent going to supply you multiple copies because you (admittedly) make several errors and perform miscalculations on the forms themselves. That's your doing, not theirs.

the whole thing is made even more difficult to manoeuvre because the forms are in BLACK and GREY.*
    BOO-HOO! This is TOTALLY a first world complaint. As above, the savings in the cost of coloured ink for the smattering of hand-completed forms being used, is a reasonable saving for tax-payers who would otherwise not even see these forms.

This year I called Feb 1st, then had to keep trying for a week to get thru; the forms arrived today...
    All reporting statements from employers and financial institutions (T4's, etc) aren't even legally due to you until Feb.28th. Lucky for you if you happen to have all of those already... but you DID already receive your ORIGINAL tax package (from what I interpret) just not the additional copies that you had hoped for. So you WERE technically able to complete your taxes before today.

Regardless, if you now have the multiple copies, you still have over two whole months to do your taxes... how is this a problem?

...the forms arrived today, dog eared and soiled in a torn envelope.*
    By your own admission, you're going to mess them up with errors and miscalculations anyway... so what's the problem?

A prime minister who can't even deliver as basic a service as a tax form.
    Again, if I read you correctly, you DID receive a set of forms with your original tax package (which I assume was within the past month). You got as many as you required, just not as many copies as you had hoped. So no real failure there.

Also, I'm not sure that the PM is entirely responsible for how EXTRA forms are delivered, after your request. But if you got them within 2 weeks of your request, I'd say that's pretty decent for ANY government agency, much less the CRA. But, you can blame him if you want, I suppose. Hell, I pay taxes and thus his salary, as wells the salaries of those working for CRA, so you can blame me too if it makes you feel better.

AS IF we needed yet another reason to vote against the current comic book prime minister
    Ironically, you are looking for pristine copies (read: not dog-eared nor soiled) of a paper-published booklet with coloured pages... the very one that you blame the current PM for all but abolishing, yet HE is the "comic book" personality here??

*(Don't think we hadn't noticed the dramatic over-sized font you used above, adding bold face and multiple colours.)
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Feb 26th, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Unfortunately for the ever dwindling older population progress into the modern technology age is leaving them behind. I know I have older relatives that if it wasn't for us "youngins" (and I use that term loosely!) help they would be completely left behind. Now to the OP, I completely understand some people are resistant to change (I can be like that too on certain things) but its good to try new things. I choose to believe it actually keeps us young! You clearly know your way around computers - you've posted on a message board, know how to change font size, style and colour - that's more than 1/2 the battle IMO - try taking a leap and doing your taxes online. You might get a surprise and find its not half bad. Just a suggestion but good luck either way.
    Ciel, torontogal12 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I noticed tax booklets in the post office before Feb. 18. I thought all mailed out tax booklets landed in mailboxes in January? My brother got his one day and my kit came about 4 days later.

Yes, it'll be an adjustment to use the black and grey forms. I do miss the green forms-easy on the eyes!
    dededi likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I resisted computerised tax filing as long as I could. Finally, when my MIL came to live with and depend on us, three returns was one too many. I could not believe how relatively easy a programme like Quick Tax was to do. Then about ten years ago I discovered Studio Tax and have used it ever since. It is free, easy and every bit as good or better than paid programmes. So, I urge people to put away their pencils and paper. Download and use Studio Tax. Tax season is so much easier. Even submissions are a click of the button. 🙄

Thread Information